The online racing simulator
Freeze up during races
(4 posts, started )
Freeze up during races
I've been racing LFS casually for several years. An ongoing problem is freezing the computer during races. I have a GeForce 7600 GT graphics card with 256 MB and a 2.4 GHz Intel CPU with 1 GB RAM. Frame rate is good (45-60 with 6 cars) and everything is fine for several minutes. Then the action jerks a few times, and eventually the computer freezes solid (off switch time) with scrambled video and the last sound repeating over and over. I've loaded the most recent video and audio drivers and BIOS. It has also happened with an RC car racing game. Any ideas?
Sounds very much like overheating to me. Check your temperatures with something like everest. Might be the gfx card, might be the cpu or might be your ram, can't really tell the ram temp though.
Quote from CasseBent :Sounds very much like overheating to me. Check your temperatures with something like everest. Might be the gfx card, might be the cpu or might be your ram, can't really tell the ram temp though.

(per my last post in the beginner's section, I am not restating the same answer, only confirming my experience, hehehe)

I would go with overheating as well. I have just started having this problem myself with the same symptoms. I recently put a new network card in as the one on the motherboard was hit with a lightning strike. Never put any thought towards it, but I installed the card directly under my graphics card. I overheated the card first time using a game (was GTA:SA, not LFS). After figuring it out as GFX card overheated, I pulled the network card and managed to wiggle it in another slot further away. Now every time I race or use another graphic intensive game (which is all of them), my graphics card overheats. I ended up needing to installing a spare fan I had laying around and blowing air across the card.

My symptoms were identical to yours, game studdered and suddenly locked the computer up. I don't have the issue now with the fan blowing acrosss the GFX card, though it isn't the best installation as the fan is just sitting free in the case next to the GFX card.
Freeze up
Thanks. I noticed that the computer seems awfully quiet. I'll check the fans right away.

Freeze up during races
(4 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG