The online racing simulator
How much did you pay?
(45 posts, started )
£1200 went on:

AMD Athlon 64 2.4Ghz Dual Core CPU
2x 8800GTS - in SLi mode
2GB DDR3 RAM
And the general stuff like HDD's, DVD-ROM drives etc.
(about 100 quid went on small replacement parts etc)

Currently limited to a 1.9GHz dualcore CPU tho, other one died due to insufficient cooling

Now awaiting additional cooling components & thinking of ordering a 3GHz Dual Core CPU.

Yes, i've spent that much, but i've never held a WR. Never plan to either. I'm and FPS nut. So things like BF2 & Crysis take up much more time than LFS.

Sarge.
OT: I agree with the posts above stating that laptops aren't that bad for gaming - ever since I got my MSI PX710GX I rarely touch my 4 years old PC (only when I want to listen to music, as the Audigy 2 soundcard can't be compared to the onboard realtec "thing" the laptop has ^^). After reading Maggots post I'm starting to worry about how long will it live :O according to everest it has run more than 30 days of time since 23rd May and the longest uptime was 44 hrs.
Quote from Shotglass :well if you had any hopes of playing criysis acceptably forget it but otherwise you should be fine for the most part... unless the screen has some ridiculous resolution

No I didn't, so hopefully I'll be fine

Just mainly for LFS and rFactor. (game wise)
Quote from AtomAnt :How much did you pay to own a WR. We got guys like "elderado_27" who seems to have $4000.00 plus and has never owed a WR.

I'm just wondering how much money /or how much money people are willing to spend to obtain a WR.

I held WR on SO1R with the XRR and i have less than 1,000.00 invested.

Wait for it.

800MHZ duron
256 Video
128 ram

I Pity the fool who runs me paying 3,000.00 for any DELL or some other Chit computer. It's the driver not the system, don't believe me ask Rudi.

Hurrah! You're back!

On topic though: I have owned a few wr's, and I'm sure it's less hard to do one with an up-to-date gaming than with a 5-year old family pc (which I previously used ).
#30 - th84
Welcome back, AA!!!! Nice to see your druken threads are still popping up!!

On topic, I wouldnt pay anything for a WR. Why would anybody? They would just end up getting deleted/reset anyway.
#31 - Jakg
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :You are way behind the times man, laptops have been churning out some good gaming systems for a long time now. Agreed a top end lappy will only be a low to mid end PC but they are capable and have been capable of gaming for years.

You need to stop being so prejudice and actually look at what is shipping with laptops these days.

I own a laptop (An HP nx7400) which was £600 new almost a year ago and came with a 2 GHz C2D, 2 GB of RAM and a... GMA950 It can barely even play LFS at 1680*1050 (yes it has an odd res) which means it really sucks for gaming.
Quote from J@tko :Nope, 8600 (This is me presuming the bigger number is better :tilt

2.2 Ghz Dual Core
3GB RAM
360GB Hard Drive
17" screen

~£650

Ah the 8600M GT is a little better, but 17" seems a little excessive.
Quote from Jakg :I own a laptop (An HP nx7400) which was £600 new almost a year ago and came with a 2 GHz C2D, 2 GB of RAM and a... GMA950 It can barely even play LFS at 1680*1050 (yes it has an odd res) which means it really sucks for gaming.

That is why it only cost you £600, they save money by using integrated graphics. But if you're trying to get IGA to play LFS at 1680x1050 then the problem here is MAC (Moron At Computer).
Quote from Jakg :Ah the 8600M GT is a little better, but 17" seems a little excessive.

Tis what it comes with

But I'm not going to complain

Actual specz:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5850 - 2.18 GHz
3072MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
17" widescreen
nVidia® GeForce™ Go 8600M GT with 256MB DDR2 dedicated graphic memory
320GB Hard Drive (not sure where I got 360 GB from :S)

£668

It'll be a bit more once I've popped on all the stuff I need (and don't really need :shy

Any ideas what sort of FPS I can expect? (bear in mind I'm getting 20-30 fps atm!)

Ty, and sorry for hi-jacking this thread
#34 - Jakg
17" is better than 15" for using, but the point is a laptop should be mobile - if you don't plan on moving it it seems a little silly to get one.

I used a 20" laptop the other day and you couldn't really move it or pack it up and go - it was just a cool looking PC with a dodgy keyboard and high price...

BTW - £600 is a lot of money, i don't know many people with laptops more expensive than that - obviously you can get laptops with 9800M GTX's in them but very few people can actually afford to buy one.
You could start a thread on how much did you pay for an object, or how much did you pay for your first car, but how much did you pay for a WR?? Doesn't make sense.
Quote from Jakg :BTW - £600 is a lot of money, i don't know many people with laptops more expensive than that - obviously you can get laptops with 9800M GTX's in them but very few people can actually afford to buy one.

When I picked up my lappy about 3 years back it was bottom of the range and cost me £600. £600 is a nothing figure when it comes to computers.
#37 - Jakg
You can get laptops for under £300 now - the most expensive laptop i've seen sold so far at PCW is about £650...
Quote from Jakg :You can get laptops for under £300 now - the most expensive laptop i've seen sold so far at PCW is about £650...

Mine was $2300, which, at the time, was a huge bargain for the system I got. 600 pounds is a cheapy.
still OT -.- :And mine was 644.295 GBP, accordin to XE.com. Here are the specs :
CPU: AMD Turion X2 TL-58 (1.90 GHz, 2×512KiB L2 cache, 65 nm)
Memory: 2×1 GB DDR2-667 SO-DIMM (667 MHz, CL5-5-5-15)
GPU: ATI Mobility HD2600 (DX10, 65 nm, 450/350(700)MHz (?) , 512 MB)
SoundCard: Realtek ALC888 HD Audio 7.1
HDD: Western Digital WD2500BEVS-22UST0 (250 GB, 5400 rpm, 8 MB cache, ATA-100)
Display: 17,1” Glare-Type WSXGA+ (1680×1050)
Optical drive: LG GSA-T20N (SuperMulti DVD-RW, 2 MB cache, ATA-100)

It's big and it's heavy, but it suits my needs perfectly, as I need a PC to carry with me to the school/dormitory just 600+ km from where I live
Quote from Jakg :You can get laptops for under £300 now - the most expensive laptop i've seen sold so far at PCW is about £650...

In PC World...

They aim at the mass market, so stocking anything that costs too much will never sell. Take a gander at HP, Dell, ACER, [insert OEM Name Here]. You'll quickly come across laptops in the thousands price range.
Not into computers really

All I know is that I have 512 MB RAM and i get around 75 FPS
Definition of silly...spending a lot of money on a laptop for portability, then complaining that you have to carry your G25 everywhere to play LFS!

In anycase, my costs:

Computer (C2Q6600, 2Gb RAM, 1.5TB HD space 8800GTS) ~£700
Monitor (22" Widescreen TFT) - £150
G25 - £150
Chair - £40
Desk - £Sod-all (Got it out of a skip...originally valued at £500!!!)
#43 - Jakg
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :In PC World...

They aim at the mass market, so stocking anything that costs too much will never sell. Take a gander at HP, Dell, ACER, [insert OEM Name Here]. You'll quickly come across laptops in the thousands price range.

You can buy £2,000 laptops but the point is very VERY few people do.

I was using PCW as an example - we have £900 laptops and even the MacBook Air but i've never seen any of them sold - most of the laptops we sell are in the £300 - £450 range and the most expensive one i've seen sold was £650...

The point is that in general, laptops aren't as good for gaming as desktops - and that unless you spend a lot on a laptop you won't get away from an integrated solution (although there are a few good deals)

EDIT - My costs:

PC - Rough guess £1,000 - £1,500 new (for each part) + 1 Arm & 1 Leg
Monitors - £186 for the 22", £100 for the 17" new and £50 for the other 17" second hand.
Speakers - £45.
Wheel - £150.
Desk - £Free as it's the families old dining table. Made of solid Oak and apparently worth a lot, though.
Probably spent over £2000 on various iterations of my PC in the 6 years since I started. It was a 3GHz P4 with 1GB of RAM and a 256MB 9800XT to begin with. It's now an Athlon X2 4400+ with 2GB RAM and a 512MB X1950XTX and is starting to show its age.

I'm going to be spending another £1400 or so in a few months doing pretty much an entire rebuild (the CD drive will probably stay ), and watercooling it (partly for noise reduction, partly so I can see how far I can overclock everything and partly just because it sounds fun).
lol I thought this was a thread about the price of gas lol :P

my laptop cost almost $3000+$300(G25)+$90(older Momo wheel)+$51(LFS)

How much did you pay?
(45 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG