The online racing simulator
Installed New PSU - No Boot!
(65 posts, started )
#1 - Jakg
Installed a new FSP 700w PSU and now the PC won't boot - the lights on the mobo come on, so it has power, but pressing the power button or shorting the pins does nothing...

My board has an 8-pin connector in the top-left corner - my old PSU had the connector, but my new one doesn't - could this being unplugged be the reason? If so - where do I get one from?
Try your old psu and if it boots with that then your problem is the no 8 pin connector
#3 - garph
Quote from Jakg :Installed a new FSP 700w PSU and now the PC won't boot - the lights on the mobo come on, so it has power, but pressing the power button or shorting the pins does nothing...

My board has an 8-pin connector in the top-left corner - my old PSU had the connector, but my new one doesn't - could this being unplugged be the reason? If so - where do I get one from?

I thought you were clever with computers?

Mine has the 4pin power one and if I don't plug it in it does that....

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/ ... onnector-8pin-motherboard
http://www.computercasesandcables.com/ccc/PC-11610.html

You might be able to get away with the 4pin?
#4 - bbman
Cleared CMOS already? Might work if something shot the settings...
700W?
Quote from Jakg :My board has an 8-pin connector in the top-left corner - my old PSU had the connector, but my new one doesn't - could this being unplugged be the reason?

Isn't that a CPU power connector?

Quote from Jakg :If so - where do I get one from?

You could find something like the adapter in this picture, if this is the connector you are talking about:
http://www.jkcomputersystems.c ... /items/AD-POW-4PM-8PF.jpg

Why don't you just read your motherboard's manual, wouldn't it be able to tell you? RTFM noob
#7 - bbman
#8 - Jakg
Quote from AndroidXP :700W?

What? It was cheap, but it's a very good unit - my current PSU sucks, and this way I have some upgradability in the future..
Quote from bbman :Cleared CMOS already? Might work if something shot the settings...

Can't see it but i'll try as a last resort...
Quote from wheel4hummer :Isn't that a CPU power connector?

You could find something like the adapter in this picture, if this is the connector you are talking about:
http://www.jkcomputersystems.c ... /items/AD-POW-4PM-8PF.jpg

Why don't you just read your motherboard's manual, wouldn't it be able to tell you? RTFM noob

I work at PC World - why do I need a manual? I r t3h 1337!

(or "oh shit didn't realise it would say that in the manual i r t3h nub)

I'm not using SLi or anything, and have no plan too - but at the end of the day for the price I paid for the PSU I'm happy.
you can plug the 4 pin into the 8 pin and it will work fine. and you need it plugged in so it will work.
#10 - Jakg
Ok - Will see if I have a spare 4-pin in a minute.

Did look at work for an adaptor but alas we had nowt.

Thanks for your help...
Quote from Jakg :Installed a new FSP 700w PSU and now the PC won't boot - the lights on the mobo come on, so it has power, but pressing the power button or shorting the pins does nothing...

Oh Dear. This is the same problem I had when I bought an OCZ 500 watt PSU.

This is gonna suck, but as far as I know the only way around it is to buy another PSU with the 8 pin CPU - there is not enough power going to the motherboard to boot up, even with the 24Pin ATX.

This is why my new PC is still not running - I need a PSU with an 8 Pin CPU too.

Edit:// You should have at least a 4 Pin you can plug in, sometimes you get lucky and it will run off that. If that doesn't work - im afraid you need the full 8 Pin.

Edit 2:// 8pin CPU +12V - That is the proper name for the plug you will probably need.
#12 - Jakg
The good news is that I can always just jerry rig my old PSU to "always on" and connect that to the 8-pin bit.

(although i'd really really rather not!)
Quote from Jakg :The good news is that I can always just jerry rig my old PSU to "always on" and connect that to the 8-pin bit.

(although i'd really really rather not!)

Probably not the best idea lol :P

Have you got a link to your PSU so I can see the Specs eg it should list all the connectors?
#14 - Jakg
#16 - arco
Quote from Jakg :My board has an 8-pin connector in the top-left corner - my old PSU had the connector, but my new one doesn't - could this being unplugged be the reason? If so - where do I get one from?

I think that 8-pin connector can be splitted into two 4-pins. A lot of these new PSU have one that can anyway. Just try and wriggle it a little and see if it comes apart.
#17 - Jakg
Quote from mclarenmatt :Cannot really gain a lot from that tbh.

Any chance you could get a pic of all the connectors?

Sorry - no

Arco - other way around
#18 - arco
Ah, sorry misread it.
Make sure it's plugged into the CPU properly. That was the issue when I installed mine.
#20 - Jakg
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Make sure it's plugged into the CPU properly. That was the issue when I installed mine.

Wha?
There's a plug that goes into a socket near the CPU, which powers it. If it's not plugged in it will all come on but nothing will happen.

I thought you were a PC geek, and you say you're a PC expert!
Quote from S14 DRIFT :There's a plug that goes into a socket near the CPU, which powers it. If it's not plugged in it will all come on but nothing will happen.

...it isn't plugged in...that's the whole point of this thread
#23 - Jakg
Thats not called the CPU though, is it!

Thats the very thing were talking about - mine is 8-pin (which the new PSU doesn't have), and I was wondering what I should do - so far it seems like the 4-pin jobbie will have to do...
If you snipped the 4-pin connector off of the old PSU, and joined it onto the wire of the new 4-pin connector (effectively giving you two identical 4-pin connectors running off the same wire), would you be able to plug both in at the same time into the 8-pin? It _should_ give the same power as an actual 8-pin connector, but I'm not sure if they have the same pin shape (some round, some square)
#25 - Jakg
I know you can make an 8-pin connector out of either a 4-pin or a 6-pin as when the ATi 2900's came out they needed an 8-pin for overclocking which a lot of people didn't have - but I can't remember the specifics!

(65 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG