The online racing simulator
Diesel or Petrol
(76 posts, started )
E85 aka Ethanol.
Why?
It's 104 octane !!! More HP and cheaper
Quote from S14 DRIFT :Uhm am I only one who thinks you're pulling our leg? (But yes, Diesel engines do have more torque. It's what they're renowned for.)

W e can get a 150Bhp 1.9 diesel engine in a Vauxhall Vectra... With simular torque

that's like 30 BHp per liter. Typical American engineerring.

Big engine. Big noise. Small movement.

The GM diesel is normally aspirated. The Vauxhall diesel isn't. If you'd take the turbocharger off the Vauxhall engine, you'd get similar results.
Quote from richukss :Maybe he can buy petrol car and put LPG system on it (i think that's the right name), i think it'll be cheaper than a diesel car, by some time , of course, if he wants to drive in cheap way.

Proper LPG fitting is costy and only useful if you drive a lot. My dad drives on LPG, does around 30000 miles in a year.
Quote from hrtburnout :The GM diesel is normally aspirated. The Vauxhall diesel isn't. If you'd take the turbocharger off the Vauxhall engine, you'd get similar results.

Wow, how moronic

Why have such a huge and thirsty engine when it's no more powerful and much less economical than a low capacity boosted motor? >_>
Quote from Electric Eye :Proper LPG fitting is costy and only useful if you drive a lot. My dad drives on LPG, does around 30000 miles in a year.

my dad has LPG G3 too in his jeep, the car does less miles on a gallon with LPG then on petrol and the car generally looses a bit of power (not with newer LPG installations like we have). He also had it in the previous 2 Jeeps.
Quote from G!NhO :my dad has LPG G3 too in his jeep, the car does less miles on a gallon with LPG then on petrol and the car generally looses a bit of power (not with newer LPG installations like we have). He also had it in the previous 2 Jeeps.

Same story. But LPG is half the price of petrol
Something I once heard I think applies to this...

"Driving a diesel is like being homosexual. Its more accepted than it used to be, but it's still fcuking wrong."

So, I agree with Tristan:

Petrol, petrol, petrol.
haha thats true ^^
No, that's just plain retarded
Quote from obsolum :No, that's just plain retarded

Agreed... I don't see why some people would hate diesels.
Quote from Electric Eye :Agreed... I don't see why some people would hate diesels.

For the same reason that Porsche does not make a diesel: "They are very fast, but they do not transmit the driving pleasure and excitement which a petrol engine does" - by a Porsche chief.

Hey, look at the R8 TDI dashboard. 4,5k rpm? Is that a sports car? :ices_rofl

Diesels are for people who don´t enjoy driving, who don´t like cars and they drive because they haven´t got any other way to go to the job IMO
Quote from NitroNitrous :Diesels are for people who don´t enjoy driving, who don´t like cars and they drive because they haven´t got any other way to go to the job IMO

I understand that that is your personal opinion, but it is complete and utter bullcrap That's seriously the most nonsense post in this thread so far
Quote from obsolum :I understand that that is your personal opinion, but it is complete and utter bullcrap That's seriously the most nonsense post in this thread so far

Could you explain why? My opinion is exchangeable if you tell me good reasons
There is a difference between driving for fun and commuting everyday and doing long milages.
Quote from NitroNitrous :Could you explain why? My opinion is exchangeable if you tell me good reasons

No, you shouldn't change your opinion. Because it's just that, your personal opinion. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. You don't like diesel cars, fine. But saying that diesel cars are for people who don't enjoy driving is bullshit. It's not based on anything except your preference for petrol cars.

My point is, you can't argue about which of the two is more pleasant to drive because that is solely and entirely down to personal preference.

You can argue about which of the two is more economic to drive in certain circumstances, because you can back arguments with facts and calculations (purchase price, fuel/diesel price, mileage etc...).

I also have a strong suspicion that many of the people who are so fervently "dissing" diesel cars have never even driven a decent and recent diesel car for more than 10 minutes.
I've driven modern (2007 and before) diesels, and I despise them. Horrid things. Plus I prefer petrols' dynamics, cleanliness and noise. My heart says petrol, but so does my brain.

I can't actually think of a reason to buy a diesel if you do less than 30k miles per year.
diesels suck because they sound like crap
Quote from tristancliffe :I've driven modern (2007 and before) diesels, and I despise them. Horrid things. Plus I prefer petrols' dynamics, cleanliness and noise. My heart says petrol, but so does my brain.

I can't actually think of a reason to buy a diesel if you do less than 30k miles per year.

diesels are fine IMO though they can be powerful for a commuter and if you drive a lot of miles you can make up for the higher maint. costs. IIRC the latest break even point is around 15k miles for a mint diesel burning the fuel well, goodluck finding one of those =)
dieselengines lasts longer, but they sound like a truck. petrol for a racerish/ricerish car
Quote from G!NhO :diesels suck because they sound like crap

They dont all sound like crap. The BMW diesels are pretty quiet, my Dads 525TDS is pretty quiet compared to most diesels, when accelerating you cant really tell it's a diesel from the sound.
Quote from sam93 :They dont all sound like crap. The BMW diesels are pretty quiet, my Dads 525TDS is pretty quiet compared to most diesels, when accelerating you cant really tell it's a diesel from the sound.

because they are quiet they sound like crap
Quote from G!NhO :because they are quiet they sound like crap

It isnt quiet when it accelerates. Some people prefer diesels, my dad swears by them, he will get a petrol if he likes the car though, he would sell it after a couple of months though.
my uncle has a turbo diesel Alfa romeo 166 (dont know what engine ), but its quite fast and sounds stupid.
Diesels are getting quicker and quicker in my opinion.

Diesel or Petrol
(76 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG