The online racing simulator
Quake 3 Arena Is Still Great!
(30 posts, started )
No other Quake threads then.

Wanted to post this cos I've been getting back into Quake 3 Arena again just lately. Can't believe I'm still playing it. I was first introduced to the game on the Dreamcast and I think that shows how old it is. Todays hardware plays it at full res with triple antialiasing etc no worries so it's kinda got better.

It's still a blinder and has all the competitive spirit of a racing simulator like LFS. There are aliens in Quake just as in LFS. I still feel like a beginner but I love it. Got me thinking if any of you boys frequent the arenas?

Would love to battle my old LFS mates in Quake.
You won't find existing threads on Quake if you spell it wrong. Fixed your thread title.
I loved that game but I lost the disc a while ago and havn't been able to buy it again. Some great times playing it online - first played it years and years ago and loved it straight away.
Quote from mcintyrej :I loved that game but I lost the disc a while ago and havn't been able to buy it again. Some great times playing it online - first played it years and years ago and loved it straight away.

same here....
lost my cd but i still have my cd key
Started last year on a Lan, but after going online and 20 consecutive head shots I closed it...
Learning curve too damn steep!
The game is a winner on LAN parties. Usually me and my buddy ends up playing that game all night long.
But what worries me tho - each time we play it everyone gets stomach pain. No, I am not kidding, after 15-20 min playing Quake 3 Arena my and the others buddy's stomach'es start to hurt.. But we ignore that and play it further, despite the pain
I remember playing the demo on my Voodoo 2 SLI rig @ 1024 locekd at 60 fps which was godlike at the time.
I still play it to this day ....
#8 - SamH
I just had a look. I can find my Quake III Team Arena disc, but I can't find the Quake disc. I think I need both to run it
Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :I remember playing the demo on my Voodoo 2 SLI rig @ 1024 locekd at 60 fps which was godlike at the time.

Snap...apart from the 'I still play it to this day' part

Last time I did play though was against you & dSRC dudes I remember doing OK...but getting humped in HL2 by Kryten & you afterwards...(Ok you thrashed me in Q3 too!)
#10 - Woz
We play a bit of Open Arena and Urban Terror at work at lunch (Both built on the open Q3A source)

Q3 is still the best 1V1 there is an mods like RA3 still hold it. Q3 is still ALWAYS in the top 10 online FPS in the gamespy charts BTW.

QuakeLive should bring Q3 back up in players again.

I always loved it because it was clean, simple, balanced and VERY pure in gameplay and physics.

Things like strafe/circle jumps meant there was a far bigger learning curve than many FPS.

I would hate to total how many hours Q3 has taken from my life, far more than LFS if I am honest
Is the free version out yet? I like free stuff and forgot about this one.

Point me at a decent server and I might see you on there
Quote from Gener_AL (UK) :I remember playing the demo on my Voodoo 2 SLI rig @ 1024 locekd at 60 fps which was godlike at the time.

ANd you failed playing online with me :8
i'm also looking forward to quake live... the beta looks promising
the fact that all the remaining invites are gone could be a hint at an upcoming open beta in the near future, hope to see you there

as for the gameplay... it's basically quake 3 v.1.5. the graphics are the same and the movement only changed a bit to kinda take it closer to what cpma and osp were.

i love it
Quote from The Very End :The game is a winner on LAN parties. Usually me and my buddy ends up playing that game all night long.
But what worries me tho - each time we play it everyone gets stomach pain. No, I am not kidding, after 15-20 min playing Quake 3 Arena my and the others buddy's stomach'es start to hurt.. But we ignore that and play it further, despite the pain

I get big time motion sickness when I play FPS games. I didn't used to, but now I get queasy, headaches, you name it. That's why I stopped playing FPS games and went to racing sims. Good move on my part I'd say.
I've always found FPS games terribly simplistic and mundane. Victory in Quake lies in controlling the weapon spawn points so experience almost always wins and team co-ordination to better equip you whole side means pick up and play in an online game just doesnt work.

I quite enjoyed the Star Wars Battlefront one as that had some atmosphere and I love Star Wars, but ultimately it's the same shallow drivel. The quite old now Jedi Knight games where quite good because the force powers added something new to the genre and I liked using the light sabre.

BF2 replaced the deathmatch concept with 'sit at an empty flag thingy for 2 minutes until its captured' and 'oh look a tank im dead' aspects to the gameplay. So although pretty I found it quite dull.

Most FPS games fail badly at LAN parties because their maps are designed for so many players, and small maps became too samey too fast.

With a little more forethought the concept could be awe inspiring, but games arent written for LAN parties or small online communities, they're written for big servers where 12 year olds shout the F word constantly.

By far the only FPS game to be any good was Hidden & Dangerous. Where multiplayer was co-operative and it worked well with the small numbers of players at a LAN party. Maybe that's why I ended up with so many copies of it!

I never did try H&D 2 though.
I dunno I agree that Quake is mundane and just about controlling weapon spawn points. I find my Quake skills are always improving when I play even after all these years. I am now fairly accurate when I am not moving and I am beginning to become more accurate while moving too.

These are key skills and some people in the areans just have amazing accuracy.

My ability to hit fast moving targets with the rocket launcher is improving too as I begin to learn to give some lead.

My movement skills during a battle are also improving. I am now beginning to become more aware of my position in relation to walls which is important.

So in summary I think a game that allows you to improve key skills like:

Stationary Accuracy
Accuracy on the Move
Attacking/Defensive Movement
Spacial Awareness

should not ever be described as simplistic or mundane.
Have been playing a little of the Quake live and htnk its really good for a web based game basicaly a scalled down Quake 3 works really well .

I have to say though Half Life owned it back in the day
lol i just reinstalled q3 too last week!
got quake 4 too but meh q3 is more fun

and damn i wanna get in quake live beta
Quote from Danke :I get big time motion sickness when I play FPS games. I didn't used to, but now I get queasy, headaches, you name it. That's why I stopped playing FPS games and went to racing sims. Good move on my part I'd say.

Motion Sickness? What exactly is that?
Either way, it's only happening in Quake 3, every other game like UT games etc does not afflict me the way Quake does.
I've been turned off Quake since Quake IV, but everytime someone mentions one of the oldies I remember again how good the earlier games were, especially Quake 3. I also loved the original Quake for the ability to mouselook (missing in Doom I think), which really helped to cement in that 1st person, *you are there* feeling.
Anyone wishing to test their skills.
I'll be online at this address

Version 1.32c

(If you get any errors or cant connect please post)
Ahh I wish I could join you Al but can't find my disc.
Bump!

The id Super Pack on steam is £18, for about £100 worth of games. I'm only going to get it for quake 3 mainly - are there actually any online servers still? Do people play on them? I probably won't get it if its only going to be me online by myself.

So if anyone has it and 2 minutes to check for me i'd be greatful!
Quote from mcintyrej :Bump!

The id Super Pack on steam is £18, for about £100 worth of games. I'm only going to get it for quake 3 mainly - are there actually any online servers still? Do people play on them? I probably won't get it if its only going to be me online by myself.

So if anyone has it and 2 minutes to check for me i'd be greatful!

I played 2 years ago and there were plenty of hosts around. I think it's one of those games that have the hardcore guys still constantly playing for eternity...

Okay, 2 year old info isn't very useful but it might give you an indication: it is an old game, remember.

(30 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG