Few questions about shifting
Hi,

Whats better Sequantial or Shifter ?
Whats the difference ?

And how can i learn shift ?

For fast accelerate, how shifting ?

For Top Speed, how shifting ?

For the car FBM
in the fbm is only the sequential shifter possible.
just step of the gas while shifting.
The fastest (and most realistically inaccurate) way is to hold in the button to shift up, and then lay off throttle to about half way, then back down. It's a bit quicker than waiting to press the button after laying off the throttle
Regarding the bit about when/how to shift for fastest acceleration and fastest top speed - you shift at the same point, a few hundred RPM after peak power in each gear (or, if you prefer, when the wheel torque curves (or tractive effort curves) cross when plotted as torque versus speed)
Quote from dougie-lampkin :The fastest (and most realistically inaccurate) way ...

that's not realistically inaccurate at all. I get the FBM gearbox works like a motorbike gearbox - and shifting this way is fastest and smoothest... IRL I use the clutch, to be honest, as most of the time the shifts simply do not have to be as fast as possible but rather on the safe side (gearbox health-wise).
when the FBM came up there was a thread about it, where some people pointed out why you shift the FBM this way, resp. how it relates to shifting this kind of gearbox in real life.

@tristan: "the same point in each gear"? wouldn't the ideal shiftpoint vary depending on the gear-ratios (steps are not equal from gear to gear) unless the engine runs into the limiter / dark red area just at or slightly after peak power?

the right time for shifting in LFS is when the shift-light tells you to do so... because it "knows" about the bang on your wheels... and it moves with gear-ratios... and it reveals the not-so-accurate characteristics of the "road cars" engines.
Quote from dougie-lampkin :The fastest (and most realistically inaccurate) way is to hold in the button to shift up, and then lay off throttle to about half way, then back down. It's a bit quicker than waiting to press the button after laying off the throttle

Yea same Only for FBM though. Just be as smooth as possible that will be the fastest way. Take off throttle as little as possible so you can get full throttle as quick as possible.
Quote from Bandit77 :@tristan: "the same point in each gear"? wouldn't the ideal shiftpoint vary depending on the gear-ratios (steps are not equal from gear to gear) unless the engine runs into the limiter / dark red area just at or slightly after peak power?

Yes, but let's keep it simple for now. Optimum shift points generally only vary by a couple of hundred RPM, so as the OP just wants basic info about when to shift we can ignore that bit. When he's within 0.2 of the WRs he can worry about it some more
Quote from Bandit77 :that's not realistically inaccurate at all. I get the FBM gearbox works like a motorbike gearbox - and shifting this way is fastest and smoothest... IRL I use the clutch, to be honest, as most of the time the shifts simply do not have to be as fast as possible but rather on the safe side (gearbox health-wise).
when the FBM came up there was a thread about it, where some people pointed out why you shift the FBM this way, resp. how it relates to shifting this kind of gearbox in real life.

No, what I meant was it wouldn't be possible to hold the paddle in, and it not shift until you lift off, unless it was an electronic selector (if there's even such a thing :shrug or something snapped. It is possible to shift clutchless (I know, I have a bike too. And it takes several minutes for the clutch to warm up to the point of actually wanting to move, so for that time I'm driving clutchless. Heh, it's the complete original from when it was made in ~'92 ), but I can't see how it's realistic to be able to hold in the paddle without something happening It's the same thing with the MRT.
I think what Bandit meant was that pulling the lever in LFS is like applying pressure to the lever in real life - when you lift slightly it slots into the next gear. Works on motorbikes and racecar gearboxes. In LFS there is no feedback as the wheel isn't mechanically connected to the gearbox, so it seems a bit odd.
that was EXACTLY what I meant.
The FBM has a shifter in the cockpit, does it also have paddle shifters on the wheel?

As for clutch less shifting without some sort of ignition cut you wouldn't be able to pull the transmission out of gear if there is still load. I assume that the FBM does not have ignition cut, or electronic shifting, otherwise you wouldn't have to lift throttle to unload the transmission.
Quote from legoflamb :The FBM has a shifter in the cockpit, does it also have paddle shifters on the wheel?

Nope, only the sequential shifter.
Well the default script for the FBM is /run paddle. So that's what I'm going off of, as that switches gear control to my wheel's paddles. Whereas the GTRs (and the other single seaters, but I can't remember what's the default on them) switch gear control to my shifter unit.

What I'm saying is if you try and shift under load, you get grinding gears. It doesn't wait for you to lift before trying to change gear. So it's surely not realistic to be able to hold in the paddle in LFS, and for it to then change when you lift off. I know paddles don't have FFB, but maybe it could knock it out of gear or something if you try and shift under load? It seems a lot more realistic than being able to hold in the paddle until you lift

I'm not saying that it should be able to shift under load, I'm saying you shouldn't be able to hold in the paddle until you lift.
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Well the default script for the FBM is /run paddle. So that's what I'm going off of, as that switches gear control to my wheel's paddles. Whereas the GTRs (and the other single seaters, but I can't remember what's the default on them) switch gear control to my shifter unit.

Really? I was under the impression the FBM runs //sequential, at least mine does... Wasn't there a version with a wrong script out for a couple of hours though?
That could've been my one. I know I haven't changed it, and it runs paddles for me
I would think there would be a gear protection system in the shifting program on an vehicle with electronic shift. Also my question about the paddles on the FBM was rhetorical.

Few questions about shifting
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG