The online racing simulator
help buying a new card
(97 posts, started )
dadge, for heavens sake, stop saying bitrate! this is NOT bitrate! bitrate is something else. you are talking about bus width!
Quote from dadge :Generic abuse...

Calm down mate. I would put a rather large bet on me actually knowing more then you about this subject, hell I only studied it for a few years in higher education. You've build some PCs, great, haven't we all. I've been using PCs for more years than I care to remember, why would that change anything?

When did I mention anything about right and wrong? I said you don't know what you're talking about when saying the manufacturers 'limited' their cards to 128bit. Which is true.

Oh just read your 'opinion expressed as fact' information about ATI vs Nvidia. LMFAO.
  • 9xxx > 5xxx
  • 6xxx > x8xx
  • 7xxx and x19xx both had their strengths
  • 8xxx > 29xx
  • 9xxx was a pointless rebrand
  • GTX and 48xx again both have strengths.
So well done on Nvidia always being better than ATI, you really know your stuff
i was not in a mood that required me calming down. so why ask me to unless you're actually feeling a bit emotional (lol)
Quote from pb32000 : I would put a rather large bet on me actually knowing more then you about this subject, hell I only studied it for a few years in higher education.

snap. and that's why i build computers, because i too have studied them. i don't feel the need to blurt out my education. but sack this. this thread is done me finx. (was done a dozen or so post ago) <insert whitty retort here>
You build them because you study them? What did you study - how to bang a few pits of PCB together? Nice. I did feel the need to blurt out my education, because it actually means something. Something other than allowing me to 'build PCs', what a joke.
indeed your assumptions are a joke. ok now i'll try.
it's cute you think you know me enough to assume what i don't know. but seriously dude, i don't play for that team. (how did i do?)
i have done my A+ hardware and software for example. building computers is only one aspect that you have abviously failed to realise. but hey some people are just too ignorant to even try.
and now we have a thread that is so off topic, it should be moved.
So wait, my assumption was correct - you build them because you study them. I don't see your point.

Just had a quick go at an A+ to see what it's all about. I was talking about a degree level understanding of GPU architecture, not a quiz about laser printers with the odd question on BIOSes thrown in.
sorry it took so long for the responce, i was studying to become a chef (cooking my dinner)
i don't know what i'm talking about because i studied it? i'm sorry babe, i'm not quite getting this one.
it's obvious you have not grasped it yet and i don't think I'll spell it out to you as you do seem like the kind of person who does need a team of tutors to help you in order for you to understand. the A+ again was only an example. and you had a quick look at the A+ and made yet another assumption that it's a quiz about printers and the bios. GO YOU!!!

yes, i build computers because i studied them. just like mechanic studies to fix cars and builder studies to become a bricky. (i didn't choose doctors or any other "major" accademic because i am trying to keep it at a level you'll understand)
it's what people do. surely you learned that when you were at uni. but you don't get the point so I'll smell you later.
Honestly, I think your inability to grasp basic English is the reason you didn't take up an academic course.
oh dear. not that one too. first you said i didn't know what i was talking about (classic forum post) then you questioned my knowledge (another classic forum responce). and now you question my understanding of english (you've guessed it, another classic forum responce). what's next? i'm a drifter or i drive on cruise servers? no, i've got it. i'm a lewis hamilton fanboy.
running out of things to say?
well, even after passing your A+ you still call "bus width" as "bitrate". Can you tell the difference?
i've once called it a flux capacitor too but don't tell anyone
come on now. don't you think you're clutching at straws if that's all you can think of?

how's about i tell you that i'm left handed so you can think of something a little more thought envoking than "he can't tell the difference between bus width and bitrate"..............i'm sorry, i can't believe that this thread has come down pb32000 using all the classic forum responces to a thread to try to prove a point and you thinking this whole discussion is hanging in the balance because i said bitrate instead of bus width? are you serious?
i stand by my previous statement. you are a tool.
if this thread goes on shall i expect one/both of you to tell me that you've met my type b4 and blah blah blah usual forum bs?
well... yeah. if you want to appear knowledgeable and be understood, you need to use the proper words for things. otherwise, all goes to hell. what you are writing is not read only by me. i know the difference between these two and i don't care if you call it whatever you want to call it. but, as i said, what you write is not read only by me, it is read also by the OP who is not as knowledgeable and wants some advice. Do you now understand the importance of calling things by their proper name?
i got my post mixed while searching for things.... read quote below
Quote from dadge :ok, i have just popped on to see what pinky and the brain have been up to. now i'm running slightly late for work so i will keep it short.
george, what makes you think i was talking about bus width and not bit rate? after all, both are relevent to this thread but yet you insist i have gotten my words mixed up. on what post did i mention bus width?
Do you understand the importance of reading things correctly and understanding them before you comment on it?

bit rate: The number of bits transmitted per unit of time. (the one i was talking about). i even googled it just to make sure i was correct. here's what google says "measurement unit that quantifies the flow of bits per second."
bus width:The number of bits which are carried simultaneously by a bus. 16 for the ISA bus and 32 or 64 for the PCI bus.(the one you insist i am talking about)
and incase you still have not got it.
I was actually talking about bitrates.

No, you weren't. You were quoting a bus width (that is, a number of bits with no time unit). In terms of graphics card and memory bit rate is not a valid phrase for anything. You're looking for "bandwidth". But again, in this case you were referring to a bus width (ie 256, 512 bit). Now, can we all just STFU about this topic and help the OP?

EDIT: I see you've realised you were wrong and edited your post. Nice
Quote from dadge :... i mentioned bit rate once ... nobody except george felt that they didn't understand me...

what?

here we go again... with emphasis...

Quote from george_tsiros :well... yeah. if you want to appear knowledgeable and be understood, you need to use the proper words for things. otherwise, all goes to hell. what you are writing is not read only by me. i know the difference between these two and i don't care if you call it whatever you want to call it. but, as i said, what you write is not read only by me, it is read also by the OP who is not as knowledgeable and wants some advice. Do you now understand the importance of calling things by their proper name?

and an explanation.

when i laughed and said 'i rest my case' it was because you were naming things wrong. You didn't even know what it was called. it is obvious, to anyone who knows the proper names for these things, that i understood very well what you were referring to (when saying 'bit rate'). Since you did not understand why i was laughing, you thought i was implying that " 'bitrate' is not important". Completely wrong.
please tell me the rate at which the bits are transfered through the bus? my previous post is a good example why you should make sure you're awake before you post.
look at a spec list for any graphics card and tell me where you would see the phrase "bit rate" but how many times did i say 256bit? so forget what you know about graphics cards and put yourself in the OP's shoes. when you then look at the spec list (which i recomended) you then see the bus width and beside that it would say 128 (or) 256 (or) xxx bit. that's what i was talking about and you misunderstood me.
i still stand by what i said. the bit "rate" of the bus width is one of the things to look at when buying a graphics card. surely i couldn't of fluked my graphics cards purchases for nearly 10 years?
Quote from dadge :please tell me the rate at which the bits are transfered through the bus?

jesus

it is NOT 'bitrate'! noone but stubborn ignorants call it that way because instead of admitting their ignorance and adopting the correct terminology try to edge every bit of logic they have left to make their choice of words seem 'logical'. it is not a rate of bits! rate of bits is a notion that is valid only in a discussion where compression (usually) is concerned where you actually have a stream of individual bits. in a graphics card there are entire words dwords etc that are read at once. it is NOT a bit rate because the 128bit that you see does NOT talk about individual bits (like you have in an mp3) NOR does it talk about a RATE (which you have in an mp3. 32Kbps. 32Kilobits are transferred every second, exactly). it talks about the WIDTH of a DATA BUS. there are 128bits that are available to be read at every request. bitrate implies constant flow. buswidth does not have anything to do with 'rate'. it does not imply even a clock to exist. you are not forced to read it at every clock.

if you want to speak of these you gotta learn the language.
Quote from dadge :my previous post is a good example why you should make sure you're awake before you post.

what? is that supposed to make me feel insulted? you called me a cock slammer earlier, what is this one going to do?

Quote from dadge :look at a spec list for any graphics card and tell me where you would see the phrase "bit rate" but how many times did i say 256bit?

what does it have to do with anything in the discussion that you don't call things by their proper name?

Quote from dadge : so forget what you know about graphics cards and put yourself in the OP's shoes. when you then look at the spec list (which i recomended) you then see the bus width and beside that it would say 128 (or) 256 (or) xxx bit. that's what i was talking about and you misunderstood me.

and how do you help the OP by naming that number as 'bitrate' ?

Quote from dadge : i still stand by what i said. the bit "rate" of the bus width is one of the things to look at when buying a graphics card. surely i couldn't of fluked my graphics cards purchases for nearly 10 years?

bit rate of bus width?

what the **** can that possibly mean?
lol, you're cute when you're angry.
Quote from george_tsiros :

what? is that supposed to make me feel insulted? you called me a cock slammer earlier, what is this one going to do?

and yet you're so blinded by your own ignorance that you failed to see that i was not talking to or about you when i posted that. it's always about you isn't it toots. just proves that people only read what they want to.
imagine i said nizi instead of terrorist. now that really would of messed your day up.
i said one word (rate) when you think i shouldn't of and you (seem) to of flipped your lid. (punch any keyboards lately?) i tried to put the bus width into a phrase that the poster could relate to but because i didn't recomend that he diverts power from life support or tried to re-allign the dilithium crystals, you think that i am mis-informing him.
you said "what does it have to do with anything in the discussion that you don't call things by their proper name?" it's obvious you won't read any of this correctly but i'll give it a go. the OP said himself that he is not an "expert". so, as people do. they try to explain things in a way that the OP will understand. but then we get the people who spent so much time studying one thing that they have completely forgot how to do well at other things (reading for example). they then skim over posts and make their own assumptions based on what they skimmed over.
Quote from george_tsiros :
bit rate of bus width?
what the **** can that possibly mean?

although slightly free styled, i thought it was very simply put. but again some people choose to read and others choose not.

i still think it could work you know. me and you
enough flirting for me. time to go back to work.
Wow, it's amazing how much i learned about GPU's just by reading those 2 pages. I'm sorry about my conclusion that more is better. It seems as if i was totally off.

But, what would be the very best card in my price range (150-200euro's)
Without counting the other stuff i will need. Just the card!
I'm asking this because, after those last pages, i'm getting second thoughts about the 9800GT(X)..
The GeForce 9800GTX+ (note the +) and the ATI Radeon 4850 are about the same, get either one and you won't be disappointed.
the irony is i already knew what both were[and never asked about them(and even said i was going to wait on the card)], but i do appreciate you going into detail george, that was actually very helpfull just thought i should say that, but either way thanks for all the help and supplying the entertainment!

help buying a new card
(97 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG