The online racing simulator
What is up with you guys...?
(94 posts, started )
Quote from NoYPiDRiFTER :Hi Live for Speed Racers,

I have noticed around this LFS community, that a lot of people are just getting flamed for no reason. I've seen reasons like someone made a topic for something and there is already another topic for that something. Then when someone bumps that said topic and its very old, that person gets flamed again. I think people really should be able to say their thoughts without getting flamed or dissed. We should all be friends. This is really unacceptable in my opinion. If there is more flaming here, then I would suggest a mod to close this thread.

-NoYPiDRiFTeR

People are flamed for bumping threads for one of mainly two reasons.

Either their comment is stupid and worthless, and either drags up an old argument or is offtopic crap, or they've done something else stupid such as ignore the blatantly obvious stickies or something.

But yes, people's patience runs thin and sometimes we all say/do things we shouldn't.
Quote from MauroDiaz : .... (and usually from same users) ... like a closed group that no one should be allowed to be part of... again, feels like it... which is something very different to what I'd call a community...

...... the end result is that I (and some others I believe) never get to participate in any discussion... ...

This is quite common on forums in my experience. It's a common tendency for some of the so called "regulars" to feel that somehow because they've contributed a lot to a forum over a period of time that some how they get kind of "privileges" and feel that they can say what they like to others, particularly so called "noobs".

To be honest I think this forum is kind of average in that regard. I've certainly seen a lot lot worse forums in terms of bullying, flaming and just generally unacceptable posting. I have to say though I have also seen one or two far better forum atmospheres. They all have one thing in common and that is a complete ban on posting any topics relating to politics, religion as well as any kind of flaming or personal insults etc. Any such threads/posts get deleted as soon as they're seen and the poster gets a polite warning to not do it again. Of course there are sometimes complaints about dictatorial moderating but it seems to work very well. Amazing really as one of the forums in question is frequented by the kind of people oft regarded as being bonehead kuckle draggers by the general public.
Quote from mrodgers :I don't believe he claims it as him having a problem with it. Sam just gave the OP a suggestion. A valid suggestion IMO.

A little story. I was once new to LFS. I found the forum on RSC. When I wasn't racing (if that is what you'd call it back then) I was on the forum on RSC. I joined in 2005, and I was reading forum posts that dated clear back to when the first demo was released. My point, I was interested in LFS, so I used my reading ability to learn more about it, all on my own.

I fly RC airplanes (or use to until I crashed it for the final time). It is quite intimidating to fly RC for the first time. You can go out and spend $1000 or more very easily, launch it in the air and within mere seconds, have a $1000 pile of scrap sitting 10 feet in front of you. I didn't want that to happen. I wanted to purchase the right aircraft to get me flying, get me learning, and allow me to join the hobby. I didn't ask on the RC forum, I read the RC forum. I found the million threads asking "what 1st airplane?" I noticed a pattern of X, Y, and Z airplanes being suggested to a beginner. I searched out info on X, Y, and Z airplanes. I learned the pros and cons of those and narrowed it down further. I purchased my first airplane with that information and never made a single post. I was completely happy with my selection and posted my first on the RC forum with my enthusiasm after the first day of launching it in the air and flying.

I flew my "beginner" airplane for 2 years, and crashed it many many times as well. I had thousands of flights on it. It was a fantastic purchase to get me flying in the RC hobby. I had a great experience because I researched it and made up my own mind from the information I had right in front of me.

Sometimes, I wonder if I am the only one in the world who gets interested in something such as RC, sim racing, guitar, photography, or whatever hobby I am in at the moment that actually seeks out information and knowledge on my own rather than finding a forum and immediately asking questions.

I can fly RC airplanes, race with racing simulators, play guitar, shoot photography in full manual mode, fly flight sims, play GTA, and everything else I do without ever having the need to ask a question on a forum.

I sometimes wonder, how did my daughter ever learn to ride a bike? She is of the current generation of children, and she never asked how to ride a bike on a forum. How in the world did she do that? People today have no patience to learn anything. They want instant gratification, and you don't get that by seeking out the information themselves.

The funniest ones are those who ask a question on forums, then post 10 minutes later, "No one want to answer me?" I have to laugh every time I see that.

I fly model aircraft as well, have done since 2005, I recently built my first large model http://www.apacheaviation.co.uk/Chipmunks/Pepsi/pepsi.html wood ,glue and months of swearing later I flew it, Incredibly rewarding and terrifying in equal measures.

To OP I find you get what you give in LFS at least on the track, yes there a few on the forums who seems to enjoy flaming others, for me I never really saw the appeal of It.

LFS is just like life you get the good ,the bad and Ugly.
People should have the discipline to just not reply a thread if they think it's worthless.

The thread will drop down the order quicker that way.
Nope, because if not answered, most of those certain OPs will bump it themselves via "no answres yet?", "XX views but noone replied?", "C'mon, please" or a simple "bump".
#31 - VoiD
Quote from Joris :People should have the discipline to just not reply a thread if they think it's worthless...

It´s common sense, isn't it...?
Quote from VoiD :It´s common sense, isn't it...?

Not anymore since someone introduced the post counting feature into webforums
There already was a thread like this...........................:bananadea

sorry i just had too
If you look closely I'll bet there is at least 10 topics about the same subject, about people not feeling they get the right treatment by fellow forum members.
This ain't a democracy!
#36 - VoiD
Quote from NightShift :Not anymore since someone introduced the post counting feature into webforums

Oh...the old fashioned quantity-over-quality-feature.

Well, it could be worser in here. Just imagine there would be some sort of postcount related and obviously ridiculous level/rank/degree for all the trolls/spammers...
#37 - MR_B
Welcome to the internet!
Not all forums are like that, mine for instance has rules against people flaming other members. I'd rather my members repeat something 100 times and enjoy being on the forum then have no members at all (or unpassionate ones).

We are all on here because we love racing, think of it as a compliment that someone took the time to join and participate

I'm sure its difficult to see the same topics repeated but thats what happens on a forum with nearly 1 million posts.
But it could honestly be 500,000 instead if people some people did at least little searching first.
Quote from JasonJ :But it could honestly be 500,000 instead if people some people did at least little searching first.

That is so true.
Mind you though if this forum had 1/2 the amount of posts then thats half as much time people have been "discussing" live for speed.

There are only so many topics you could bring up, so what happens once they have all been answered lol

Considering the amount of views this forum has, i'm sure the owners would not say no to 500,000 posts (thats a lot of advertising, not to mention views)
Quote from NightShift :Not anymore since someone introduced the post counting feature into webforums

Another post added to my count.
I'd be more than happy with nearly 1 million posts on my forum haha
Even 500,000 would be ample.

The thing is, there is always a different way to ask the question, lots of ways actually which gives different answers.

Remember we are here to discuss things. I have heard from heaps of members being turned away from forums for the "flaming treatment".

If there is an issue the moderators will bring it up, we have a report function on every post to give the moderators an indication of "repeat posts".
The moderators can then take the needed action.

When i first started here (in Oct) I made the usual "drift or race" topic to which the moderators deleted it, it was only because I was passionate about the game that I wrote it before searching. I didn't want to annoy anyone.
Quote from Gentlefoot :Unfortunately it is typical behaviour on all web forums from my experience.

Fortunately no, it isn't.
Its not always the case, there is no reason it has to be like that either.

If you want people to stay active you have to repeat certain questions, and its fun to ask your own questions sometimes. I'd assume that nearly every possible question has been asked quite a few times in the beginner section, but it gives the new people to a forum a chance to ask these questions and introduce themselves.

I'd feel pretty left out if all I did was just search the forum for answers and never get to start any new threads.
Quote from polepositiondriver :I'd feel pretty left out if all I did was just search the forum for answers and never get to start any new threads.

You don't need to start new threads in order to not feel left out.

Just contribute to existing threads and only start threads on new topics that are worth discussing.

^^ Nice flames, aren't they?
It's a forum about a computer game, what can you expect but a bunch of geeks who have never been outside to play football or something.
Flaming is what they like, they are impatient because our human brain isn't a Intel Core Q660 overclocked to 4Ghz.

King regards,
Harjun
Quote from harjun :Flaming is what they like, they are impatient because our human brain isn't a Intel Core Q660 overclocked to 4Ghz.

Don't forget the cooling.
may i say? ballbuster community
Quote from harjun :It's a forum about a computer game, what can you expect but a bunch of geeks who have never been outside to play football or something.
Flaming is what they like, they are impatient because our human brain isn't a Intel Core Q660 overclocked to 4Ghz.

King regards,
Harjun

LOL

are you serieus? lol

What is up with you guys...?
(94 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG