The online racing simulator
Windows 7
(39 posts, started )
Windows 7
I knew that I had read somewhere that there was a new Windows coming. So I searched for it a bit this morning, and it seems it'll be called Windows 7.

This is what they had to say about the naming:

Quote :The decision to use the name Windows 7 is about simplicity. Simply put, this is the seventh release of Windows, so therefore Windows 7 just makes sense.

Whereas Vista should have been 6? Well, it seems not. In the original plan of Microsoft, there was no Vista, it went directly from XP to 7 (codenamed Blackcomb, from Whistler-Blackcomb ski station in British Columbia - it seems Microsoft developers have a lot of spare time, incidentally XP was codenamed Whistler). However, at some point they decided to develop an interim to 7, Vista, which eventually became a full windows in itself. This is what I didn't know, that Vista was basically a Windows 5.5 at some point, from which they decided to make a full release (which doesn't sound like a good idea).

We all know what happened, Vista got out, and it has a very hard time dethroning its predecesor, XP. Which is where Windows 7 comes in for a mid-2009 release. They have also indicated that 7 will be an improved version of Vista. The question one might ask is, why the eff bother releasing Vista, this flawed and hated thing, in the first place?

Anyway, they say everything we hate about Vista will be fixed in 7. The annoying digital rights management, the annoying incompatibility problems and hopefully the most annoying injustified hardware requirements.

I just can't wait for 7.
#2 - bbman
Quote from boosterfire :I knew that I had read somewhere that there was a new Windows coming. So I searched for it a bit this morning, and it seems it'll be called Windows 7.

This is what they had to say about the naming:

Whereas Vista should have been 6? Well, it seems not. In the original plan of Microsoft, there was no Vista, it went directly from XP to 7 (codenamed Blackcomb, from Whistler-Blackcomb ski station in British Columbia - it seems Microsoft developers have a lot of spare time, incidentally XP was codenamed Whistler). However, at some point they decided to develop an interim to 7, Vista, which eventually became a full windows in itself. This is what I didn't know, that Vista was basically a Windows 5.5 at some point, from which they decided to make a full release (which doesn't sound like a good idea).

We all know what happened, Vista got out, and it has a very hard time dethroning its predecesor, XP. Which is where Windows 7 comes in for a mid-2009 release. They have also indicated that 7 will be an improved version of Vista. The question one might ask is, why the eff bother releasing Vista, this flawed and hated thing, in the first place?

Anyway, they say everything we hate about Vista will be fixed in 7. The annoying digital rights management, the annoying incompatibility problems and hopefully the most annoying injustified hardware requirements.

I just can't wait for 7.

Hear (and see from the conference videos) from the devs themselves: http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/default.aspx

It could be a marketing ploy, but from the thought put into 7 it seems to me that they really focused on how we as users experience Windows, which is a good thing... I have to say I'm fairly excited about the new OS, which for me is a first...
I tryed it not long ago and loved it, gaming performance it very nice even when using ATI 8.9 for vista x64, Will be buying it as soon it is released.
#4 - Migz
The reason they released vista is the exact same reason why the released windows millenium edition.
Although i dont know the reason it was probably to be able to get the little bugs out of the way and see how stuff works in the commercial place thingy.
#5 - sam93
People who have just paid out for a version of windows vista are going to be pleased then. Well saying that, wont they make an upgrade disc for vista?
Do the upgrade discs format your hard drive and then install windows? Or do they just replace the previous OS files?
More to the point, why upgrade from XP in the first place? It has to be the best operating system for the average user, and requires far less system resources than Vista.

I'm going to be on XP for as long as is technically possible.
Quote from boosterfire :and hopefully the most annoying injustified hardware requirements.

well it runs quite well on an atom netbook... that said i dont really see anything worth upgrading for
Quote from S14 DRIFT :More to the point, why upgrade from XP in the first place?

Some times you're forced to...My desktop pc runs with Xp, but my Vaio laptop came with vista, and there are no drivers out compatible with Xp! Yep I was pretty pissed when I found that out!
Mhhm, I found much the same. I tried Vista Beta RC2 (was a testing dude) and when I found my G25 no longer worked, and neither did my wireless drivers, I flipped.
#10 - Jakg
Perhaps you should actually try the retail version before flaming Vista, especially when it was a 3rd party driver issue?

Vista > XP IMO. Wish I could run Vista on my Eee
Maybe Jack, wanna give me another 2gigs of ram so my system maintains simular speeds?

But yeah, I understand that new OS's take maybe a year or so to switch over, with driver support and the like, but maybe they should get them ready BEFORE they release the OS, rather than selling a product many people cannot use as they wish for anything up to a few months.
From my understanding of Vista/W7:

Vista was never going to be released but due to business contracts which were due to run this year and Windows 7 not due to be finished for a long time (longer than MS would have liked) they rushed out Vista to meet their contractual obligations in the mean time.

It would have made more sense if MS just extended the XP contract, but then that means MS can recruit the consumer to beta test Vista which contains most of the features of W7, it was just a few background things which weren't finished in time (network features, file system, stuff like that).

Knowing W7 was due ~2009/2010 was one of the reasons I didn't bother updating to Vista.
So, does anyone have any features of W7, like what it brings over XP/Vista? I quite like XP because it's functional without being "omg vista skinzzzzzzz", and doesn't slow down my PC, and all the driver support is there.

Tbh, what W7 needs to be is a very big SP for XP.
Quote from Jakg :Vista > XP IMO. Wish I could run Vista on my Eee

in that case its officially rubbish as seven runs just fine on my eee (except the network drivers but i havent even bothered to try and fix them yet)
Quote from S14 DRIFT :So, does anyone have any features of W7, like what it brings over XP/Vista? I quite like XP because it's functional without being "omg vista skinzzzzzzz", and doesn't slow down my PC, and all the driver support is there.

Tbh, what W7 needs to be is a very big SP for XP.

Consensus is that Windows 7 is everything that Vista was supposed to be with a cherry on top... Just read the blog, it'll answer many questions you might have...
should i get it? i has vista home premuim regular
#17 - Jakg
Quote :

Quote from Shotglass :in that case its officially rubbish as seven runs just fine on my eee (except the network drivers but i havent even bothered to try and fix them yet)

I haven't tried but I assumed that anything more than XP would kill the poor thing - it's the 701 (Celeron ) with 2GB of RAM...
Quote from S14 DRIFT :
But yeah, I understand that new OS's take maybe a year or so to switch over, with driver support and the like, but maybe they should get them ready BEFORE they release the OS, rather than selling a product many people cannot use as they wish for anything up to a few months.

They gave Vista to hardware manufacturers long in advance and they (specificalyl creative etc) didn't do anything for aaaaages.
ah the celeron might be an issue... but it runs just fine on a 1 gig atom
All I'm hoping for that it is going to be like XP, but with DX10 support / support for new games.

I'm just glad that it seems that there is never going to be a day that I have to install Vista on my PC, I have tried it out in few PCs and it just feels rubbish all the way.
Lets just hope the 7 will be proper OS.
should i get it??? beacause this might be the first usefull decisin i make after buying vista... its nice but not the greatness of xp...
Quote from Jakg :
They gave Vista to hardware manufacturers long in advance and they (specificalyl creative etc) didn't do anything for aaaaages.

Damn those companies!
Where can I download Windows 7?
#24 - Jakg
Quote from hrtburnout :Where can I download Windows 7?

You can't (legally) without an invite from M$ (which very few people have).
It's widely available on various torrent and warez sites. No point getting it other than for shits nd giggles yet though, it's only a Beta. It still has some bugs that could cause damage if you use it as a main OS. Plus you wouldn't be able to report them, as you're not an actual Beta tester...

Really, it looks like it's exactly the same as Vista, looks-wise. If it comes with fixes for all of Vista's cock-ups, I'm sold. I have a stack of PCI cards and USB gadgets that I can't use because they aren't Vista driver-compatible. I can't complain about Vista's resource usage though, hasn't bothered me unduly since I started using it. In fact, drivers are pretty much my only Vista problem, and that's mainly because it's the 64-bit version

Windows 7
(39 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG