The online racing simulator
Hacker
(44 posts, closed, started )
Quote from dougie-lampkin :Really, there is no basis for him to be perma-banned...you wouldn't get a master server ban for using Tweak or something similar online, and this is the exact same thing (kind of. It's still memory editing). It doesn't get him any advantage, and if he uses it to cause nuisance on a specific server, the moderators of that server can ban him as they see fit.

It's up to Scawen to code dynamic memory addresses or something to stop it. But of course, a new workaround will be found then, so really there's no point

yea..ok..it was really weird when he used it online and 'his' arrow on the map just went flying everywhere on my screen

Edit...hmm 300 post
Quote from shaun463 :[name and shame removed]

Shaun, you know better than to name and shame on this forum. This is your last warning.

it's probably not the time nor thread for thoughts like this, but whenever i see accusations or names or whatever, i do not 'believe' them. people can throw whatever name they want around me, i don't care about it unless i've got my own experience with the one that is being mentiond.

someone: oh blah-blah did so-and-so oooh he/she is so blaaah
me: meh. you shouldn't be telling this to me. if you have gripes about someone's behaviour... guess who you should be talking to! (hint: not me)

this is really one of the things that angers me the most. hearing names and actions of people... who interest others. not me.

the moment i hear someone badmouthing someone else, it is the badmouther who is painted PITCH BLACK in my book, not the one who was named.

tsiros, out
Quote from dougie-lampkin : But of course, a new workaround will be found then, so really there's no point

ever seen 'this program blaaah illegal operation' ?

yup, that's the mechanism that the hardware, in cooperation with the OS, uses to make sure that your program may not poke around where it shouldn't.

that, can not be worked around.
Everything can be worked around...with a small bit of clever naming, the OS won't be able to differentiate between LFS and a memory editing program. How is it to know what is doing what, apart from the name and address of the program. Both of which can quite easily be forged
it doesn't work that way, dougie...
But the point is, anything can be bypassed. It might be harder and take longer, but there is always a way...I've never really dabbled in memory addresses much, so I'm not sure how it would be stopped (or at least much harder to do, so only a very select few could manage)...
what the hell does 'dabbled in memory addresses' mean, anyway?

go read up on 'general protection fault' if you want.
Not really, just saying that I haven't messed around with them much. I know what they are, what they're used for and how to access and edit them. That's all I need to know
Quote from dougie-lampkin :I know what they are, what they're used for and how to access and edit them.

access and edit... what? memory addresses? GPFs? what you say does not make any sense at all. memory contents? we are not talking about them.

Quote from dougie-lampkin :That's all I need to know

ah. that's your error. you think you know all you need to.
Quote from george_tsiros :access and edit... what? memory addresses? GPFs? what you say does not make any sense at all. memory contents? we are not talking about them.

Actually, yes we are. We're discussing how a hacker edited the memory contents to freeze his car. What I am saying makes perfect sense. I know how to access the memory addresses (as in, I can scan a program's memory to find an address I want) and I can edit them (by pressing the edit button). You're just trying to be awkward.

Quote from george_tsiros :ah. that's your error. you think you know all you need to.

Yea, that's what I said. I'm never going to need to know every single thing there is to know about my PC's memory, so why bother? I'd much rather learn something I'll actually use sometime
first of all, you say 'every single thing'. that is your first mistake. i didn't suggest something like that. learning about GPFs so that you understand about memory protection is not 'every single thing'. 'one more thing', maybe.

why bother? well... first of all so that you don't reach to conclusions about things you know nothing about. if you bothered to read about this, you would know that accessing, or worse, modifying the content's of a program's memory is not something that can be easily bypassed. if it were, the first stray pointer would just garble everything in your computer.

in short, you have the skript kiddie attitude. (i know how to press edit to edit memory and it works, so why would i want to know everything about my pc, since i got this tool to do the work)
No, you seem to misunderstand me, or else you just won't listen. I'm never going to need to know how to protect the memory, so why bother? Yes it's "one more thing", but one thing leads to another. Something else will just be "one more thing" and then I end up wasting ages learning about something completely pointless to me.

It's not that I don't know anything about it, I know what I need to. I don't understand rocket science, but I have no desire to either, as I don't need to. Someone else's job is to learn and understand rocket science, and program rockets to do whatever they're supposed to be doing. Not mine. Therefore, learning rocket science is pointless for me. Same deal here.

I don't have a "script kiddie" attitude, just because I haven't written my own program to access and edit memory. Someone else has made one (a cracking one too I might add) that allows me to scan and edit memory with a few buttons. So I use that. I could if I wanted to, write an app in VB to do it, I have everything necessary, but why bother? Why reinvent the wheel?
Instead of all this arguing why ot just meet in a pub car park and have a knife fight?

Slashing only mind
Coz we are on internetz. A whooooole different ball game
Yeah, computer hard man rulez
Quote from dougie-lampkin :It's not that I don't know anything about it, I know what I need to. I don't understand rocket science, but I have no desire to either, as I don't need to. Someone else's job is to learn and understand rocket science, and program rockets to do whatever they're supposed to be doing. Not mine. Therefore, learning rocket science is pointless for me. Same deal here.

all fine, except that your argument falls flat on its head if you remember that you made comments about something you yourself has admitted to not know a lot about.
Huh? I said I know what memory addresses are, and how to edit them. I did also say that I haven't studied them in detail. Do I have to know everything about them to edit them?
yeah i think this thread has reached the end of its life. Closing it.

ps, how many more countries to go Dougie?
This thread is closed

Hacker
(44 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG