The online racing simulator
Lets Rice Ma Car, y0!
(682 posts, started )
Quote from wheel4hummer :Is that 1500watts RMS or peak? Also, what kind of enclosure are they in? What is the sensitivity? Just wondering.

Dont know all of the specs of them, just know each one is 1500watts each cant remember if its peak or not, they are in a box he made for them, didnt come in an enclosure, I will try and get a video of them on one day.
On topic: Seriously, just keep it as a clean standard car. If you feel the need to do stuff, get into detailing. I would much rather look at a nice standard, "mint" Proton Wira than one that's got Halfords Value (sorry, I mean Ripspeed) wheels on it and stupid blinding HID bulbs.

Btw: Changing the head unit for a decent CD player is fine imo, as is changing the speakers as long as the speakers are behind the standard grilles and the head unit is tasteful.
WOW, Astra vans rule! How tasteful

Quote from sam93 :just know each one is 1500watts each cant remember if its peak or not

The wattage means nothing in terms of how loud the speaker is, anyway. The wattage of a speaker is just how much power it can handle.

Quote from sam93 :they are in a box he made for them, didnt come in an enclosure

I hope the enclosure is a really efficient design, otherwise you may have wasted your money by getting such high power handling speakers.
Quote from wheel4hummer :The wattage means nothing in terms of how loud the speaker is, anyway. The wattage of a speaker is just how much power it can handle.

I hope the enclosure is a really efficient design, otherwise you may have wasted your money by getting such high power handling speakers.

He used the same thickness of wood when he just had 2 subs in the van and then he just made a new one out of the same type/thickness of wood and it is fine. Well as far as the loudness of them go, when I was in the van he shut the doors windows etc... set it to full and I couldnt here the person talking next to me, they are to loud really, the only other 2 things I know about them are, they are 90db each and are 15" subs, Sony Xplods.

The box is a little like this.(quickly done on Paint)
The subs sound very good in the box, they didn't come in a enclosure to start with, was just the sub, he had to put them into an enclosure himself.
Attached images
Sub.JPG
Quote :I hope the enclosure is a really efficient design, otherwise you may have wasted your money by getting such high power handling speakers.

True. At the risk of sounding knowledgeable about this stuff, when I worked at the local speaker factory they put a great deal of care into the initial design to ensure it had the best possible accoustics. It might look like just a wooden box, but the size and position of the internal shelf and everything is all calculated to balance in harmony with the driver unit.
...back on topic.

I know NOTHING about car stereo systems. Nothing at all.

Below is a pic of the standard stereo - as you can see, it's shit.

I do have an MP3 Player (20GB Zen Sleek) which would be nice to plug in, and I have a phone full of music (Sony w960i 8GB) which i'm more likely to have on me (as i plan on getting rid of the Zen). It'd be nice to listen to music from my Phone (/ MP3 player) through the car. Any cheap way of doing this?

EDIT - Note to self, attach pics before posting. To make up for, a pic of the factory spoiler on the fwd car is included.

Yes I know the fake wood trim sucks but theres nothing I can do...
Attached images
100_3778.jpg
100_3780.jpg
Quote from sam93 :they are 90db each and are 15" subs, Sony Xplods.

You probably did overpay for those. 90dB sensitivity is decent for car audio, speakers, but there are live sound speakers with 100dB+ sensitivity. If those speaker you were talking about are 1500W RMS, then 1 meter at full power is a SPL of 122dB. I found a $60USD, 400W RMS speaker on an online store, and it has 100dB sensitivity. At full power, at 1 meter, it outputs an SPL of 126dB. That's over twice as loud as the 1500W RMS speaker, yet less the one third of the wattage!

SPL calculator: http://www.doctorproaudio.com/doctor/calculadores_en.htm
Quote from wheel4hummer :You probably did overpay for those. 90dB sensitivity is decent for car audio, speakers, but there are live sound speakers with 100dB+ sensitivity. If those speaker you were talking about are 1500W RMS, then 1 meter at full power is a SPL of 122dB. I found a $60USD, 400W RMS speaker on an online store, and it has 100dB sensitivity. At full power, at 1 meter, it outputs an SPL of 126dB. That's over twice as loud as the 1500W RMS speaker, yet less the one third of the wattage!

SPL calculator: http://www.doctorproaudio.com/doctor/calculadores_en.htm

He wont pay for subs what arent worth it, he wont overpay for anything lol.

I know there are subs with over 100+ DB, one of them being the jackhammer but at a price of 10k is stupid.
Quote from sam93 :these wheels havent been kurbed/skuffed or scratched

That's an, erm, interesting site. I found this on it.

What a ****ing twat.

And who does the guy behind think he is? Carlos ****ing Sainz?
Quote from STROBE :That's an, erm, interesting site. I found this on it.

What a ****ing twat.

And who does the guy behind think he is? Carlos ****ing Sainz?

The guy with the calibra is just messing around, it's users who submit the photos so what ever they take they put up.
well since it's a celica it can be forgiven

Quote from Jakg :I know NOTHING about car stereo systems. Nothing at all.

Ouch, non-standard size/shape. That's when the guy in the shop makes that sucking sound.

I see your mom smokes.
Quote from Jakg :I was thinking about new wheels (atm I have hubcaps) but that sounds rather expensive.

Are air filters expensive...?

Stick with standard profile tyres, going to low profile tyres will increase noise, reduce comfort, reduce fuel economy and grip. By sticking with higher profile tyres you shouldn't have to worry about kerbing it even with a set of alloys on.

It may be worth putting a K&N air filter onto the car when you need to change it, not for performance gains, but a better quality air filter (K&N come with a lifetime guarantee and do not effect insurance) will only need cleaning out rather than replacing so can be more convenient and save money in the long run. Having said that we are talking about an old car that you probably don't want to keep for long.

Quote from Klutch :For the people that don't believe me.

http://img84.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dyno1wc7.jpg
This is my brothers dyno sheet from a few weeks ago (Registration+full name blanked out)

Rolling roads can't give accurate power readings, and most will always choose the highest to make customers happy. Manufacturers can't just dream up figures in the same way so a lot of rolling roads will probably tell you a standard car has more power than it says on the tin.

Quote from BAMBO :Then the only real engine modification that is more cheap-ish is a chip tunning or box tunning. The tunners claim it will give you more power and more miles per galon .

ECU tuning will have limited advantages (and always have disadvantages) for standard engines, there is probably only really any point when you've done a full rebuild with major internal modifications on a road engine. Modern ECUs should adapt to changes in fuel and intakes without needing to be re-mapped.

Quote from sam93 :
If the bonnet was actually black the paint job will be less then what the carbon fibre bonnet cost.

You've got carbon fibre body panels on a road car that presumably hasn't had any other form of weight stripping (more likely had weight added?). Can you please explain the logic in that? You can easilly shed that amount of weight for free by stripping down a door.

Quote from sam93 :The rear bumper and side skirts are from Imercher who tune vauxhalls, the mirrors are actually nice, oh yea and you go and buy those wheels, they will only set you back £2,000

Because it is expensive it must be good?

Quote from sam93 :It does turn heads, it was individual but people have started to copy doing the astra vans, but I have yet to see one better then it.

http://search.autotrader.co.uk ... ;max_pr=&max_mileage=

Much better looking.

Quote from sam93 :I tend to actually stare at the decent looking girls.

Not the ones in your avatar then?
I actually like that red car after you take off the wing
Quote from Becky Rose :I see your mom smokes.

?

she hasn't in at least 20 years (and when she did I get the impression it wasn't Tobacco...). That's standard on the car iirc (remember it's 7 years old) and she wasn't the original owner in the first place.

And it's "Mum" you filthy colonial.

Where does one acquire an air filter for my car? I guess Halfords sell them but there has to be a cut-price internet retailer...
Quote from Jakg :she hasn't in at least 20 years (and when she did I get the impression it wasn't Tobacco...).

In that case she's just filthy And the cigarette lighter is worn!

Quote :And it's "Mum" you filthy colonial.

And the Red Dragon will awaken from it's slumper and roar once more, I should have said 'mam' of course to be properly Celtic. Don't confuse me for one of those other colonials because I know how to use the letter Y, sometimes 8 times a word.

Quote :Where does one acquire an air filter for my car? I guess Halfords sell them but there has to be a cut-price internet retailer...

Your best bet in the long run is to find a local motor factor for all your odd bits, the kind that's just out of the town centre and stocks everything at a sensible price. Sooner or later you'll want something the same day and Halfords isn't the place to be shopping in a panic, they have a panic tax, it's called their RRP!
Quote from ajp71 :You've got carbon fibre body panels on a road car that presumably hasn't had any other form of weight stripping (more likely had weight added?). Can you please explain the logic in that? You can easilly shed that amount of weight for free by stripping down a door.

It is not to reduce weight, its just for looks etc... When are some people going to understand that there is different types of modifying, 1.looks and the other performance, this car is just for looks.

The girls in my avatar, there isnt any, its my uncle british bull dog.
Quote from Jakg :Where does one acquire an air filter for my car? I guess Halfords sell them but there has to be a cut-price internet retailer...

Direct from K&N etc... or from a site that sells styling products, they usually sell them, I know AB Styling sell some.
Back on topic.

Redex etc. Any good?
If the car has worked fine for 8 years for your mam, and if nothing you can do to it will make it anything other than a Proton, why do you need to modify it?
#149 - AMB
Quote from danowat :Leave it as is, any mods need to be reported to your insurance company, and could bump up your premium, and any you don't report, will probably leave your insurance void should the have an accident.

It's not not worth it, plus you'll just look like one of those saxo twats who look like they've driven into Halfords shopfront with their car coated in superglue.

As for performance mods, it's a Proton wira 1.5, nothing you do, this side of an engine replacement or major engine work, will have any effect on performance.

Hey I'm getting a saxo but I just want a standard one, maybe lowered a little and black in colour,
Quote from Becky Rose :If the car has worked fine for 8 years for your mam, and if nothing you can do to it will make it anything other than a Proton, why do you need to modify it?

I don't "need" to but remember this is my first ever car. I have no idea about the "tricks" like this "Rain X" stuff etc. I have no idea what I should keep in the glove box, for example.

OT - No time left to clean her ffs. Lots of pics to come up tonight, but she's a bit dirty in them.

Lets Rice Ma Car, y0!
(682 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG