The online racing simulator
Welsh Road Sign
(26 posts, started )
Welsh Road Sign

Seen this on the news last night.

The sign shown above is in Wales, but obviously the person making the sign only knew how to speak / read English, so they sent the text away by email for the test to be translated into Welsh.

Unfortunately the email reply was in Welsh so they just stuck that onto the sign.... However text they put on the signs translates back into English as

"I am not in the office at the moment. Please send any work to be translated"

BBC Link
#2 - lerts
haha you kind can of make the meaning out not knowing welsh
Quote from lerts :haha you kind can of make the meaning out not knowing welsh

your a genious if you can do that.
#4 - lerts
well maybe its because i studied all english though i just would be able to get im not at the office at the moment and knowing it in advance

the only indescifrable language is vasque which may even come from atlantean or was it etrusque

edit:

i would be completely unable to translate it but id see it as a suspicious mistranslation, specially the 2nd sentence being too long but the almost universal no, nyd is misleading
I believe a thread featuring this was made already :o
lol thanks
Quote from lerts :well maybe its because i studied all english though i just would be able to get im not at the office at the moment and knowing it in advance

the only indescifrable language is vasque which may even come from atlantean or was it etrusque

edit:

i would be completely unable to translate it but id see it as a suspicious mistranslation, specially the 2nd sentence being too long but the almost universal no, nyd is misleading

i dont know what you're on about
He's talking about language, obviously :o
Quote from harjun :your a genious if you can do that.

'You're' and 'genius'

Private education at its best.

As said, already been posted, but amazingly funny.
I'm an asshat.

I don't boast about private education though.
Yeh Niall, you can't tell the difference between you're and your anyway. "Your being a ******" as you said to me on MSN last night.

OLOLOLOLOLOLOL

</troll>
It was like 3am and I was at work. Like I said last night, Sue me.

Get on CTRA!
Quote from lerts :haha you kind can of make the meaning out not knowing welsh

Are the pills wearing off already?
i said i studied old english i dont see why you have to insult me and swidfa sounds very much like office and welsch is an indoerupean language
#17 - MR_B
Started off as a good thread, it's now turning into shite like the rest.
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :

Seen this on the news last night.

The sign shown above is in Wales, but obviously the person making the sign only knew how to speak / read English, so they sent the text away by email for the test to be translated into Welsh.

Unfortunately the email reply was in Welsh so they just stuck that onto the sign.... However text they put on the signs translates back into English as

"I am not in the office at the moment. Please send any work to be translated"

BBC Link

getting back on topic, our local paper (daily post) had one in last week, at tempory road works that were beign done by a company from the midlands, where the welsh read stop when the green light shows
Quote from lerts :swidfa sounds very much like office

I'd like to know how drunk any normal person has to get before 'swidfa' begins to sound like 'office'
say swidfaswidfaswidfaswidfaswidfa

in english you say tuna we spanish say atun

like tunatunatunatunatun

repetition evolves words
Quote from lerts :
in english you say tuna we spanish say atun

clicky
Well I'll be ****ed... something you posted actually made sense to me
Quote from lerts :say swidfaswidfaswidfaswidfaswidfa

repetition evolves words

not in that case...office and swidfa have syllables which sound totally different
W can easily turn into O and s being silent gets lost

and d into c being both dental how do you pronounce madrid:

madrit or madriz

im spaniard and not even myself know the correct way to say it if theres one
#24 - 5haz
A lot of Welsh words for 'modern' things are Basically English words spelt wrong.

For example I've seen Taxis in Wales with the word 'Tacsi' writtern on them.

Quote from lerts :say swidfaswidfaswidfaswidfaswidfa

'Mfraid that doesn't work, and now people are giving me funny looks.

I know that if you say 'Revolution' fast enough it begins to sound like 'Oh shit man'.

Also, try saying 'Pheasant Plucker' repetively very quickly.
This morning this road sign was actually on the Dutch morning news!

Welsh Road Sign
(26 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG