The online racing simulator
Anyone else here using an arcade monitor?
(16 posts, started )
I got a Ridge Racer cabinet for free, but it seems I need some sort of converter to put VGA signals into the monitor in it. The rest of the PC conversion is simple, I'll just wire the switches and pots up to guts of some old wheels and joysticks, but the monitor I may need some help with!
Not too sure what input you'd want for the monitor, composites should be OK for you though. If so, take a look at this puppy, should do the trick

That thing looks like amazing fun if LFS works with it Will you have to put in £2 every 5 minutes though?

Also, on the thread title, I think it's quite safe to say you're alone in that respect
#3 - hda
if it's anything like the typical arcade it should have the words "insert a coin" burned into the screen (Phosphor burn-in).
haha!

Yes, it does!

It's not composite - it's RGB, apparently some graphics cards can handle it wired directly, some will need an amplifier, and all will need the frequency changed from 31kHz to 15.7. Need to try this out - I'll probably do that later today.
Hmm, not too sure so...If you have a reasonably modern Nvidia card, it might have the special "Nvidia" output on it. Mine does, and this allows me to connect it straight to component cables (but unfortunatly, the card is recessed into the case I have, and there isn't enough room for me to plug it in :rolleyes. If not, this should do the trick, the reviews say that it'll plug straight into a TV and work fine (though there are some reviews that say it didn't work for them. Never got one myself though, so can't vouch for it...)

Of course, since the TV in the case is more than likely fubbered (how old is ridge racer...11 years by now?), it's probably a lot easier to find a medium sized monitor and lay that in
It's not a TV! It has an RGB input, not composite.

Anyway, there is software (soft-15k) that will work with Nvidia 8xxx series cards and work directly with it. I'll try it out tommorrow.
Meh, it's close enough to a TV. Big black thing with pictures on it :rolleyes:

RGB is component (or one version of it according to one site. Still the same thing though. See attached pic, it's the yoke that plugs into my video card, with the RGB as output). 3 cables, Y, Yb and Yr. They're even colour-coded Red, Green and Blue on the actual cables I'm running my monitor directly off of these now (decided to slice and dice the case a bit in the end :schwitz, no software or adaptors needed. What is the software you're using for? Should just plug straight in
Attached images
01102008091.jpg
Quote from dougie-lampkin : 3 cables, Y, Yb and Yr. They're even colour-coded Red, Green and Blue on the actual cables

Y/Yb/Yr, also called YPbPr, is not RGB. If it were RGB, then it wouldn't be called YPbPr. Y is the luma, or brightness of the video. Yb is the difference between the luma and the blue. Yr is the difference between luma and red. Green is calculated using the luma, and color information. Arcade monitors use RGB, not YPbPr. "Component video" does not mean YPbPr. Arcade monitors use RGB component video. Component video just means that the video is split up into two or more different components.
Anyway.

The monitor in my Ridge Racer cab wasn't working - but redoing a bunch of dodgy solder joints and it was fine. It's a 33" Hantarex Polo, which takes VGA-level signals without an amplifier, but only at 15kHz (or, possibly, 25kHz).

Installed "Soft-15kHz" on my PC, and it works great - runs up to 800x600. Bit low I guess but means it won't need a really fast PC to get good results, I can use the extra power to turn the detail up instead.

It really is the dog's!

I'll post a video or two once Google Video has processed them.
#11 - Jakg
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Meh, it's close enough to a TV. Big black thing with pictures on it :rolleyes:

RGB is component (or one version of it according to one site. Still the same thing though. See attached pic, it's the yoke that plugs into my video card, with the RGB as output). 3 cables, Y, Yb and Yr. They're even colour-coded Red, Green and Blue on the actual cables I'm running my monitor directly off of these now (decided to slice and dice the case a bit in the end :schwitz, no software or adaptors needed. What is the software you're using for? Should just plug straight in

OT - Advent 64xx with a 17" screen by any chance?
Almost Advent 9517 17"

You needs moar training, I suppose you could take the two laptops home for a couple of weeks to compare?
#13 - Jakg
Noooooo we don't have the 9xxx's

How can I go to work tomorrow now
Quote from TangoUniform92 :

I'll post a video or two once Google Video has processed them.

I know google video is slow but hmmmm :sleep2:

I wanna see this beast
looks funny

Nice work

(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG