The online racing simulator
Startup costs for racing.
(38 posts, started )
#26 - J.B.
Quote from ajp71 :The US has a big club racing scene, lots of superb club circuits and plenty of different club level single seaters though. Given that the front running cars in F4 are built new for the American market there must be somewhere to race them. A very quick search reveals that SCCA have a series which FF2000 cars are eligible for.

Certainly does look like there is a reasonable amount of club activity but I still doubt it's comparable to the UK.

Quote from Logicalx :LoL so basically Overal Tracks....

basic start out cost for shall we say BTCC (Touring Cars) is at least £200,000 (and thats in the low class)
thats before running costs, team, sponsership and all the other lil bits n bobs main thing i think you really need is to get "Spotted" by a Sponsership you get spotted at some of these events then you have very very good luck on ur side but alot of things come in to play trying to get into these types of things and the 1st thing is money...

Nobody gets spotted. This isn't hollywood.
Another post from you on spelling and grammar.

Taken from here

Quote from ajp71 :Your still being selfish and giving the money for...

Quote from ajp71 :it proves your too young and immature ...

Taken from here

Quote from ajp71 :Your prepared to go karting with...

Quote from ajp71 : your a 150 times more likely to dye in the bath than in a plane crash

I won't go on, and those were found without even reading every single one of your posts, just by 'finding' "your" on each of your 'view all posts' page. I'm sure there are more, but I think I've made my point by now.

Quote from ajp71 :
Start here and radically increase the chance of you getting 'highered' (into a job of some description).

I find that very hypocritical. Maybe you should take your own advice and read it.
S14, you're becoming even more annoying on this forum than I ever was. Shut up!
#29 - Jakg
Yes, he got basic things wrong - but i'd rather "your" instead of "you're" than "highered" instead of "hired".

One of which you can get a job with. The other you cannot.
Either way, is it really necessary to actually ignore what he said (which if you actually say it, instead of 'read' it, makes perfect sense), he could only be bothered to critisize his spelling and grammar, which is what he does alot of. No-one's perfect, but then not everyone picks on other peoples.

When his is far from perfect (as I've pointed out), he should work on his before giving judgement on others.

Yet again, Tristain, I'm sorry you feel this way. I would like to offer you £10 free M&S vouchers.

Failing that, ignore list is there for a reason. No-one has to read what I say, let alone respond. So either put up with meh or add me to your ignore list, after all. That's what it's for.
Quote from J.B. :Sorry, should have said UK or GB.

In Germany there is exactly one SS club racing series. It has 3 races in Germany and you have to be happy with the safety standards from the '60s and 70's (historic Formula Vee).

Ireland is a different country to the UK
#32 - Jakg
OT - I'm doing my personal statements, and am looking through example ones from ones previously submitted - noticed the odd few grammar errors, but noticed real corkers including "I have done Maths, Geography and Information Computer Training for my AS Levels"...
Quote from ajp71 :The US has a big club racing scene, lots of superb club circuits and plenty of different club level single seaters though.

yes but the uk or just england where most club racing happens is about the size of a small suburb in the us... the travelling costs in the us alone will probably fund an entire year of club racing in england
Quote from Logicalx :LoL so basically Overal Tracks....

No North America probably has more club circuits (excluding rovals) than the rest of the world put together. Quite a few of them are fantastic tracks, but largely unacknowledged in the racing community.

Quote :
basic start out cost for shall we say BTCC (Touring Cars) is at least £200,000 (and thats in the low class)

I don't think the cost of a made for television banger series has anything to do with the cost of running a club single seater the other side of the pond. With some crafty engineering, careful reading of the rules and most importantly choosing the best starting car you could be front running in BTCC for under £200,000 with a professionally run car, and that would include taking on the works teams (who aren't really showing any interest in it atm and would probably just pull out if any real opposition came along).

In order to do well you would need a properly built car with an extensive well designed cage, lots of bodyshell preparation there's virtually no limit to how far you can lighten a standard steel shell/panels whilst leaving it looking visually standard construction (which is usually as far as they get checked). A fully prepared bodyshell and rollcage should cost around £30,000 assuming you'll be able to brag a shell from somewhere (and ideally if you can get a competition shell you'll knock a load of time off removing little bits and pieces that aren't needed and won't have to deal with the protective coating that modern car shells have which makes welding them tricky). Add £20,000 for engine and gearbox, they're quite highly strung in BTCC but it shouldn't be anything that radical, another £5000 for an exhaust manifold, based on the assumption that if you choose a quirky car nobody is going to be producing racing manifolds for it so it will need to be hand made. Add another £2000 for a new airbox, assuming again it is custom made will require a bit of work sorting out but can be made out of fibreglass for a fraction of the cost with a negligible weight disadvantage over carbon fibre. Then add £10000 for suspension, and drivetrain. If you choose a good donor car the prop-shaft and drive-shafts should be fine for competition use, you will probably be able to simply re-pack the standard LSD without issue. Suspension will be pretty simple replacement of standard arrangement with tubular rose jointed bits that can be made pretty easily, given the rules you probably won't even have to (or be able to) think about changing the geometery radically. Add in another £10000 for other bits and pieces, mandatory safety equipment, something to sit on, perspex windows (they are pricey), new front brakes and master cylinders (rears should be fine if a decent donor is chosen), fabricate a new pedal box, twin plate clutch. No need for endurance racing components (dry break fuel system, air jacks etc.), which cost a fortune. Then stick some bodywork on it, if you don't have an urge to stick spoilers and big sills on it, then lightened standard bumpers will be almost as light as carbon fibre parts, the undertray can be made of plywood, which is far cheaper and more practical than carbon fibre anyway. The wheel arches will probably need modifying so say £3000 worth of labour including stripping panels. So for £80,000 you could have a car capable of running competitively, keep it out of the wall and you would have change left over even with lots of tyres, expensive fuel, transport costs, and engine rebuilds.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :Another post from you on spelling and grammar.

Apologies if I've made the odd grammatical error, not great I know, but I don't think it is quite as bad as aiming for a word and missing it completely, text speak, random capital letters and posting complete drivel anyway. Thanks for your input anyway, why don't you run and find something better to do with your time than searching through my posts

Quote from Shotglass :yes but the uk or just england where most club racing happens is about the size of a small suburb in the us... the travelling costs in the us alone will probably fund an entire year of club racing in england

They'll probably still be lower with US petrol prices
Quote from ajp71 :They'll probably still be lower with US petrol prices

ah but would you be able to drive everywhere with the silly distances and speed limits? if you race on a sunday at around noon youll have a hard time showing up at work on time on monday if the race is on the other side of the country
You're off your rocker ajp, you haven't the foggiest do you?
Quote from boothy :You're off your rocker ajp, you haven't the foggiest do you?

About the work needed to produce a competitive car? In fairness I think I do having worked with both current spec touring cars and endurance cars, from Group N to much more serious. I don't think that it is in any way unrealistic to get a competitive touring car for under £80,000 (factory customer cars don't go for a lot more new), assuming you're prepared to think outside of the box and turn up with a tidy car but without all the bells and whistles, factory standard aerodynamics will be fine on what is effectively little faster than a Group N car, if anything you'll be trying to focus on reducing drag, not on adding downforce. So long as you can find something rear wheel drive then there are plenty of relatively inexpensive sequential transmission options on the market and the drivetrain in anything well built should be able to go racing without issue. What do you think is so wrong in what I've said?

Startup costs for racing.
(38 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG