The online racing simulator
Car buying advice
(109 posts, started )
All clio's bar the V6 were FWD though weren't they?

If it's your first car get a FWD eurobox. I can suggest a Ford Focus, Vauxhall Astra, Corsa or a Toyota Yaris.

Everyone dreams of being able to be the coolest young kid on the block with their M3 at 18 but you're only going to crash, kill yourself, and maybe other people.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Ferrari 355? lululul.

Heh... at that pricepoint I'd much rather take the 512TR (one of my childhood dream cars) and forget about that F355.

Quote :I think anything affordable and Italian is FWD.

As far as I know I'm afraid you're right. Still hoping someone here can prove me wrong though.

Quote :If you go back a decade you could get a Alfa Romeo 75.

Yuck that was the really bad period in Alfa's history.

Quote from Hyperactive :Toyota Supra

Already though of it but comes with just about any problem a car could have starting from being owned by chavs, price, often being RHD and many more.

Quote from ajp71 :It was a hot version of the original Clio, with a very long stroke 2 litre, very light and capable cars, rather a love hate kind of thing though. They only made a limited run so expect to pay quite a lot for an old hot hatch certainly something a little different.

Hm interesting but at around 8k it is a bit more than I'd be willing to spend on what at the end of the day is a Clio.

Quote :What about a Talbot Sunbeam Lotus? A well sorted one will fly and you're bound to embarrass some smug Porsche drivers with it. A well sorted example should be reachable within your budget, though I'm not sure what the availability of left hand drive one is like (or if they even made them).

At the moment I can only find one available and the guy wants 22k for it.
Also judging by its age I suspect it hasn't got a Cat which means that with the new regulations in Germany you won't be allowed to drive into just about any town that matters by 2010 or something. Basically it has got to be either Euro 1 or preferably for tax reasons Euro 2. either that or old enough to be eligible for a historic car licence plate which naturally will make it both too expensive and unuseable as a daily driver.

However I really like your thinking there. Very interesting mostly unknown car that won't make you want to kill yourself every time you turn the engine on which I hadn't thought of, and a Lotus too; exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to get out of this thread.

Quote from S14 DRIFT :Everyone dreams of being able to be the coolest young kid on the block with their M3 at 18 but you're only going to crash, kill yourself, and maybe other people.

I'm 25 have got years of driving experience and served my hatchback years; go on somebody elses nerves please.
#28 - JJ72
A lotus carlton would be a proper car......

now I dunno about the reliability bit but it ticks all the other boxes.

+ it's a classic.
Caterham?

Ok, maybe not for the obvious reasons (usability, comfort etc.)

I don't really see much other choises apart from the beemers. There are of course those porsche 944s and alike but reliability is not the best. You would get a lot more choises if you accepted fwd. You could at least take a look what you have there? I mean, rwd is nice but you don't have much alternatives if you must go that way, which you must already know
BMW is what you need.
Quote from JJ72 :A lotus carlton would be a proper car......

now I dunno about the reliability bit but it ticks all the other boxes.

+ it's a classic.

Nice idea only it will cost me about 20k.
If it weren't for the price we'd really be getting somewhere with the lotuses (loti?!?).

Quote from Hyperactive :Caterham?

Ok, maybe not for the obvious reasons (usability, comfort etc.)

Hehe another one of these great choices for a second car, if i had the money to spare and a car for daily use already I'd buy one immediatelly.

Quote :I don't really see much other choises apart from the beemers.

There's so many reasons against them; they're boring, from my experience fairly uncomfortable if you're taller than 180 and I'd really like a car that doesn't come with preconceived notions about my character.

Quote :There are of course those porsche 944s and alike but reliability is not the best.

Ah yeah considered those already and the tick a lot of the additional boxes like flip up headlights but I'm not sure if its a wise choice for the reasons you already pointed out. [cycling into signposts mode]Although my aunt has one which seems to run just fine on 3 pots .

Quote :You would get a lot more choises if you accepted fwd. You could at least take a look what you have there? I mean, rwd is nice but you don't have much alternatives if you must go that way, which you must already know

Yes I know the world seems to have entirely forgotten about RWD. But if I'll pay me own money for a car the last thing I'd want to hear from it is that chirping understeer you're bound to get with an FWD.
But if you can come up with anything more interesting than a Focus or Mini hit me.
#32 - JJ72
20k is for euros?

tough one really, everything cheap and RWD has been japanese - sub 8k um........sierra and capris? I've seen very cheap capris in the UK.
Quote from Shotglass :Nice idea only it will cost me about 20k.
If it weren't for the price we'd really be getting somewhere with the lotuses (loti?!?).

Then you want a Ford Lotus Cortina.

Hell, even the non-lotus version still kicks major arse and they are stupidly cheap. Ticks all the boxes and it has a cuteness which women folk love.
Quote from Shotglass :
I'm 25 have got years of driving experience and served my hatchback years; go on somebody elses nerves please.

Oh, I'm terribly sorry, since you were asking for car advice, telling us that you were starting a propper job and wanting to move out I (perhaps rightfully) assumed you were younger!

I'm sorry I misinterperated the obvious!
Quote from JJ72 :20k is for euros?

Aye.

Quote :tough one really, everything cheap and RWD has been japanese

Yup would be great to live in a RHS country right now.

Quote :sub 8k um........sierra and capris? I've seen very cheap capris in the UK.

Don't forget about the Cat/Euro2 problem.

Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Then you want a Ford Lotus Cortina.

Hell, even the non-lotus version still kicks major arse and they are stupidly cheap. Ticks all the boxes and it has a cuteness which women folk love.

But it either has 60hp or is over budget and it's too old to have a Cat and probably too young to get a historic licence plate.
Quote from Shotglass :But it either has 60hp or is over budget and it's too old to have a Cat and probably too young to get a historic licence plate.

You can get the non-lotus versions for ~2k and the car doesn't need mental horsepower, they are still a blast to drive.

A late 1960s car is too young for historic?
TBH I don't knwo exactly where the cut is and if the car model matters at all. But with 60hp it will be hopeless on the Autobahn anyway
Cosworth it, then you've got a fun wagon. I say fun, I mean scary.
Quote from Shotglass :Seems as if they are fairly cheap very rare and not the most exciting thing there is. It doesn't really jump out from the pictures and makes me want it.

Well then try to find a 3dr, the "whaletail" one, they certainly "jump out" and are some serious fun. Also those Cossie engines are very easily tuneable.
#40 - LewX
How about nissan silvia s13/s14/s15 they are pretty cheap. S15 is probably over 10k though.
Pontiac solstice.

23 000$ brand new, sure you can get it for way cheaper then that used and thats in dollars. Its RWD, small, fast, good looking. Perfect. (And you get to practice in it in iRacing :P)
Quote from BigPeBe :Well then try to find a 3dr, the "whaletail" one

You mean the double rear spoiler? It's certainly striking and unusual.

Quote :they certainly "jump out" and are some serious fun. Also those Cossie engines are very easily tuneable.

I'll put it on the maybes.

Quote from LewX :How about nissan silvia s13/s14/s15 they are pretty cheap. S15 is probably over 10k though.

So far I've found 2 on the internet; both of them RHD and both of them with hideous bodykits. They are nice cars and judging by what the Japanese like to use them for drivers cars as well, but finding one here is next to impossible.

Quote from evilpimp :Pontiac solstice.

23 000$ brand new, sure you can get it for way cheaper then that used and thats in dollars. Its RWD, small, fast, good looking. Perfect. (And you get to practice in it in iRacing :P)

It looks like someone defecated on the blueprints and is one of the reasons why I'd rather not pay for iRacing.
@ all: In Germany you can get a historic plate if the car is older than 30 years and untuned/stock (neighbor has a Golf Mk1 with it), and tuning and swapping of engines is almost impossible to get street legal and insurable here

hmm, Opel Speedster, Toyota MR-2 (but the boot is a bit small), Audi 80 or 90 Quattro (very reliable), Lexus IS !

ps: just looked up the IS on autoscout24, seems to be really cheap here (people prefer BMW, Audi, Merc I suppose),
Does anyone here know if the MG TF is any good?

Quote from ACCAkut :hmm, Opel Speedster

Over budget unfortunately.

Quote :Toyota MR-2 (but the boot is a bit small)

The old T-Bar one or the newer roadster? Both still my favourites and the only ones so far which manage to tick most boxes.

Quote :Audi 80 or 90 Quattro (very reliable)

Aye but Audis.

Quote :Lexus IS !

ps: just looked up the IS on autoscout24, seems to be really cheap here (people prefer BMW, Audi, Merc I suppose),

As much as I enjoy the idea of driving around pretending to be Alan partridge I'm not really in the market for a saloon.
Quote from Shotglass :Does anyone here know if the MG TF is any good?

Great at blowing head gaskets and generally overheating. Not so good for driving pleasure, as they are podgy and soft. An ex-girlfriend of mine had one until recently (now has a Golf!) and wouldn't consider a second one.

The old Mk2 T-bar MR-2 is a great car (although I hear it bites if you are too over eager), with reliability, style and handling to a certain extent (not a world beater, and never won handling awards).

I've seriously thought about getting one several times, but I've got 'better' things to spend my money on at the moment. No idea how big the boot is though...
Quote from tristancliffe :The old Mk2 T-bar MR-2 is a great car (although I hear it bites if you are too over eager)

Well thats what I'd expect from a mid engine.

Quote :with reliability

The toyota factor?

Quote :handling to a certain extent (not a world beater, and never won handling awards).

Probably not the single best handling car (and a complete mystery how they managed to make a car this small weight 1200kg) but certainly not the worst either.

Quote :I've seriously thought about getting one several times

I know I shouldn't be influenced by this but your approval of a car somehow helps to make it more appealing.

Quote :No idea how big the boot is though...

Not much I'd guess considering how low the hood is:
http://de.wikipedia.org/w/inde ... etimestamp=20050515192725
Maybe you could just put your stuff on the nicely flat engine cover and hope the spoiler keeps it from sliding off onto the road:
http://de.wikipedia.org/w/inde ... etimestamp=20080501125508
Well, having just spent an hour looking at used MR2s around the country I can safely say I still want one. Apparently the late 94 - early 96 model is the one to have. Before that they had less power and a few handling issues, and after than they reduced the power again. Unless you get a Turbo import.

As you say, handling will still be pretty damn good, but I too am bemused how they made it weight 1200kg. But the badge does mean it'll be dependable, even a 10 year old one
Quote from tristancliffe :Unless you get a Turbo import.

RHD remember? We don't really get most of the good japanese ones over here; so apparently the most gutsy version you can get has 170hp.

Quote :I too am bemused how they made it weight 1200kg.

It's not like you could thow the rear seats away to safe weight either.

Best of all it has flip up headlights.
Quote from Shotglass :You mean the double rear spoiler? It's certainly striking and unusual.

I'll put it on the maybes.

I'm not sure what you mean with "double" spoiler, but an original 3dr RS Cosworth looks like this.

Maybe with double spoiler you mean the XR4i one?

Or the RS500 style, with the lower black spoiler.

Quote from Shotglass :i just realized it even has a decent sized boot
http://commons.wikimedia.org/w ... a_mr2_sw20_trunk_rear.jpg

Well if you care about that, an 3dr Sierra has a HUGE boot. I know because I own one.
I remember last summer using the boot to carry an pneumatic compressor and other stuff what was needed with painting & preparing my car.
And we didn't even have to turn over the backseat.

Car buying advice
(109 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG