The online racing simulator
iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
Alright, VIR Long practice is a go mission.
2.13.3 after ~15 laps and from watching our magical sideways-friend Huttu and adding that to my own limited magical abilities I can deduct that taking another 1.5-2 seconds off will be possible. The only factor still missing in that equation is that I haven't raced on VIR yet before, so I don't know the limits of the track all that well.

Edit: I hate this track so damn much... either I complete a lap and it's a good 2.13, or I slide off into the sunset over the grass as soon as a blade of said grass sneaks its way under one of the wheels.
Quote from spankmeyer :

I noticed the wheel isn't anywhere near linear unless I set rotation lock at 900 degrees. Does to Solstice really have that much steering rotation?

Trail braking feels really effective in the Solstice! By far more stable and willing to turn into the corner than anything in LFS. Maybe it's because there are no tyre temp overlays so I'm not afraid to put flatspots and surface temps into red in iRacing.

yeah the steering feels really low geared, i know some people reduce the rotation on their wheels so the steering becomes variable ratio to help them.

also the solstice turns in better if you can have any throttle opening, even a slight one, think of it as a diff on lfs thats well locked on the overrun but loose under power. if you can left foot brake it really responds well to being turned in with the brakes and a slight throttle in tight bends
Quote from spankmeyer :...Also, I guess I'm a dumbass too for driving with full H-gate and clutch pedal setup?

Not in the least . It's the difference between being a simracer and a gamer.
Quote from Jertje :Alright, VIR Long practice is a go mission.
2.13.3 after ~15 laps and from watching our magical sideways-friend Huttu and adding that to my own limited magical abilities I can deduct that taking another 1.5-2 seconds off will be possible. The only factor still missing in that equation is that I haven't raced on VIR yet before, so I don't know the limits of the track all that well.

Edit: I hate this track so damn much... either I complete a lap and it's a good 2.13, or I slide off into the sunset over the grass as soon as a blade of said grass sneaks its way under one of the wheels.

There's no need for sliding and just to prove my point, here's a 2:12.5 lap and you can see I'm not really pushing that hard, leaving some safety margin in each corner. For 2:10-11 range you might need to throw it around alot more, but first I'd work on going fast and smooth, instead of slow and sideways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIkuIx9hL9Y
That might work for you, but I absolutely can't drive the Skippy that smoothly. To get into that style would take me too much additional time by now, and I know that in the end it ends up being slower for me personally on the limit.

My 2.13.3 is absolutely horrendously ugly compared to your lap, but I know that I can still make huge improvements to knock seconds off that. That speed should come with consistency, and right now I don't have any of that since I haven't done more than 20 laps around any VIR layout

I'm still in the stage of learning the track where improvements come in 'bursts' - if you know what I mean. Before I drove my PB, my old PB was 1.5 seconds slower, and so on. However, since the Olympics were on and I royally hate VIR, I haven't taken much time to practice yet ;p
I'm even strongly considering putting most of my focus on the Mazda around Silverstone, but I need to learn VIR at some point...

Either way I think the next week is going to hurt my SR quite a bit and likewise, the grass in VIR will never quite look the same again :>
Quote from Doorman :Not in the least . It's the difference between being a simracer and a gamer.

its also another reason why im glad to go to the skippy, in the solstice i'm using an h gate with clutch and having to change with my right hand whilst trying to judge where the kerb is from the left hand side of the car. all of which is very realistic but gives those that are used to left hand drive and / or using paddles to shift an advantage. with the skippy its more even
i just hate waiting 20min to race for 1-3 laps then have to drive by myself for another 17~ laps. i'm not down to 1:03's but i can still keep my car on the track and keep a decent pace. everyone else seems to be super fast or crash a lot... hopefully with time, this will change.
Quote from JJ72 :Stupidity on my part, I assumed that it's hardcore no mercy land and retired.

My feeling the shutter is a bit sound card related, sometimes i get shutters like this in games with lots of effects, it's an onboard card and maybe it ran out of juice. all i remembered was a green car catching up underbraking.

Maybe there are programs running in the Windows background causing stutters in the game. You can use enditall2 to close them before Racing. It could help.

http://www.docsdownloads.com/Tier1/enditall.htm
the logic behind the advanced solstice escapes me

it has the same tires and the same power as the stock car

why would you put fully adjustable race suspension on a car that pretty much maxes out the capacity of the tires that are already on it.

I'd rather have some semi-slicks or street legal super sticky tires or something...

better yet, how about the solstice GXP...the 260 horse turbo charged model as the advanced version

what are good lap times around LRP in the advanced solstice? I'm lost now, no time trial times yet, and a new 3rd gear that I haven't raced with in the rookie car yet.

edit- lol well...ok

Its not fully adjustable suspension now that I go back in game

Its just got adjustments caster and camber like you can do on stock cars, and its got stiffer shocks and maybe lowering springs...but still, I want sticky tires and a TARBOOOOOOOOOOooooooooo
I think the advanced solstice is roughly a second faster on LRP, but I could be wrong as I only did 2 races with it, and hardly any practice.

Edit: George thanks for that program, I've always been looking for something like that
The Solstice is already running slicks, spanks. Hoosiers R6 or something like that (don't remeber the exact name).
do anyone notice rather huge FPS differences between tracks? for me out of the basic package Leguna is noticably more slugglish, has more obvious performance dips. limerock is fine and summit point actually gives me even more framerate.
First race with Solstice at Lacuna Seca starting... now!

The quali was a disaster.
Quote from JJ72 :do anyone notice rather huge FPS differences between tracks? for me out of the basic package Laguna is noticeably more sluggish, has more obvious performance dips. limerock is fine and summit point actually gives me even more framerate.

Yeah, most of the time it shows up as above 60fps, but i see a stutter twice a lap at around the same spot each time. it is quite distracting when you are pushing 100%
I think Road America and Silverstone are currently the most demanding tracks for a lot of machines. I personally don't notice any performance dips anywhere, so I guess I'm lucky
Quote from Gabkicks :Yeah, most of the time it shows up as above 60fps, but i see a stutter twice a lap at around the same spot each time. it is quite distracting when you are pushing 100%

Try enabling FPS limit without v-sync or triple buffering, for me this removed stuttering completely.
JJ, for me Laguna gets stuck so I can't race it (use to I just got another 1 GB ram card so now I have around 1.5 gb of ram so that might help but didnt try yet).

Summit point and Lime Rock Park are fine though.
Quote from Jertje :I think Road America and Silverstone are currently the most demanding tracks for a lot of machines. I personally don't notice any performance dips anywhere, so I guess I'm lucky

most demanding tracks for a lot of machines? True, but Long Beach is still in the pipeline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byYr06PN2f4
Quote from George Kuyumji : True, but Long Beach street circuit is still in the pipeline

i think it's time to order that cray supercomputer (and i thought my G25 was expensive !! )
Quote from evilpimp :JJ, for me Laguna gets stuck so I can't race it (use to I just got another 1 GB ram card so now I have around 1.5 gb of ram so that might help but didnt try yet).

Summit point and Lime Rock Park are fine though.

so it isn't just me then.

I hope they'll get around to fix it, generally the game is quite easy on performance, but shuttering is a big nono.

@Crommi: someone on the Iracing forum say turning Vsync ON solve the problem most of the time?
I tried limiting my framerate to 60 and that seems to have helped a bit. I think I may need to defrgament my hard drive and expand the MFT
Silverstone is undrivable for me :/
Quote from JJ72 :Silverstone is undrivable for me :/

It was undrivable for me aswell until I set frame limiter on (at 51 by default). All stuttering gone with rest of the settings are pretty high, except shadows.

C2D E6750, 2GB ram, x1950Prp@XT.
I am getting an extra G of ram this week, hopefully it'll fix it.
fps limit on 51, no V-sync, everything else set pretty low (automaticaly set like that), C2D 6550, 1GB RAM, 7300GT, no stuttering anywhere. If I mess with turning off the limit or V-sync on, fps goes about 40-80 and thats quite distracting, and stutters sometimes, so I quit experimenting and just enjoy racing with constant smoothness. Doesn't look too bad either.
This thread is closed

iRacing
(13603 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG