The online racing simulator
Windows Media Center - Vista
(23 posts, started )
#1 - sam93
As my ariel lead still needs to be sorted out so it runs straight from the ariel not off of a splitter I don't seem to get ITV when it's not clear outside, when the weather was fine yesterday ITV worked perfectly with no stuttering etc... but today it isn't working, is there a way I could stream the Singapore GP on Windows Media Center, I want to record the race but as I am not getting enough signal to watch ITV I wont be able to record the race, I wont be watching the race on my computer just recording it, so is there a way I can stream the GP on Windows Media Center?
#2 - sam93
Anyone???
#3 - CSU1
jesus H sam..a bit restless this beautiful Sunday morning I see.

I'm sure someone will be along soo.

I'll get ya started:

What format do you intend to record too?
#4 - sam93
Quote from CSU1 :jesus H sam..a bit restless this beautiful Sunday morning I see.

I'm sure someone will be along soo.

I'll get ya started:

What format do you intend to record too?

Well the F1 program is starting in a few mins so yes a little restless. I am just wanting to use the record feature in Windows Media Center, so whatever format it records in, just want to record it, I will do converting if needs be later, I just want to record the race, everything else will be done later.
#6 - sam93
Pitty, my Dad was suppose to run a new lead from the ariel last night for me, as it is split off of another lead/cable at the moment and that is why I am losing signal because the TV it is split off can display ITV perfectly, it is all going Digital soon so I shouldn't have a problem with signal issues. I am watching it downstairs on the TV but just wanted to record it on the computer so I can rewatch it later tonight
#7 - ajp71
Quote from sam93 :Well the F1 program is starting in a few mins so yes a little restless. I am just wanting to use the record feature in Windows Media Center, so whatever format it records in, just want to record it, I will do converting if needs be later, I just want to record the race, everything else will be done later.

The race doesn't start until 1pm, I haven't even left for the pub yet! If you're watching it through a digital box try watching it on terrestrial, you should get a picture even if it isn't very good.
#8 - sam93
Quote from ajp71 :The race doesn't start until 1pm, I haven't even left for the pub yet! If you're watching it through a digital box try watching it on terrestrial, you should get a picture even if it isn't very good.

I am watching the F1 downstairs on Virgin, picture obviously perfect, I am on about my Computer as it has a TV Tuner card in it, I just wanted to record the race, not watch it on my Computer as I am watching it in the living room.
Just d/l it later...there will be about 30 different versions up an hour after the finish!

Spoiler - click to reveal Massa didnt win!
Quote :Just d/l it later...there will be about 30 different versions up an hour after the finish!

Spoiler - click to reveal Massa didnt win!

I know Massa didn't win, I watched the race from start to finish, I was going to record the race on my computer whilst I watched the race downstairs. I haven't said once that I cant watch the race because my PC cant get good enough signal did I, I just asked is it possible to stream the live feed through Windows Media Center. Two of you have seemed to think that I couldn't watch it when I could, I just was going to record the race on the computer whilst I watch the race downstairs, we have no trouble with signals downstairs as we have Virgin TV.

It was a very eventful race though, I just had to laugh when they messed Massa's pit stop up. Also I think Kimi doesn't like to finish race's in Spa and this GP (Singapore) he has crashed out with a few laps left.
If your signal is bad, why not get a booster? We have about 5 of them due to the amount of TVs linked up in our house Or if your picture is so good on the TV downstairs, why not run a coax up to the PC from there? Or move the PC down just to record the race (then sort the new cabling afterwards)?

Or even better again, just download the race afterwards. You can download full HD broadcasts if you know where to look, and they'll be far better quality than recording with a tuner card
Quote from dougie-lampkin :If your signal is bad, why not get a booster? We have about 5 of them due to the amount of TVs linked up in our house Or if your picture is so good on the TV downstairs, why not run a coax up to the PC from there? Or move the PC down just to record the race (then sort the new cabling afterwards)?

Or even better again, just download the race afterwards. You can download full HD broadcasts if you know where to look, and they'll be far better quality than recording with a tuner card

Well my TV tuner doesnt have an option for a coax cable, you can put the normal ariel connector into the TV Tuner but not a Coax Cable. The picture is obviously going to be perfect anyway as it is cable (Virgin Media) so it doesn't run off of a ariel, I am not to fussed about watching it anyway because I watch it live, I just had a thought of recording it for my Dad to watch as he was out and the highlights only cover parts of the race.

Boosters can be rubbish for freeview, my Dad is going to put a new lead on he ariel during the week so I have one lead going from the ariel to my PC.

Doesn't matter now anyway, it would of been nice to record as it was a very eventful race. We may get the new Virgin box that has the hard drive built in as we just have the standard one at the moment.

Also cant be bothered to download the race for the sack of my Dad lol, I have watched the race, cant wait for the BBC to take over broadcasting f1 though as ITV's adverts do my head in as you miss about 3mins of the race on each break, F1 should always be on BBC because as it's live and BBC dont have breaks during programs so you wont miss laps or anything else that happens during the race.
Quote from sam93 :Well my TV tuner doesnt have an option for a coax cable, you can put the normal ariel connector into the TV Tuner but not a Coax Cable. The picture is obviously going to be perfect anyway as it is cable (Virgin Media) so it doesn't run off of a ariel, I am not to fussed about watching it anyway because I watch it live, I just had a thought of recording it for my Dad to watch as he was out and the highlights only cover parts of the race.

Boosters can be rubbish for freeview, my Dad is going to put a new lead on he ariel during the week so I have one lead going from the ariel to my PC.

Doesn't matter now anyway, it would of been nice to record as it was a very eventful race. We may get the new Virgin box that has the hard drive built in as we just have the standard one at the moment.

Also cant be bothered to download the race for the sack of my Dad lol, I have watched the race, cant wait for the BBC to take over broadcasting f1 though as ITV's adverts do my head in as you miss about 3mins of the race on each break, F1 should always be on BBC because as it's live and BBC dont have breaks during programs so you wont miss laps or anything else that happens during the race.

I NEVER suggested that your PC wasnt up to watching it, I suggested you download it which would then give you a GOOD copy to watch at your leisure. The "Spoiler" was a pi$$take....and by the way, just to show I know absolutely bugger-all about watching TV on my puter and TV cards and stuff...I wish to point out that a "normal aerial cable" (note the spelling! 'Ariel' is a tart with fish-smelly legs from a Disney film!) IS "coax": that is an abbreviation of Co-Axial Cable...which means that you have one core running through the centre of the other core, with insulation in between...you know, very, VERY similar to an aerial cable!
Quote from Bladerunner :I NEVER suggested that your PC wasnt up to watching it, I suggested you download it which would then give you a GOOD copy to watch at your leisure. The "Spoiler" was a pi$$take....and by the way, just to show I know absolutely bugger-all about watching TV on my puter and TV cards and stuff...I wish to point out that a "normal aerial cable" (note the spelling! 'Ariel' is a tart with fish-smelly legs from a Disney film!) IS "coax": that is an abbreviation of Co-Axial Cable...which means that you have one core running through the centre of the other core, with insulation in between...you know, very, VERY similar to an aerial cable!

Yes I couldn't remember the proper spelling. I know the difference between a Aerial and a Coax cable, Virgin uses Coax cables. A Aerial lead has the one wire(core) running through it with other little copper wires going around it and a coax cable just has the one copper wire(core) running through it.
Also, I didn't say that you said my PC wasn't up to it did i? I was just saying that everyone seemed to be saying that I wasnt able to watch it etc... When I tried to I was watching it on cable anyway, was just wanting to record the race, this is how it came across to me as one person posted a link to the live stream when I said that I am watching it live downstairs anyway, not in my op though. I must not of explained it properly.
Quote from sam93 :Yes I couldn't remember the proper spelling. I know the difference between a Aerial and a Coax cable, Virgin uses Coax cables. A Aerial lead has the one wire(core) running through it with other little copper wires going around it and a coax cable just has the one copper wire(core) running through it.
Also, I didn't say that you said my PC wasn't up to it did i? I was just saying that everyone seemed to be saying that I wasnt able to watch it etc... When I tried to I was watching it on cable anyway, was just wanting to record the race, this is how it came across to me as one person posted a link to the live stream when I said that I am watching it live downstairs anyway, not in my op though. I must not of explained it properly.

Coaxial Cable...
Aerial cable IS coaxial cable, they are one and the same thing. There are lots of different types of coaxial, such as RG6 and CT100, but they all have two conductive cores in them. I honestly don't know how you could get a decent picture with a single core tbh, the outer core (Braiding) needs to be suitably grounded to keep the inner core protected from interference.
I'd love to see a cross section of what you regard as a "normal aerial cable", do you have any examples?
If you are having problems differentiating between different cables, try one of THESE Hi-Tech Aerials!:
I ment on the Aerial cable it doesn't seem to be as good as the coax cables that are used on Virgin boxes, they seem to be stronger and the core seems to be more thicker to the ones in aerial leads, the plugs also are different, the one of a normal aerial obviously justs plugs in but the ones on the virgin box needs to be screwed onto the box, not with a screw obviously, dont know how to describe it.

Don't matter about it now anyway because my dad will be going up to the aerial and running a seperate lead from it down into my room.
#20 - Jakg
That's not a Co-Ax, that's something else...
Maybe it's just better insulation than the standard (and crap) coax? And coax has a whole host of possible connectors, Virgin are probably using a lesser known one to make sure you buy it off of them
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Virgin are probably using a lesser known one to make sure you buy it off of them

Maplins sell loads of the connectors Virgin use.

(23 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG