The online racing simulator
The GTA IV thread
(1843 posts, started )
From the GTA IV readme:

"During the Grand Theft Auto IV installation you will be prompted to register with Games for Windows - LIVE and Rockstar Games Social Club. Please note that registration into either is not mandatory to play the single player campaign. In order to experience the maximum functionality of Grand Theft Auto IV PC, including the ability to play multiplayer, share your own user-created videos online, and compete and share stats with friends and other gamers, we highly recommend that you sign up for both."
passing doesn't mean much. my computer passed for Bioshock and Assasin's Creed and I still can't get above 50 fps in LFS with 2X AA.
how come it says i have 880mb of video ram while I only have an 8400m gs?
Hate to sign up for stuff, well gonna let the spam filter take care of it.
From what i know it shares some of your ram with the gfx card memory.
Got of another forum

Quote :6) KNOWN ISSUES

NVIDIA:
General:
Occasionally the tree leaves will appear as square boxes.

6000/7000 series cards:
Cars do not show damage.
Changing the resolution or minimizing the game can sometimes result in visual
corruption. You can restart the game to resolve this issue.

ATI:
General:
A slightly visible diagonal line appears across the screen.

1900 or less series cards:
Cars do not show damage.

3600 series cards:
Can show very noticeable banding.

3870 X2:
Rain drops show up as bright white / red dots on screen

Crossfire game side bugs:
Interior and Night time shadows blink until approached.
When transitioning from interior to exterior the screen will pulse with different
intensities of light for a few seconds.
On occasion the water will jitter rapidly.

or in other words its coded by drunken lemurs... or italians
I hope this will have a proper LAN mode so I can play with my friend when we are in LAN connection...

And yes, this again is another game I'm waiting for. I think the earlier GTA:s weren't good (tho the first one was pure win on it's time), but SAMP was full of fun and this IV seems like it is going to be it in SP mode too.
Quote :1900 or less series cards:
Cars do not show damage.

Ah damn. I've got an X1800XT.
Quote from Bose321 :I can buy GTR Evo for 5 euro at the local store here, just like FlatOut. I never liked Steam, i even hate it.

That's because you don't live in Brazil... There's no FlatOut in Brazil stores, and GTR Evo on the stores costs ~35 euros, while we can buy it for 29 dollars on steam.

@ rc10racer: Yes! I won't expect any bug from this game with my specs lol
Quote :
3600 series cards:
Can show very noticeable banding.

HD3650 here

And i've read that it uses SecuRom illepall When will developers learn that copy protection doesn't work at all :/ Honest buyers are stuffed with some piece of shit malware and are forced to keep the dvd inserted, warez users can play without all that crap :/
Quote from kingfag :And i've read that it uses SecuRom illepall When will developers learn that copy protection doesn't work at all :/ Honest buyers are stuffed with some piece of shit malware and are forced to keep the dvd inserted, warez users can play without all that crap :/

From what I can gather, it's not the evil version of Securom favoured by EA. It doesn't limit your installations, Securom doesn't slow your entire computer to a crawl like StarForce does, and yes you need to activate your installation once, and need the disk in the drive to play it. Activation is no big deal, it's perfectly reasonable. Keeping the disk in the drive is a niggle but it's bloody obvious why they do it - to stop people lending the disk to their friend who installs it and can play it without needing the disk. Of course it can be cracked which prompts some people to complain about them screwing the legitimate buyers, but that's a bit like saying there's no point locking your car doors because someone can smash the window.

The kind of plain restrictive, awkward DRM used on EA's Spore is a totally different matter, however...
More about the DRM.

Quote :Rockstar: GTA IV PC uses SecuROM for protecting our EXE until street date has passed, to ensure the retail disk is in the computer drive, and is used for Product Activation of the title. Product Activation is a one time only online authentication when installing the game. GTA IV has no install limits for the retail disc version of the game, and that version can be installed on an unlimited number of PCs by the retail disk owner.

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/934/934268p1.html
Quote from STROBE :Keeping the disk in the drive is a niggle but it's bloody obvious why they do it - to stop people lending the disk to their friend who installs it and can play it without needing the disk.

who otherwise grabs one of the readily available nocd cracks while the guy who bought it plays the game with ear protection trying hard to pretend the cd drive doesnt make a proper racket
Quote from kingfag :HD3650 here

And i've read that it uses SecuRom illepall When will developers learn that copy protection doesn't work at all :/ Honest buyers are stuffed with some piece of shit malware and are forced to keep the dvd inserted, warez users can play without all that crap :/

STEAM version of GTA IV will not use SecuRom (kind of obviously)
Nor do any other game on steam use any kind of protection system. And I just love that

PS: I'll only be able to buy the game in December 15th thought I won't have money to buy GTA IV before that day.
I think it is an annoyance that you need to have the dvd in the drive. I would think that you could nowadays create a system that checks online every time you start the game, kinda like lfs multiplayer (I really can't think many downsides to that kind of service). Instead of making things harder and more annoying things should be made easier. Instead of throwing money at the copy protection makers why not code a better and more bullerproof system yourself that even is better to use, something that is integrated with the game .exe and installs and removed itself when you remove the damn game (not leaving all kinds of traces and stuff running on your comp). The copy protection just annoys the paying customers and is cracked 5 minutes after the game is released anyways. Plus the danger of straching my cd when I have to take it in and out every time I want to play something. And from one topic to another, I find it pure pain in the assimilation that sometimes I have to download illegal mp3s to be able to listen to the music CD I just bought and paid for on my computer. And who the **** pissed on my cereals??

[/rant]
Bit of a silly test IMO, but anyway...
Attached images
SysReqs.jpg
Quote from Velociround :STEAM version of GTA IV will not use SecuRom (kind of obviously)
Nor do any other game on steam use any kind of protection system. And I just love that

It will, just not the CD check. It still uses the required online activation and instead of the CD check, it checks for a valid Steam account.
Quote from IGN interview with Rockstar :
Is this game going to be available on Steam? And if you are using SecuROM on the retail version, will it also be a part of the any version distributed digitally? Either via Steam or other?

Rockstar: All versions of the game will use SecuROM functionality. Steam will requires an extra layer of code to purchase and buy the game via Steam. Since Steam requires a login it will not have install limits that some other Digital Download copies will.

And there are more games with DRM (other than Steams own validation), like BioShock demo (a free demo FFS!):
Quote from http://store.steampowered.com/app/7710/ :Note: Contains SecuROM copy control software. Installations limited to five PCs per license

Securom has a very bad reputation, just take a look at the wikipedia page. I think it's ridiculous that honest paying customers are stuffed up with something that looks a lot like a virus.
If you buy it from direct2drive you can avoid having to keep the disk in the drive too as its purely a download with no physical media, similar to Steam. Not sure if that method uses any DRM (I'd be surprised if it didn't though).
Quote from JohnUK89 :Bit of a silly test IMO, but anyway...

lol the bars aren't even maxed out. Fail.
Quote from runeman :
I don't understand, why I can't make a thread, regardless if there is a similar one, if a moderator feels this thread is useless, then he'll delete it.

Sorry to personnally attack you, but in my defense... I did.

Like I & others have said before the GTA IV thread already exists adding PC to it doesn't make it a new thread. You really are as stupid as your insults sound.

The GTA IV thread
(1843 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG