Fallout 3
(325 posts, started )
Quote from danowat :It's like the difference between drinking fine wine, and wine out of a box.

You sip fine wine, you smell it, you let it's flavours develop in your mouth, you appreciate all the little parts of it, where as box wine, you just gulp it down to get pi**ed.

I think ATC Quick is a box wine type of guy

My issues is the exact opposite, I take joy in the details that make something great, and that is exactly where Fallout 3 falls short (excuse the pun).

I went to Rivet City, the first person I spoke to had questions about that doctor, and I had not overheard anyone talking about them. That's quite an important detail to me, because I knew the name of someone I had never met or heard mentioned, and that totally ruined the impression that you have control over quests and what outcome they have. I've not been to that radio station, because I went to Rivet City first I skipped having to go there, on the main story quest. You can't kill main characters, or shop owners, they just get knocked out by a missile to the skull then wake up a few seconds later, usually spawning a weapon out of their arsehole to shoot you with.

The weapons are too advanced for the time period, modern machine guns and pistols, mixed with lasers and energy weapons doesn't seem right to me in an enviroment which is a post apocalypse wasteland. My issue is not the variety of weapons, but the imagination used. It's like they made 4 weapons that suited the enviroment, then just gave up and wacked in a bunch of modern and futuristic weapons to keep the Halo 3 players happy. I didn't complain about the lack of stuff in the wastelands by the way, I just suggested it wouldn't take up much room on the dvd, so they could have changed the small details that take the game from a 8/10 to a 9/10.

I don't drink alcohol by the way, my favourite drink is Strawberry Milkshake.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :The weapons are too advanced for the time period, modern machine guns and pistols, mixed with lasers and energy weapons doesn't seem right to me in an enviroment which is a post apocalypse wasteland. My issue is not the variety of weapons, but the imagination used. It's like they made 4 weapons that suited the enviroment, then just gave up and wacked in a bunch of modern and futuristic weapons to keep the Halo 3 players happy.

Theres a lot of background info to support the laser weaponary in the game, that and the fact its set in the year 2077 doesn't make it that far fetched.

Most of the laser weaponary is found in pretty specific places too.
Quote from danowat :Theres a lot of background info to support the laser weaponary in the game, that and the fact its set in the year 2077 doesn't make it that far fetched.

Most of the laser weaponary is found in pretty specific places too.

You mean like an old supermarket 2 minutes away from where you start the game, gaurded by a bunch of Raiders holding sticks with nails in them. I found a missile launcher and minigun very early on in the game too, not to mention the constant supply of assault rifles and combat shotguns. I've been going back to locations for extra trips to pick up all the weapons, they don't seem to be in short supply. I would have thought after a few hundred years they would run short on ammo and have to rely more on those weapons that make use of everyday objects.
Are you playing it on easy? or something I am not?, because it was an age before I got a missile launcher, and miniguns are generally only found on super mutants for me.

I agree about the ammo abundance, that and the lack of ammo weight.
You just need to go into the main city, then find a group of raiders and stalk them until they come across some super mutants, they usually end up killing each other, then you can just pick up all the stuff they drop. I have made my character a bit of an evil one, very good sneak and lockpick abilities. If you go round stealing everything in sight you usually end up with loads of stuff. I'm playing it on normal difficulty.
It's a game, not an accurate history based post-apocalypse survival simulator. Stop nit-picking and enjoy the game. Sure there is laser pistols mixed with assault rifles, but there is also flying and talking robots, living dead people, giant grabs and ugly green monsters if you haven't noticed yet.
Well I agree with the UK review of IGN rather than the overhyped US review. The UK review gave it 8.8 and pointed out the poor dialog that sometimes ruins the immersion. But the US review skipped over that and gave the game 9.8.
OMG i been so stupid. I didnt realise that bottle caps was the monies. How stupid of me.
Quote from Blackout :It's a game, not an accurate history based post-apocalypse survival simulator. Stop nit-picking and enjoy the game. Sure there is laser pistols mixed with assault rifles, but there is also flying and talking robots, living dead people, giant grabs and ugly green monsters if you haven't noticed yet.

er...without using a very good crystal ball, or a reliable pack of tarot cards, how can ANYBODY show an ACCURATE "history" of something that hasn't happened yet?

If you find somebody that can, would you please ask them to tell me the results of next weeks EuroMillions lottery draw? KTHXBAI
Quote from Bladerunner :er...without using a very good crystal ball, or a reliable pack of tarot cards, how can ANYBODY show an ACCURATE "history" of something that hasn't happened yet?

Yes..that was my point.
I've finished the game and I haven't even discovered half of the locations and I've completed easily less than half of the quests. A bit disappointing how you can finish without even reaching your potential. Don't get me wrong, I love this game, but I've now had to revert back to an earlier saved game to continue the adventure and therefore feel like I've gotten my money's worth.

I achieved the goal of the game without using any big guns at all, and using energy weapons very little. If the battles weren't so entertaining and satisfying I don't think I would be able to continue on from here.

A great game, but the ultimate goal should be harder to attain, or impossible to attain so early in your character's development. I expect some cool add-ons will eventually appear that might improve the overall plot/scenario aspect of the existing game.
I am currently about 30 hours in, level 15 character, and probably half way through the "main quest", however, I am making a point to explore every facet of the gameworld, find every unique item, heck finding the Lincon repeater took me a couple of hours!!!!.

I am also attempting to do every single side and freeform quest, I reckon there is a good 60 hours left in it for me.
I don't know how many hours i've played so far... but must be quite a few already. I am on Level 15 aswell.

In the main quest, i just arrived at the brotherhood of steel with Doctor Li. No idea how far into the main quest that is... but it feels like there's still quite some stuff to do.

I try to do all the quests i can find.

Right now i've went back to Fable II however... found out that they've released the english audio track/voices/dialogue as downloadable content. I was not very happy with the german version and started the whole game from scratch with the english version now... it's bloody awesome!!

PS: Be careful if you use the new installation option for games on the xbox since the new dashboard update. If you uninstall it again, it will also delete your savegame. Read that on the official Fallout Forum. There was some guy who lost about 120 hours of gameplay.
Quote from jibber :PS: Be careful if you use the new installation option for games on the xbox since the new dashboard update. If you uninstall it again, it will also delete your savegame. Read that on the official Fallout Forum. There was some guy who lost about 120 hours of gameplay.

Thats VERY handy to know, seeing as I only currently have a 20gb HDD, I would only be able to install one game at a time.
Quote from danowat :Thats VERY handy to know, seeing as I only currently have a 20gb HDD, I would only be able to install one game at a time.

Same for me here... only 20GB, and it's full with DLC.

I didn't try it myself (thank god), but apparently, there is no warning about getting your savegame deleted when uninstalling a game. I guess MS will piss off quite a few people with this.
Quote from MAGGOT :Fallout 3 on Zero Punctuation.

Haven't played it, probably won't.. but.. well, I like ZP.

I like ZP too, but DON'T TELL ME YOU TAKE HIS REVIEWS SERIOUSLY
I mean come on... Every game he reviews get's destroyed brutally by him...

Anyway, if you are going to skip it - you're probably skipping a top5 game of the year easily...
Quote from squidhead :I like ZP too, but DON'T TELL ME YOU TAKE HIS REVIEWS SERIOUSLY
I mean come on... Every game he reviews get's destroyed brutally by him...

Anyway, if you are going to skip it - you're probably skipping a top5 game of the year easily...

I don't take anything Yahtzee says seriously, how can you with that accent? :P

Fallout3 just doesn't seem like my kind of game, really.
I've just started playing. Lucky this isn't the Elder Scrolls or I'd feel I was betraying myself by going back on my solemn word of having nothing to do with those games again.

I've just done the dodge the mines mission to the playground in Minefield. I couldn't work out how to deactivate a mine though and bring it back with me. Sounds like that guy with the sniper rifle is important too but all he wants to do is kill me?

Anyway, what a beautifully crafted world! The start of the game, in the bunker- I thought that was a bit rough, once you emerge on the surface though the attention to detail really kicks in. I stumbled accidently across Megaton at night (I hadn't realised I had a compass), and was amazed by what I'd found.
I sneak up to the mines and just before they go off you get an option to press "a" to disarm.

The sniper guy isn't that important, he does feature in a small side mission later on, but it's no bother if you kill him.
Quote from danowat :I sneak up to the mines and just before they go off you get an option to press "a" to disarm.

The sniper guy isn't that important, he does feature in a small side mission later on, but it's no bother if you kill him.

That guy was shooting at me the moment I turned up, so he got a face full of missile. Zero Punctuation is hilarious, and that review was one of his nicer ones, he was right too, but I only think that because I like his accent.
Quote from MAGGOT :I don't take anything Yahtzee says seriously, how can you with that accent? :P

"with that accent", to be honest his accent sounds normal English to me but looking at his profile says Brisbane, Australia so a bit confusing... Either way why can't you take it seriously? Sounds normal to me
He's an ex-pat Brit living in Aus I think
Quote from lil chris :"with that accent", to be honest his accent sounds normal English to me but looking at his profile says Brisbane, Australia so a bit confusing... Either way why can't you take it seriously? Sounds normal to me

As said, Yahtzee is originally from England.

As for my comment about the accent - it's more the speed of the vocals. I just can't take a fast-talker seriously. Of course, even if he talked slow I couldn't take him seriously because he's not taking it seriously (obviously).
Just because it's not a serious review doesn't mean it's wrong. I think he was spot on, not just on Fallout 3 but on all his other reviews.

Fallout 3
(325 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG