The online racing simulator
Cliffe crashes out of the lead
Here you go folks, some details of my noobish error at the weekend!

Cadwell Park. 6th September 2008.

Wet practice - qualified on pole by 1.4 seconds.

Race - At the start I sped off into the lead, and after 6 laps it was around 25 seconds. But it was by now raining very heavily, and visibility on my own was bad enough. Backmarkers were throwing up even more spray, so I just couldn't see without going offline. Despite being about 20 seconds per lap slower than me (and me going at his speed because I was stuck behind him) I aquaplaned off on a river running down the circuit and hit the tyre wall.

The datalogger says it was 3.01g on impact, with a jerk of 24.5g/s (if that means anything to you), which is a new record for me!

Fortunately, my main championship rival only finished 6th in class, and his 7 points weren't enough for him to stay in contention in the championship. So I am now 2008 Monoposto Classic 2000 Champion! Woot!

The downside is that the damage was too great to repair in time for Sunday, so instead I acted as general helper - pushing people to the assembly area, and making sure they had their slave batteries plugged in if needed. But it was depressing to be on the static side of the pitwall

Onboard video of the race here - http://vimeo.com/1698622

Official results of the weekend here = http://www.reynard883.com/results/08cadwell.pdf

Stills from the onboard footage:

Photos of the remains...

You Noob, even my gloves couldn't help you!
I hope you have been stockpiling spare parts?
Nope.

New lower element ~ £400
New end plates ~£200 each (with carbon fibre - cheaper than the alumimium honeycomb versions we had, but about 10 times as strong)
New exhaust section (it was kinked) £50
Diffuser repair ~£150
Various things, like connectors for rain light, and bolts etc £30

But we'll be out at Snetterton in 5 weeks time, I can assure you of that!
Bad luck! Nice onboard vid. Tristan.
#6 - ajp71
Quote from tristancliffe :Nope.

New lower element ~ £400
New end plates ~£200 each (with carbon fibre - cheaper than the alumimium honeycomb versions we had, but about 10 times as strong)
New exhaust section (it was kinked) £50
Diffuser repair ~£150
Various things, like connectors for rain light, and bolts etc £30

But we'll be out at Snetterton in 5 weeks time, I can assure you of that!

Sorry to hear that. Looks like you got away very lightly, especially for an off at Cadwell. Was it just the wings that were damaged? If so you should have hacked them off and run it without them
The rear track control arm is a bit bent, but it'll probably straighten. It was too hard to check the car over properly in the muddy Cadwell paddock, so rather than risk driving a car without wings that is designed for them (stiff suspension etc) we opted to play it safe. I'd already won the championship, so there was little point in risking it...
Pff, what kind of pansy are you to let reason and logic dictate your actions...
Quote from tristancliffe :Race - At the start I sped off into the lead, and after 6 laps it was around 25 seconds. But it was by now raining very heavily, and visibility on my own was bad enough. Backmarkers were throwing up even more spray, so I just couldn't see without going offline. Despite being about 20 seconds per lap slower than me (and me going at his speed because I was stuck behind him) I aquaplaned off on a river running down the circuit and hit the tyre wall.

:hihi::banghead: :haha:

Quote from tristancliffe : The datalogger says it was 3.01g on impact, with a jerk of 24.5g/s (if that means anything to you), which is a new record for me!

That sounds like a lot of G's but didn't look like such a big hit on the vid. And to be honest it's not easy to see what caused the spin ? Lose it on braking ? Guess the main thing is you weren't hurt

Quote from tristancliffe : Fortunately, my main championship rival only finished 6th in class, and his 7 points weren't enough for him to stay in contention in the championship. So I am now 2008 Monoposto Classic 2000 Champion! Woot!

:static: :trophy_si :throwrose:trophy_si :static: Bravo, genuinely pleased for ya.

I'll admit i've kinda lost track of where you are with this thing, but isn't this only your second season in motorsport ? Not bad, not bad at all. Got to say i was really impressed with your car control in that vid. Nasty weather conditions on a track that takes no prisoners and you managed to keep it on the island....oh no, that's not right is it

Quote from tristancliffe : The downside is that the damage was too great to repair in time for Sunday, so instead I acted as general helper - pushing people to the assembly area, and making sure they had their slave batteries plugged in if needed. But it was depressing to be on the static side of the pitwall

Now you know how the rest of us feel when we hear what you've been up to in your racing car. Sucks, dunnit...

We're not jealous at all, not in the slightest
Quote from Mazz4200 :That sounds like a lot of G's but didn't look like such a big hit on the vid. And to be honest it's not easy to see what caused the spin ? Lose it on braking ? Guess the main thing is you weren't hurt

It justs quantifies how little g meanings are in accidents really. People have been killed with lower g's!!!!

Yeah, as I touched the brakes, the load came of the rear tyres and their ability to clear standing water was massively reduced, so it aquaplaned. Had I been on the 'racing line' I'd have been okay (I think), but I moved over so that a) I could see ahead b) the driver in front might be able to see me and c) so that I might be able to outbrake him and pass him into the corner. I was in no real rush to pass, and my speed at that point was a lot lower than on previous laps. Silly mistake really, but I do believe I'm in good company with drivers like Senna
Quote from Mazz4200 :I'll admit i've kinda lost track of where you are with this thing, but isn't this only your second season in motorsport ? Not bad, not bad at all. Got to say i was really impressed with your car control in that vid. Nasty weather conditions on a track that takes no prisoners and you managed to keep it on the island....oh no, that's not right is it

Yup, second year, and my first full year. Obviously we did seem to have a bit of a car advantage, especially at the beginning of the year, but still... Next year will be a lot harder, as there are some established drivers in similar cars who already know how to drive their steeds.
Quote from Mazz4200 :Now you know how the rest of us feel when we hear what you've been up to in your racing car. Sucks, dunnit...

Yes. It sucks.
It's obvious really.

Someone somewhere was calling your performance Senna-esque, and that you were the new rain-meister. We all know what happens when people say things like that.
#12 - 5haz
Tut tut Tristian, your not catching Lewis Crashamilton syndrome are you?

Just joking, congratualtions on winning your Monoposto class!

Sorry to hear about the car, looks like someone has some cleaning to do!

I had a similarly bad weekend at Mallory, retired out of a comfortable 4th place by missing a gear, loosing it and driving through about 1 foot of water, spinning it on the grass and then stalling it, which was bad seeing as the starter motor solenoid was knackered and jammed on, draining the battery and meaning I couldn't start the car again, probrably a blessing seeing as if I had carried on not knowing this the motor porbrably would have overheated and burst into flames (obviously theyre not designed to run at 5000rpm!).

Also in Saturday practise we didn't secure the bonnet down properly, so It took off and did a rather graceful pirhouet and landed upside down in the middle of Gerards, causing the session to be embarrasingly cut short and also meaning that the bonnet now has some cooling holes burnt into the tops of the wheelarches!.

Quote from Bean0 :It's obvious really.

Someone somewhere was calling your performance Senna-esque, and that you were the new rain-meister. We all know what happens when people say things like that.

The dreaded curse of the comentator!
#13 - aoun
Very VERY nice driving mate!
Nice one Tristan on winning the championship, I'm not sure i'd like to race in those awfull conditions though.
Damn it I really want to race! I've been down at Knockhill watching the SMRC races (Legends, XR2's, Mini coopers, Saloons and Formula Ford 1600's) and looking into it a bit with regards car, equipment cost, ARDS etc. I'm going to the meet this weekend for some more info. Also there is a chap I bumped into in iRacing who's racing the Legends this weekend so I'm going to hastle him in the paddock .
I wonder how I would go about telling my darling wife that I'm swapping her car for a racecar and that all her future holiday and clothes funds will be spent on tyres muhaha!
Quote from tristancliffe :The rear track control arm is a bit bent, but it'll probably straighten. It was too hard to check the car over properly in the muddy Cadwell paddock, so rather than risk driving a car without wings that is designed for them (stiff suspension etc) we opted to play it safe. I'd already won the championship, so there was little point in risking it...

Yeh we were shuved on the fields last week, trying to drive a car through there let alone a race car was bloody hard work trying not to get stuck
You suck

(Seriously though.. ouch. Glad you're ok :nod
nice one on your championship win!

glad you didnt suffer any injurys, the vid was very good to watch.

im guessing that as good as it is, "racing" on LFS must be a litle bit of a comedown after the real thing!

good luck on next season as defending champion.
Quote from tristancliffe :The datalogger says it was 3.01g on impact, with a jerk of 24.5g/s (if that means anything to you), which is a new record for me!

I don't think that's a big enough jerk to be a record for you.
Quote from mr grady :good luck on next season as defending champion.

Racing in a different class next year, so won't be able to defend it! I will, however, be after a new one!

@Kev: Quiet in the cheap seats.
Quote from tristancliffe :Racing in a different class next year, so won't be able to defend it! I will, however, be after a new one!

@Kev: Quiet in the cheap seats.

What are you racing in next season? I could suggest Power Boats
Omg !!!
It took until Post 12 for somebody to congratulate you Tristan

Crash or no crash ( glad your OK ) bloody well done m8 on your Championship title win in only your first full season and only your 2nd season driving.

Snetty in 5 wks time, might to come and see you again

Well Done Tristan

Fordman
-
Omg !!! (Fordman) DELETED by Fordman
would you mind if we call you felipe from now on?
awesome, what kind of cars are these?
Wow, the rain really got worse near the end there! Talk about zero visibility coming up to those backmarkers... Nice job in the race, and great onboard footage, unlucky with the accident...
Quote from G!NhO :awesome, what kind of cars are these?

Old F3 ones. I think its a '88 Reynard?

Cliffe crashes out of the lead
(324 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG