The online racing simulator
The Pros and Cons of modding
(47 posts, started )
I guess this really falls into the category of things that are totally useless to discuss because it has next to zero chance to happen.

I mean, by now, we know Scavier enough to tell that their business plan is something they won't let go off easily. They'd probably let go LFS altogether rather than opening it to mods and what-not, which is quite understandable considering what happens to sims that are opened to mods. It's not a path Scavier intends to go into, and I must say I agree entirely with this decision.

If there was a word to describe LFS's developpers it would be independant.
#27 - 5haz
I'm afraid LFS will be quickly forgotten after S3 final comes out if thats the case.
That's in 10 years time - my guess
So plenty of time to enjoy!

Now discussing mods - this LFS tweak is here and spreading like a disease, whatewer we want or say here.
I have seen no official reaction apart from mods dutifully removing links, attachements or too obvious references. I'm missing a statement from the dev team here...

Sorry for the hijack but it seems to me that modding is already at the gate, so I think it would be better to discuss how that will be handled rather than allowing it or not.
Great addition to mod. Allowing the user to create their own personal licence plate. > Show all the different licence plate from different country. In the picture is a mod: Good addition for the future.
Attached images
LFS platemod .jpg
PlateMod1.JPG
ScreenSHot2 .jpg
if modding will be accepted,make it after the last release of lfs,for now lets says Final s3.
Con: Like in rFactor and GTR 2 you have to download Gigabytes over Gigabytes ofcontent only for joining a server....this is because i dont race them
Pros.- I run every weekend with my KZ2 (6 shifter kart) in an specific karting track (now Sallent). I would be to do the track with a lot of details and a new car with a lot of details too. It would be use as a training tool.

Now only I can to do this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9amj76XNrw
Quote from Trekkerfahrer :Con: Like in rFactor and GTR 2 you have to download Gigabytes over Gigabytes ofcontent only for joining a server....this is because i dont race them

It's a problem with modding, but it's not a problem with adding handpicked and approved community content to LFS as it would simply included within the LFS install.
Pro: Modded content would not be accessible to demo-ers

Con: More crackers
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Con: More crackers

Can you explain?

More content does obviously increase the temptation to crack. But crackers can only use it in single-player mode. The current safeguards against using cracks in on-line races would still be effective.
Quote from DieKolkrabe :Con: More crackers

Easily turned back into a pro with an additional shipment of cheese.
Damn you Bob, Now I want a cheese sandwich! Mmm...crackers and cheese...

@wsinda: The crackers would see the modded content and crack to get it, much with the current content. IMO modded content should only be able to people who have bought LFS, that way it keeps the demo as it is, i.e. a taster of LFS
very true... but then others upload on other sites...
But, if the mods were ONLY released on one place (e.g. lfs.net) officially, as well as having license checking, and updates were ONLY downloadable from lfs.net, how would the people trying to pirate the mods crack them then?
If it was community made content as per my system available from LFSWorld or included within the LFS file and submitted in a 3ds format that would be a non-issue
Its quite a difficult subject to touch on, even though the idea COULD potentially bring new members you have the issue of loosing the professional finish that this game has.
One thing I don't like about rFactor is that say you try one of the more HOME MADE mods, the actual game feels cheap and you get bored of them quick.

Pros it would be good to see a few new cars but then again I couldn't think of what style. You have done a very good selection, you have the FWDs, F1 cars, AWD, race style cars and the RWDs
Quote from polepositiondriver :
Pros it would be good to see a few new cars but then again I couldn't think of what style. You have done a very good selection, you have the FWDs, F1 cars, AWD, race style cars and the RWDs

Well actually there is a lot of different cars that could be added to the game. For instance, not all of the NA RWD cars handle like the XRG, and not ALL of the rwd turbo cars handle like the XRT.

The game has got a good selection of cars already but I think this could be improved again. For example, the basic idea of LFS was club racing, that's why the devs could add more road cars. I would like to drive a FR NA RWD car that is lighter than the XRG and has more power as well. People will say : don't bitch around, there's the LX6. The only problem with the LX6 is that it actually handles more like a midship or a RR engine due to the weight repartition than to a FR car...

I am for two kinds of modding :
- People design cars and tracks and then submit it to the devs (or at least a supervising team directly under the devs' command) which would judge whether : *It has not anything to do with real cars (for copyright purposes) | *It adds something new and interesting to the game (for instant LMP would be a very great addition to the game).
- A "from scratch" class where you actually design your own car and its specs using different parts that would match the LFS' spirit. This would allow leagues to set up their very own rules for the cars and allow more freedom while preventing abusive use in standard servers. Hey, as an example, the host can choose between a serie of border values for settings or can prohib the use of certain or all parts in order to make the people build a car allowed by the rules. If the cars has any value above or below this regulation, he can't join the race/server. Hey people will fear that it would be like LFS tweak. But come on, with tweak it is very hard to make a working setup for a car, so the powah freaks won't gain anything by doing something that has 3000hp. It is easier to create a very good setup than to do a driveable fast tweak.
Quote from Zen321 :The game has got a good selection of cars already but I think this could be improved again. For example, the basic idea of LFS was club racing, that's why the devs could add more road cars. I would like to drive a FR NA RWD car that is lighter than the XRG and has more power as well. People will say : don't bitch around, there's the LX6. The only problem with the LX6 is that it actually handles more like a midship or a RR engine due to the weight repartition than to a FR car...

Agreed (although for club level racing there is the small matter of a non-downforce FFord style single seater) - maybe even thinking outside the box like truck racing.

Quote :
I am for two kinds of modding :
- People design cars and tracks and then submit it to the devs (or at least a supervising team directly under the devs' command) which would judge whether : *It has not anything to do with real cars (for copyright purposes) | *It adds something new and interesting to the game (for instant LMP would be a very great addition to the game).

Agreed.

Quote :- A "from scratch" class where you actually design your own car and its specs using different parts that would match the LFS' spirit. This would allow leagues to set up their very own rules for the cars and allow more freedom while preventing abusive use in standard servers. Hey, as an example, the host can choose between a serie of border values for settings or can prohib the use of certain or all parts in order to make the people build a car allowed by the rules. If the cars has any value above or below this regulation, he can't join the race/server. Hey people will fear that it would be like LFS tweak. But come on, with tweak it is very hard to make a working setup for a car, so the powah freaks won't gain anything by doing something that has 3000hp. It is easier to create a very good setup than to do a driveable fast tweak.

Skeptical about that one, sorry.
Let people add new cars and tracks if they want, if they will proof they are really good you could add them to LFS.

All over the iNet there are lot of "mods" like textures, power tweaks, rim tweaks, etc. why not little support for it?
Quote from duke_toaster :
Skeptical about that one, sorry.

Well, actually it is kinda hard to explain.

What I meant is add like a new car called : "???" for instance or "CUS" for custom. Once in the setup editor, you will have more choice. Before "tuning" (like in LFS = optimizing your car), you have other options to create the base of your car : you choose the chassis and its dimension (widht, height, length (SS or road car), the position of the engine and its specs (displacement, number of cylinders, architecture, the the bore/stroke ratio which would define horsepower/torque ratio under capped values -realistic ones-, if there is a turbo or not), the suspension type, the number of speeds in the gearbox the dimension of the tires, their compound and their position relative to the chassis, between different panels of different materials (for the design and the weight of the whole stuff), aerodyanism parts. (basically what every race team does when they build a car from scratch).
Under those tabs, you will also have the standard "tuning" tabs we have in Live For Speed.
If you do two different setups with two different looks, it means you change cars within the CUS class.

I agree that we can have the fear of the noobs building funky cars, filming them and putting it on youtube which will result giving a bad name to LFS. I agree this is the worst fear we can have about this. I agree also that it is not my favourite suggestion.

But seeing how long it takes for Scavier to create a fully functionnal car, people will have to think it long enough to make it good. Once again, only a few league would authorize these cars, and would be able via Insim to define capped values for their servers (like the regulations of the FIA).
This way, people would stop requesting all the tims and arguing which newt car would suit more in LFS. This can be hard to accept, as a suggestion, regarding the risks it holds, I have to admit.
And I sincerely prefer the two first I have quoted before .
So it would be for single seaters only or would it need lots of body parts to select?

Sounds a bit better, but the jury's still out on that one. It's not on the other proposal, it's just if it's going to happen.
Quote from duke_toaster :So it would be for single seaters only or would it need lots of body parts to select?

Sounds a bit better, but the jury's still out on that one. It's not on the other proposal, it's just if it's going to happen.

Well having it for road cars as well could be interesting, but a pain to choose as you mentionned.
However, with SS only, it could be an interesting step as well

The Pros and Cons of modding
(47 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG