The online racing simulator
Is this computer good for LFS
(17 posts, started )
Looks like overkill for LFS, but for sure, that PC will make mincemeat of LFS, and better looking games to boot!
Take that as a yes there good then?
Everything except the video card is plenty good...The Intel GMA X3000 will be nothing but a big disappointment and really bottleneck the system in games (even in LFS)...You could get a $100 video card for that system and easily quadruple the video card 'performance'...

Is system good: Yes
Is video card good: No
Is fixing the video card issue a big deal: No (as long as it has a PCI Express slot)
Yeah as said earlier just get a decent card like a 8600GT or higher and your system will kick arses.
Meh it looked okay when I put that card into Wiki. But hey, I've never owned an Intel GPU before so what do I know?
I once played S2 (The very first version) on an 800Mhz AMD Duron, 256Mb Ram (240 active) with a 16Mb ON-BOARD graphics card.

Results were lolagely bad.
Both have apallingly bad graphics cards. You'd want at least a 8800GT or a Radeon 4850 for modern gaming.

Also the first one has 3GB of RAM. Unless this is fitted as two 1GB modules and two 512MB modules it'll mess up dual-channel mode and halve the speed of your RAM. You could ask them, but as it's PC World, don't expect anyone to actually know the answer.
#9 - Jakg
Oi!

It's possible for the 2GB to be in dual-channel and the 1GB to not be, ya know!

And not all PC World employees are incompetent(although most are...)

EDIT - If your buying from PC World - Packard Bell iMax 3414, £369.99, Q6600/2GB/8400GS/250GB, add in a screen and jobs done.
This is the last time I post in a thread about computers where I'm not asking the question!
Thanks everyone .

Quote from Jakg :Oi!

EDIT - If your buying from PC World - Packard Bell iMax 3414, £369.99, Q6600/2GB/8400GS/250GB, add in a screen and jobs done.

#

Have you got a link for that met

If i buy that then all i need is a big wide screen? Nice
#12 - MR_B
**Please note!**

I used to work for Currys (who's parent company is DSGi, who also own PC World), well being a sister company we get the same products, and can check each others stock levels.

Anyway, whilst working I saw an alarming amount of Dell equipment returned to us with many problems.
Their build quality has dropped very badly of late, I don't know whether they're trying to cut corners, but it's causing problems.

(The same goes for Samsung, but that for another thread/time )

Also Packard Bell has packaging problems, forgetting to put things in the box. But atleast they're not coming back with blown components.
Quote from MR_B :**Please note!**

I used to work for Currys (who's parent company is DSGi, who also own PC World), well being a sister company we get the same products, and can check each others stock levels.

Anyway, whilst working I saw an alarming amount of Dell equipment returned to us with many problems.
Their build quality has dropped very badly of late, I don't know whether they're trying to cut corners, but it's causing problems.

(The same goes for Samsung, but that for another thread/time )

Also Packard Bell has packaging problems, forgetting to put things in the box. But atleast they're not coming back with blown components.

So you suggest Packard Bell
Quote from Jakg :Oi!

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/791740

Will any screen work with it?
Graphics card is still pretty terrible. Can you customise the system at all before you buy it?
#16 - Jakg
Yeah any screen will be fine.

I don't recommend that PC at all, i.e. i'd never buy a "gaming PC" from PC World, but working there I know the best thing for gaming under £500 is either that or the Advent with an 8500GT in it.
Right well if you don't suggest that one, then can you send me some links of one you do suggest?

Thanks

(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG