The online racing simulator
Why is car modding considered "illegal"
Why is modding vob files illegal?
It's not hurting anyone
Why does it matter if we edit them or whatnot?
What you do in the privacy of your own home is your own business, but these things have a tendancy to spread into the wider populace. It's the use of these 'mods' online that cause's consternation. Prehaps there should be a 'Mod users register' or something.
#3 - aoun
Quote from Dyllaann :Why is modding vob files illegal?
It's not hurting anyone
Why does it matter if we edit them or whatnot?

Why don't i mod your house?
It's not the same if you'd "mod" his house IMO.

If you buy a house, you're allowed to "mod" it according to your own taste?
Because the devs say so.
Quote from jibber :It's not the same if you'd "mod" his house IMO.

If you buy a house, you're allowed to "mod" it according to your own taste?

Not necessarily. In the UK at least, you need planning permission to do any mods, external or internal. And if you live in a designated Conservation Area, you need to do the mods in a style that suits the rest of the house and the area. So that's design and colours that get chosen for you.

LFS mods are usually disallowed because they can give someone an advantage over someone else. And of course they mess up the whole WR process as well.
Quote from Dajmin :Not necessarily. In the UK at least, you need planning permission to do any mods, external or internal. And if you live in a designated Conservation Area, you need to do the mods in a style that suits the rest of the house and the area. So that's design and colours that get chosen for you.

LFS mods are usually disallowed because they can give someone an advantage over someone else. And of course they mess up the whole WR process as well.

I thought it was because of LFS's concept of stages. Each stage unlocks new content. If you'd create your own content, nobody would buy S1, S2 or S3 anymore.
It's not illegal to modify LFS. It is not illegal to release a mod for LFS, as far as I know. LFS has no EULA, anyway. But if you do release a mod for LFS, then you risk being banned from the game. Because, the devs can ban you for whatever reason they want, it says that in writing on the website. It's not illegal, but expect to be banned from the forum and/or LFS if you release a mod without permission.

With some software, it is actually illegal to modify it in any way, as in they can legally sue you if you modify it. Windows is this way. There is a shitload of rules and regulations which microsoft can sue you for. But LFS doesn't really have a EULA. I think that the devs should make an actual EULA for LFS
thanks for replies,
i wish the devs or mods would reply
Ohshi. W4H got pawnt. >_<
and it'd be like rfactor where online sucks because all the servers seem to not have the mod you have...
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Ohshi. W4H got pawnt. >_<

That isn't actually a EULA though. It says it is, but how is the user supposed to agree with that if they don't know that it exists? A proper EULA should be included, either in the readme, or in a separate file named "EULA.txt", or a proper installer with the whole EULA screen. Otherwise, it is useless.
This is not true. When you want to buy a license, after you select the payment method, you will be redirected to the EULA screen with an "I agree" and "Cancel" button at the bottom.
Quote from AndroidXP :This is not true. When you want to buy a license, after you select the payment method, you will be redirected to the EULA screen with an "I agree" and "Cancel" button at the bottom.

What if you download the demo?
Well I never read the legal mumbo jumbo, and since it can be changed at any time, what's the point?
Considered illegal because the devs don't want it. You can mod it for youself, just do not post the link on the forum.
id love to get a track editor
It's illegal because it's against the EULA and ergo (technically) a breach of contract.
Quote from duke_toaster :It's illegal because it's against the EULA and ergo (technically) a breach of contract.

The "EULA" that is on lfs.net says nothing about modding.
Quote from wheel4hummer :The "EULA" that is on lfs.net says nothing about modding.

I don't get what point you are trying to make. Modding is not allowed by the LFS Developers and posting mods on here will most likely result in your S2 license being removed.

They do it because if they spend all this time making a game and tuning physics, for someone to come along and change the models all of the developers hard work is undone and is instead replaced by an inaccurate buggy model that some random made.
But saying that I'm sure if the Devs opened up the doors to certain people who can do some very nice work, then possibly giving them the 'job' of making some new models would bring more cars and help reduce the workload.
Quote from mcintyrej :Modding is not allowed by the LFS Developers

Yes it is.

Quote from http://www.lfsforum.net/privacy.htm :4) Any "mods" - modifications to the Live for Speed exe, must be discussed with a moderator before being released on the forum. If a mod is approved by a moderator, it may then be released in the appropriate section of the forum. Please do not contact a developer as we do not support mods and do not have the time to deal with them. Any mods which change the shape of a car model, or which allow online cheating or circumvent HLVC, will be rejected.

No-where do I see "Modifications are prohibited."
With all respect, you're one old nitpicker...

Sure nothing says it's prohibited to "mod" the game. If you can manage to implement new car models replacing the old ones and use them at home, noone will know, noone will sue you.
If you make a movie out of it and post it on youtube though, things might change. Look at what stupid kiddies do all day with speedhacks. If ONE irresponsible person publishes how car models are made and implemented, more people will start doing it, split the whole scene into modders and non-modders, build shoeboxes with infinite grip and power, ruin their lfs folder maybe, won't be able to play online anymore because of invalid parameters, will start crying around here and keep the devs off from work,..........

It may not be prohibited by law, but modding cars is not wanted by most people in the community, period. Anyone with some common sense knows that we may not modify anything, and if you ask me (I know you don't :-)) The day LFS gets moddable by everyone will be the beginning of the end for a great game I really really enjoyed for more than 4 years now.

greetz

der butz

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG