The online racing simulator
Automatic or Manual Clutch??
(32 posts, started )
Does it make any difference?? It seems to allow to use the brakes later and put down the gears more quickly....i havent got any improvement on my PBs though.
Thanks in advance guys!!!
with the auto clutch you have a consistant clutch action, although it's the auto-blip option that makes most difference when braking hard.

Manual evrything gives you much more control, although it can mean you'll make the odd mistake.

you won't see the difference immediately in you're PBs tho', It's gonna show in more subtle ways than that.

you'll be less likely to loose control due to a mid corner gear change with manual too
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
If you don't have a clutch pedal there's no point using clutch. Simple as that.
I have the auto-clutch on. And I have auto-blips off I because like to blip manually. Blipping rules.
I have always preferred manual clutch. Gives you faster shifts, more precision to your driving and much more realism. If you don't have a clutch pedal you should stick with automatic. Although I use automatic clutch in the GTR:s and FOX/FO8, no point in using a manual clutch in those cars. Heel & toeing is a biatch with the FO8, that thing shift-locks so easily if you don't blip the throttle perfectly.
I'm using all off with FrexGP 3 pedals.
Sadly, even with automatic clutch off, LFS is clutching automaticaly when RPM the engine start stalling, wich is very disturbing to do good clutch start

Also i'm using automatic clutch on GTR's and FO8
It took some time to get used to clutch pedal without any automatic blibs or whatnot. I very rarily do blibbing mistakes or popcorn even during long races. I still drive the road cars with 3 pedals, but with GTRs I have to use auto clutch and two pedals with left foot braking. My best 3-pedal-heeltoe-blibfest on Aston Nat got me under 1.44 with XRR.

Nowadays I just suck.
I heel-toe as a matter of course in my everyday driving but I never bothered in LFS a) because I don't have a clutch pedal and b) because I know I am going to be faster when I can left foot brake and downchange at the same time.
i use manual clutch for all the cars except the MRT,FOX and FO8. i cant stand how slow the autoclutch is but i deal with it for the open wheelers. with all the other cars i just healtoe when i need to in order to keep revs up and make the car more predictable under braking
-
I'll try to take a short video of heel & toeing on my DFP/Thrustmaster pedal setup tomorrow. You can see a (bad) photo of them in my sig.
i drive barefoot most of the time in lfs. soo... with the ball of my right foot i press the gass pedal and like the mid right side of my foot i press the left pedal. i wear a size 14 (american) shoe btw.
Quote from thisnameistaken :As I said above, I can't see any way to use the heel/toe technique on a standard set of Logitech pedals. If some of you are doing it successfully, please provide photos, diagrams, videos, instructions and whatever else you can produce. Thank you!

http://www.badongo.com/vid/86581

Some guy playing LFS with some tweaked pedals & FFShifter. And heel-toeing.
-
I dont heel-toe in LFS, but I do in most normal cars, but its not exactly heel-toe, its more big toe-little toe. I have very wide feet so I just do it by putting half the ball of my foot on the brake pedal and rotating my foot around to blip to throttle with the other side of my foot.
I wouldnt want to do it like that with heavy braking though as your foot can slip off the brake sometimes.
For me, the really hard thing about proper heel-toeing is lifting your heel off of the floor while maintaining even pressure on the brake pedal.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Do you people have either a fancy set of pedals or extremely weird-shaped feet?

As I said above, I can't see any way to use the heel/toe technique on a standard set of Logitech pedals. If some of you are doing it successfully, please provide photos, diagrams, videos, instructions and whatever else you can produce. Thank you!

I modified my FrexGP from the upper pic to the lower one. I copied a Ferrari pedals design
Attached images
pedalier_talon_point.jpg
Quote from colcob :
For me, the really hard thing about proper heel-toeing is lifting your heel off of the floor while maintaining even pressure on the brake pedal.

Just keep practicing m8. That takes time.

And to be honest, I couldn't really heel-toe until the first time I tried it on track. Its much easier when you are hard on the brakes and downchanging early to high revs. You don't get to do this on the road very often.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Do you people have either a fancy set of pedals or extremely weird-shaped feet?

As I said above, I can't see any way to use the heel/toe technique on a standard set of Logitech pedals. If some of you are doing it successfully, please provide photos, diagrams, videos, instructions and whatever else you can produce. Thank you!

I agree mate. It is hard to heel toe when the throttle peddle is significantly higher than the brake pedal when it is depressed. It can be done tho.
i'm driving with a second set of pedal as a clutch for a while now, got used to heel-toeing and can't possibly imagine to drive without clutch anymore. i tried once, but every second upshift i stepped on the brakes
-
Quote from Matrixi :Here, I took a small clip of heel & toeing a few times. I didn't bother compressing it or anything, so it's a bit big (13mb) http://www.nismo.1g.fi/temp/heeltoe.avi

Nice socks
Why thank you. Usually I prefer black tennis socks but it was the laundry day.
nice video and heel-toe'ing Matrixi.

If only my momo racing pedals don't suck so much, I'd love to try that as well.

oh back on topic, I prefer manual clutching as well, used to have my Wingman throttle pedal as my clutch, but unfortunately I've broken it in half, no more clutch pedal for me
nice videos for techniques. I must give it a try again. The last time i tried, kept not braking enough (foot splipping off brake or not pressing hard enough) and coming off the track.

Some ppl said, in the gt cars/open wheel cars, they use auto clutch. Is it not faster to use the rev matching thing in these cars?
i'd think with rev matching you could lock up the tires easily cus u have to drop revs so much
-
(hind75) DELETED by hind75
there is no advantage using manual clutch at this time.

its just anoying and potential mistake.

auto clutch and no lift shifting is way faster in accelation.(especially if u using H-shifter)

LFS must should have mission stress or slower auto clutch-shifting (except GTR,FO8..etc)
i wish the autoclutch was faster and smoother for the gt class cars and openwheelers.

(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG