The online racing simulator
Redbull Powered Car, Gave him wings.
/me gives up
Attached images
untitled.JPG
#78 - J.B.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Btw Tristan, video refuses to play for me.

The file extension is wrong. Rename from AVI to MP4. And if you can't play it then it's because you're missing either Haali splitter or ffdshow.

Cool vid BTW. Did the blue car spin by itself or did you actually domino the other one into it?
Quote from evilpimp :
Just a question, if it was practice why didn't you just jump on the curb or the grass? Would it have damaged your car a lot?

He does, but inevitably when you try and drive onto a low grip bumpy surface on the inside of a corner you are going to get thrown back onto the track (which is what happens).
#80 - 5haz
Quote from S14 DRIFT :/me gives up

Typical Windows Media Player standard frustration, I don't think I've ever got it to ever play a video!

You'll just have to hope Tristan all your bad luck is effecting you now, and not next season.

Although I keep saying that about myself, and all I ever end up with are hard boiled 1600 Zetec engines.

After watching the vid, I can only say that that was one very awkward situation and I don't think there was much else you could do. Thats where shortcutting Omg Bloo flag let me through!!11 500 times as you approach backmarkers in LFS comes in handy.
Well that was the only one in recent months (read years) to not play. It must be a sign.

J.B, I tried your suggestion but WinRAR started having a spaz at me, so it won't play anyway.

Youtube it or whatever Tristan.
Quote from J.B. :
Cool vid BTW. Did the blue car spin by itself or did you actually domino the other one into it?

Looking at it the blue car seemed to be traveling very slowly (for a winged car), it looks like the white (unwinged car) had decided to slot in behind it on the outside letting Tristan take the inside. Presumably he was expecting the other car to be quicker than him round the corner as well and moved sharply to the right to avoid him when he realised this wasn't the case, I'm pretty sure the blue car was taken out by the white one but it is unclear and rather academic whether that was before or after hitting Tristan.
#83 - J.B.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Well that was the only one in recent months (read years) to not play. It must be a sign.

J.B, I tried your suggestion but WinRAR started having a spaz at me, so it won't play anyway.

Rename the avi not the rar.
I renamed it to Accident Clip.MP4 but it doesn't change anything because when I stick it out of the RAR onto my desktop it just says "Accident Clip".

No big bother anyway, thanks for the attempted help
#85 - J.B.
Quote from ajp71 :Looking at it the blue car seemed to be traveling very slowly (for a winged car), it looks like the white (unwinged car) had decided to slot in behind it on the outside letting Tristan take the inside. Presumably he was expecting the other car to be quicker than him round the corner as well and moved sharply to the right to avoid him when he realised this wasn't the case, I'm pretty sure the blue car was taken out by the white one but it is unclear and rather academic whether that was before or after hitting Tristan.

But I wonder if the white car was even aware of Tristan? It does look like it at first but then why does he move over to right so far?
#86 - J.B.
Quote from S14 DRIFT :I renamed it to Accident Clip.MP4 but it doesn't change anything because when I stick it out of the RAR onto my desktop it just says "Accident Clip".

No big bother anyway, thanks for the attempted help

n00b. You need to enable file extensions in Windows. Otherwise you can't change the extension.
Rename the sticked out thingie.
Edit: I failed!
#88 - 5haz
Quote from J.B. :But I wonder if the white car was even aware of Tristan? It does look like it at first but then why does he move over to right so far?

Probrably right, I think in that situation its probrably best to stay behing the blue car and slam the brakes on, its very easy to have to make a sudden panic 'knee jerk' move to avoid a collision without checking who's path you're swerving into, basically a simple human mistake.
Quote from J.B. :But I wonder if the white car was even aware of Tristan? It does look like it at first but then why does he move over to right so far?

I think by the end of the video he's quite aware of Tristan.
#90 - J.B.
Quote from J.B. :n00b. You need to enable file extensions in Windows. Otherwise you can't change the extension.

By going to tools - folder options - view tab - and unticking hide extensions for known file types. Failing that, google k lite codec pack.

OT, damn, that was a nasty looking situation Tristan.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I think by the end of the video he's quite aware of Tristan.

I wouldn't have been. I'd still be wondering wtf happened to me :P.

It looked pretty nasty though that was a sharp flip too heh. Poor guy :S. Pretty sure that now he'll check his mirrors 3-4 times before changing lines like that lol.
Quote from evilpimp :Ouchy. :S That looked pretty bad for the poor guy but thats what you get for moving so suddenly*towards the inside without checking your sides. :S Sucks for him.

Just a question, if it was practice why didn't you just jump on the curb or the grass? Would it have damaged your car a lot?

No, that was the race - sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Quote from ajp71 :He does, but inevitably when you try and drive onto a low grip bumpy surface on the inside of a corner you are going to get thrown back onto the track (which is what happens).

That corner is quite quick, so tightening your line that much at short notice onto a lower grip surface isn't all that easy. I tried, but the kerb (and the hump at the end of it) spat me back out again.

Quote from ajp71 :Looking at it the blue car seemed to be traveling very slowly (for a winged car), it looks like the white (unwinged car) had decided to slot in behind it on the outside letting Tristan take the inside. Presumably he was expecting the other car to be quicker than him round the corner as well and moved sharply to the right to avoid him when he realised this wasn't the case, I'm pretty sure the blue car was taken out by the white one but it is unclear and rather academic whether that was before or after hitting Tristan.

The blue car (Nick Catanzaro) isn't very quick. The white car (Rupert Reader) was being held up for several laps. Nick ran wide, and Rupert seized his opportunity. Only at the last second, by which time both our cars were sliding, did he see a flash of red in his mirrors.

He knew I was there moments before we touched, but by then we'd run out of talent to recover the situation!

S14 - I'll have these on Vimeo at some point. Got to sort out a sound-sync issue first. Sorry for the problems with the clip - video codecs are truely horrid. MPEG2 8mbps interlaced raw files. I want deinterlaced MPEG2 for keeping on my computer. I want lower bitrate versions for uploading to Youtube/Vimeo. And I want lower bitrate still in FLV files for my own gallery... Add to that trying to find a combination that gave me a small size and decent ish quality - I didn't choose a very good option.
Personally I think there should be a standard computer video format that can do everything, maintain high quality, smaller sizes AND be compatible. I'd use H.264 more, but too many people struggle to play it, and internet browsers don't seem to like it much...
Lol tis no problemos it happens, just tell me when you have uploaded it
Woah - talk about flipping him one. Glad to read everyone is ok - shame about the bloke's car though.

What I'm wondering about is "where were the blue flags?" or, if indeed they were waved, did he think the blue flag only concerned the guy you were chasing at the time and thought the coast was clear?
Nasty accident, glad to hear the other guy is okay. Just a racing incident at the end of the day. I guess you can't expect the backmarkers to be perfect at that level of motorsport and with people at such different speeds you are going to have accidents like that. I'm guessing that's their season done? Or if not, you guys will be helping them a lot from now on, perhaps offer to buy him some new mirrors.
Ooh nasty, unlucky Tristan. Seemed like you did all you could to avoid that. We've got a couple of pics from ths Sunday of you at Russell, if you want them PM me with an email addy to send them to.
PM sent
What camera do you use Tristan?
It's a Dogcam Sony HQ1 with a Chasecam PDR100 recorder (and internal mic). The whole lot is going onto the new car, so you'll all be able to see me make a fool of myself trying to drive a very different car!

Cliffe crashes out of the lead
(324 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG