The online racing simulator
2 Skin Viewer update Suggestions
Hi, Scawen

I have 2 suggestions for the skin viewing program:

1) Right now you have to press the skin name and then select the skin from a list. However, I would like the option to click on a "left" or "right" button, so that the next skin is selected and displayed on the car model. This would not be so hard to program, I think and it would make things a lot faster for us.

2) What if you want to make the cars in the car selection screen look like the one you are driving (with the skin you use). Could you make a button in the viewer where you click and it makes such an image of the car model and skin you have selected - the correct size and correct view angle.

Or perhaps this can be implemented in-game - even better

Thank you , if you do this
How about they include the CMX veiwer INSIDE the game. It could be a menu option.
Quote from Vendetta :How about they include the CMX veiwer INSIDE the game.

Eww, no thanks. Graphics programmes tend to run rather better with only the lightweight CMX viewer running at the same time, rather than the whole of LFS.

Unless you meant have it available as a standalone and in-game, but then I must be missing something because I can't see any real reason to need it in-game if you can already fine-tune your skins without having to run LFS?
Having a CMX viewer ingame kinda defies the point of having the CMX viewer...
when is the skin viewer updated for the P beta releases? Now I can't get it started with the new abc.abc

I like the skin viewer as it's now, just light and running next to Photoshop for a good skinning experience!
Quote from wheeler :when is the skin viewer updated for the P beta releases? Now I can't get it started with the new abc.abc

I like the skin viewer as it's now, just light and running next to Photoshop for a good skinning experience!

I have my viewer in separate folder (actually it has it's own folder inside LFSs folder) so LFS updates don't screw things up. Little problem with that is that I can't view skins in the games skin folder, but it's only a minor inconvience to move the skins around since only time I move them is when I have completed one and it goes form viewers folder to games folder.
#7 - bbman
Yepp, same here... I have to copy the skins back and forth, but no update will ever screw my viewer up...
Ah then maybe a good suggestion would be to have a feature to copy skin to game skin folder in the viewer? Just have to add an option to target folder so the viewer knows where to copy, then it stores that in the settings and you just click "copy to game folder" and voilà, your skin is ingame!
I thought the viewer was supposed to be installed in separate directory... And actually the thing that I need to transfer files from skinviewer folder to lfsS2alfa folder was an unwanted hassle for me.

This can be easily avoided by having a shortcut to your lfsS2alfa folder inside your skinviewer's skins folder. In pic editor when saving, just copy the edited picture file and doubleclick the shortcut and you're in the lfsS2 skins folder: just paste the pic there and start LFS

Hyper tip of the day (R)
It took me a while to understand but i think i got it now. Basically, you want to be able to scroll through the skin list without having it pop-up, right ? Something like those 2 arrows going up/down, or left/right should do the trick.

There' s w few things about the viewer that annoy me, but at the moment i don't find this important, especially considering i use it here and there and simply to view. This is what Scawen meants when he said that releasing editors would make it more work as he'd have to maintain and update TWO apps.
how about sumthin like in 3DS Max, you can specify folders where your skins r, so eachtime it loads, it will look for skins in these folders
Quote from Fonnybone :It took me a while to understand but i think i got it now. Basically, you want to be able to scroll through the skin list without having it pop-up, right ? Something like those 2 arrows going up/down, or left/right should do the trick.

Yes, I think we have an understanding of what I want
Quote from wheeler :when is the skin viewer updated for the P beta releases? Now I can't get it started with the new abc.abc

I "fixed" the problem since I don't know when Scawen can find time to update the viewer to the new codepages. I came up with just a few lines which can be uses in a .bat/.cmd (2k,XP) because for me it's just easier to have the viewer in same dir as Lfs.exe because of skins.

[B]@echo off
cd data\abc\
copy abc.abc abc.bak
copy abc.viewer abc.abc
cd ../..
VIEWER_S2.exe
cd data\abc\
copy abc.abc abc.viewer
copy abc.bak abc.abc
del abc.bak
cd ../..[/B]

I attached the old abc.abc if anyone didn't have it anymore. Put a copy in your data/abc/ map and name it abc.viewer
Attached files
abc.zip - 16.6 KB - 155 views
Suggestions for CMX Viewer
Sorry if these have been mentioned before (they do sound obvious)

1. Remember viewer settings from last session - I always have to change to sunny conditions which I prefer. Also have to change wheel colour each time

2. Default to last car viewed and last skin viewed, instead of choosing them each time CMX Viewer is started.

3. The order of the cars is hard to scan through, think it's alphabetical. Maybe should be in the order as they appear in car selection screen of garage
While we're re-opening this thread, here's one that frustrates me:

In the viewer, it's impossible to select two colours for the rims (inner and outer) like in the game. Because of this, I can never have the cars look like they would when I use them ingame...

Would be nice if this was possible in the CMX viewer also.
I just checked the cfg files and couldn't find the lightning setting. Yes, it would be better to have the wheather default setting set to "clear" instead of cloudy. And when you open the viewer it could show you the car list at start. Now you need to click the "load cmx" button first.

But just the fact that we have a cmx viewer is great! Not many games have independant skin viewer.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG