The online racing simulator
#1 - Silox
People with multiple accounts who ban everyone...
Hello,

I'm Silox and member from the FPRS team. We have currently 2 succesful demo servers running.

But the last days someone connected with 5 approximattely the same usernames (eg Hibby1, Hibby2, ...).
He banned and kept on banning everyone in the server, so it became empty, they also ended the race, ...

Does someone know a way to prevent this kind of server blocking? Or does someone has experienced the same problem?

When we put the vote of, there are crashers who keep on crashing, so this isn't a solution either.

Thanks in regards,
Silox aka Tom Naessens.
Did he ban them with or without the vote? 1 user cannot ban on their own (unless I've mis-understood), otherwise it would likely be a group of freinds.

I suggest turning off the voteban and manning your servers more, that's what I'd suggest.
Try banning hibby, hibby2, etc. that May help
Sounds like mischievous sabotage to me. Seems to be an ideal person to be tarred and feathered. Provided the mods take offence of course.
Quote from peejayh :Sounds like mischievous sabotage to me. Seems to be an ideal person to be tarred and feathered. Provided the mods take offence of course.

I'm afraid the mods have no control over what happens in-game. The only people who can do anything about that are the developers
#6 - Silox
S14: Yes, the banned with the ban vote. They don't have the PW. Manning our servers more is almost inpossible. We are only with 6 - 7 guys, and only the people that really can be trusted have the admin PW. Some people are elder (+ 35) and have a job, some like me study.

MijnWraak: Doesn't help; I'll explain underneath.

All: How can you only allow kick voting? I only can find the /allowvote or /vote yes / no in the cfg file...

It's indeed a kind of evil sabotage, and we really don't like this.

As I said; Disabling the ban only isn't a good way either to solve this problem. The clan (yes it's a group of racers, I saw them racing once all together and crash everyone) can kick and keep on kicking people...

What a leader of our team saw a couple of days ago:
One of them joined our server, after 5 minutes they were with +- 4. They tried to ban someone, but did not succeed. So, they crashed, shouted, ... until some people leaved. Appearently, there were not enough votes to kick / ban them either.
Then they voted to end the race, and banned everybody, even the leader who was logged in with a fake nickname, without admin password.

After this server was empty, they dc'ed and moved on to our other server.

Banning them (I'll explain why underneath) has no result, they can make new accounts.

Let me sketch the problem again:
We have 2 servers who are always full. A team of 4 - 5 members just creates fake accounts and sabotages our server. If we have the votes on; they kick / ban everyone. If we put them off; they'll crash and shout.
I can't believe why people do this, and only on our servers, or also on others? Is it because we have a ranking system? I don't know...

Is there really, really no way to prevent this? I thought abount IP (or even if possible, but I don't know if it is: Mac-Adress) banning..

Thanks in regards,
Silox aka Tom Naessens.

P.S.: Thanks for the replies
Well, you'd have to MAC address ban them, as these days IPs are nearly always dynamic, but not sure how to do that, if it's even possible. Maybe in your servers config somewhere.

To be honest, it's probbably best you maybe rename your server, and turn voteban off on a temporary basis, until you can either find other people to man your servers, such as a select few trusted and regular users (after all, if they ban alot of random people, simply change the password and clear the logs, not hard).

Either way, these people will probbably get bored and eventually go away.
Is this your server?

@s14

The dinamic ip is not longer working when someon ban you in lfs
Now the system works like before patch Y with s1 s2 user , Ban the "Lisence Name", Now sinse patch z , the system works all the same for all , cuz demo user , need a "Lisence Name" to go online

But in fact there are more that 1 acc around demoders , so , if you ban someon , maybe the demoder make another acc or log with anoter acc and do the same...

@silox , maybe you need spent some time in your server , and control all that, plus if you have a insim appl running , make a Ban Editor...
Attached images
Clipboard02.jpg
#9 - Silox
We just had another assault from them...

This time the usernames were: thelongestusernaminlfs1, thelongestusernaminlfs2, thelongestusernaminlfs3, thelongestusernaminlfs4, ...

When I search them in LFSW they pop up with the regdate of today...

Solution I can come up with: Only allow 1 LFS application on 1 computer...

@Inouva; Yes it is. A ban editor makes no sense, they join with different usernames again...
Like I said, unless you can ban their MAC address, you won't be able to stop them.
#11 - pipa
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Like I said, unless you can ban their MAC address, you won't be able to stop them.

Even if you manage that, they can change their mac adress in a second.
No they can't... MAC address is specific to your router/modem or whatever (definatly at least for your router). To change it, you'd need a new routher or more brains than these guys have. If they were that clever they wouldn't be wasting their time on forums spam banning people.
Err... You can't ban anyone by their mac address
Sounds just like an old (in)famous demo team.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :No they can't... MAC address is specific to your router/modem or whatever (definatly at least for your router). To change it, you'd need a new routher

Oh wow.

:sadbanana
You can indeed clone your MAC adress... But it's harder then /iprelease /iprenew...

You won guys, we stopped our server and began an S2 server... We are sorry for the hundreds of people that raced daily on our demo servers, but if people can't respect it, we have to stop it.
#18 - pipa
Quote from S14 DRIFT :No they can't... MAC address is specific to your router/modem or whatever (definatly at least for your router). To change it, you'd need a new routher or more brains than these guys have. If they were that clever they wouldn't be wasting their time on forums spam banning people.

That is mostly a security system for wlans, which is turned off when you purchase a router. And if you are able to set it up, it wont be hard to change it again.
That an isp registers your mac adress to your ip is not common here.

Quote from Silox :You can indeed clone your MAC adress... But it's harder then /iprelease /iprenew...

Its easier than you think. Its taking less time than to renew my ip adress.
oh ive seen this before also would he or would he not be waisting loads of money on buying loads of accounts?
Quote from dan12s :oh ive seen this before also would he or would he not be waisting loads of money on buying loads of accounts?

It was a demo server until this morning, we changed it now (with the result the server is empty)...

UPDATE:
Back in demoland, ready to ban those bastards!
How can you only allow kickvote?
If you are up to beat these jerks, the only thing I can think of is to monitor IP adresses of all computers connected to your server and ban IP accordingly. Few guys sait that IP's are mostly dynamic which I can't agree with. Unless you try to ban by IP few of those pirates, you'll never find out if it works or not. Get your servers some decent firewall (COMODO Personal Firewall works great for me) and begin to fight If I were you, I'd do whatever it takes in an attepmt to find a solution how to get rid of such idiots... Good luck...
Quote from MadCatX :If you are up to beat these jerks, the only thing I can think of is to monitor IP adresses of all computers connected to your server and ban IP accordingly. Few guys sait that IP's are mostly dynamic which I can't agree with. Unless you try to ban by IP few of those pirates, you'll never find out if it works or not. Get your servers some decent firewall (COMODO Personal Firewall works great for me) and begin to fight If I were you, I'd do whatever it takes in an attepmt to find a solution how to get rid of such idiots... Good luck...

I would like to do this, but our servers are hosted by 500servers.com. LFS hasn't an option either to ban IP-adresses, so it won't help either.

We gave the apass to an trustable and friendly team, who will help monitoring our servers.
AFAIK, it is possible to disable both vote-ban and vote-kick, isn't it? This way, only the admins have the power to ban/kick. That might be inconvenient on a demo server, but I guess it's the only way to stop the problem.
If you contact Victor he would probably know what to do
I think he is able to ban them via IP no?
Quote from Sir moi 407 :If you contact Victor he would probably know what to do
I think he is able to ban them via IP no?

We already discussed this... I'll try to contact 500servers (our server hoster) to let a kind of IP scanner run who scans every 5 minutes for multiple IP's...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG