The online racing simulator
Ughhh...
(36 posts, started )
Ughhh...
<pointlessrant>

So I've spent my entire summer working, trying to earn some $$$. By the time I finish working at my job (next week) I will have earned about $2500.

So far, I've paid Subaru $1800 for work that needed to be done to my 213,000 mile car. Not exactly cheap, but the work was necessary and it fixed some things that had been issues for YEARS and made a huge difference in how the car drove, so I was happy nonetheless. I had hoped to save the rest of the money for college stuff, but that didn't end up working out.

Two days ago, I decided to go to a self-serve car wash because they were having a "$3.75 for 45 minutes of use" special. My car was literally covered in mud from some off-roading last weekend, so I decided to take advantage of it. Whilst in the bay, I pulled up my wipers in the front to clean them off, but I stupidly forgot to put them down. When I went to use the sprayer, the hose swung around and lightly knocked both wipers back down. BOTH of them, however, flipped as they fell so that instead of landing on the rubber, they landed on the metal side. The driver's side wiper has a wind deflector to push the blade onto the windshield I guess, and that snapped off and went sailing (not a big deal - it's probably a $20 part.) The other one hit the windshield and cracked it - so that's $400 right there. So basically by the time I go back to college, I will not have ANY money to show for all my summer work. Sucks.

PLUS just now, we had some Blue-Crab for dinner that my brother caught and brought back from the Hamptons (Long Island Shore.) An hour later we realize my dad (who's eaten seafood all his life - just not Blue Crab I guess) is having an allergic reaction - and he had SEVEN of them. He insists on driving, but I want to make sure he gets there okay, so I follow in my car in case he ends up having to stay the night or something. Halfway there, a deer bolts out in front of me and I slam on the brakes, and hit it at about 35 MPH. You could have been Michael Schumacher and it would not have made a difference. It pretty much came out of the bushes at full tilt, and even though I reacted RIGHT away with hard brakes, the car barely finished nosing down when I hit it (ABS screeching.)

You're probably expecting me to tell you about all the damage I have now (I know people who've hit them at 50 and totaled their cars) but all I have to show for it is some dried deer drool on my bumper. It'll take more than a lousy deer to take down this car!

Nonetheless, not a great series of events... and nothing sucks more than working a really, truly boring and annoying job all summer and not being able to spend it on anything other than necessary repairs to your car (which isn't a BAD thing, but I still wish I could have spend a LITTLE of my hard-earned cash on something else for ME, if ya know what I mean.)

</pointlessrant>
#2 - Jakg
Be lucky you have a nice car you can afford to drive at a young age - most people outside America will never get a Subaru at age 19...
Quote from Jakg :Be lucky you have a nice car you can afford to drive at a young age - most people outside America will never get a Subaru at age 19...

Uh..what?

The roads here in australia are infested with 18yo drivers in WRX's.
#4 - wark
OMG is the deer all right? :cry:

No, really that sucks. That must be a high % of the car's total value right there. Glad the deer didn't do much damage... glad you weren't on a bike!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh6XeO3KugE
Quote from Klutch :Uh..what?

I think he means mainly the UK no insurance company would touch a 19 year old, and if they do it's gonna be lots of £££
Ain't exactly cheap here either...

Brother has to pay 3k a year
Here, I'm not allowed to get insured on anything rear-wheel drive until I'm 21. I'm not allowed to get insured on anything over 2.5L (well, there is one company, but it would be upwards of €9000 a year for 2.5L+). I'm paying €3000 just to be a named driver on a 1.0L Yaris. If I want to get insured on my own for it, double it. Insurance is a complete shambles in Ireland...Oh, and if I do have a crash, my expenses aren't even covered. And then next year, my premium will be doubled, if the insurance company will even touch me...

LOL, I just tried getting a quote for myself, using all my real details, on a '98 Impreza WRX STi. Not a single company I tried would insure me. Not one. Consider yourself very lucky
#8 - aoun
Lol half of Australians teenagers have wrx's, skylines, lancers, 200sx, 180sx. they have turned those fast, awesome cars into spaceships from star wars with the bullshit they put in them. Body kits with curves and shit all over, 20'' chrome rims half covered by the frame..neon's, white interiors, 1500rms systems. But then you got the few who actually leave the appearance alone and play around with the engine. Then they drive around like they are God of cars, but they wouldn't last half a lap on the racetrack!
Owning a car is a money pit. We seem to do it automatically, "oh look i'm 17 where's my car?". You'll forever be plowing money into them and all you've got is a portable bedroom so you dont have to introduce your conquests to the folks too soon. Once you're out of that phase I suggest getting rid of the car as soon as you can. And if that's not why you have a car - then ask yourself why you have one?

Quote :Lol half of Australians teenagers have wrx's, skylines, lancers, 200sx, 180sx. they have turned those fast, awesome cars into spaceships from star wars with the bullshit they put in them. Body kits with curves and shit all over, 20'' chrome rims half covered by the frame..neon's, white interiors, 1500rms systems. But then you got the few who actually leave the appearance alone and play around with the engine. Then they drive around like they are God of cars, but they wouldn't last half a lap on the racetrack!

Star Wars is cool mkay. Actually I like some of the things ricers do to their cars *prepares to get the full wrath of the LFS Forum Purists Shortly* but I do laugh when they add 'performance' parts and get their cars chipped and stuff, the fat exhaust is a great one... "woot you have a moderately faster top speed at 170mph - and less excelleration, NICE ONE!".

I've had many cars that would blow all the local ricers away from the traffic lights, and not one of them was modded or cost more than a 1000 Queen's heads - so I never really got the point of doing car mods - but don't be dissing Star Wars mkay!
#10 - aoun
mkay!!
Quote from aoun :Lol half of Australians teenagers have wrx's, skylines, lancers, 200sx, 180sx. they have turned those fast, awesome cars into spaceships from star wars with the bullshit they put in them. Body kits with curves and shit all over, 20'' chrome rims half covered by the frame..neon's, white interiors, 1500rms systems. But then you got the few who actually leave the appearance alone and play around with the engine. Then they drive around like they are God of cars, but they wouldn't last half a lap on the racetrack!

Not sure how it is over east, but here in WA its rather rare to see a ricer.

Pink vl's with 22" are a pretty rare sight here.

Instead you have bashed up S13's that look like shit (dents/scratches) that have no interior, roll cages, major suspension work, major engine work..etc

I go on cruises almost every weekend, and most of the guys there are in highly modded Evo's, WRX's, Skylines, Silvia's, Soarers and the like.

And most of them see lots of track-time, wether it be Drag, Drift, motorkhana, Rally, Hill climbs, Curcuit racing.

A fair few people on my local car club entered dutton rally, and theres always Dyno days, Drag days, Skidpan days etc being held by them.

I think us WA guys differ alot from you easties.

Quote from dougie-lampkin :Here, I'm not allowed to get insured on anything rear-wheel drive until I'm 21. I'm not allowed to get insured on anything over 2.5L (well, there is one company, but it would be upwards of €9000 a year for 2.5L+). I'm paying €3000 just to be a named driver on a 1.0L Yaris. If I want to get insured on my own for it, double it. Insurance is a complete shambles in Ireland...Oh, and if I do have a crash, my expenses aren't even covered. And then next year, my premium will be doubled, if the insurance company will even touch me...

LOL, I just tried getting a quote for myself, using all my real details, on a '98 Impreza WRX STi. Not a single company I tried would insure me. Not one. Consider yourself very lucky

Thats pretty nuts man O_O
My brother owns a Toyota soarer, if you're not familiar...they use a 1jz-gtte engine. 2.5l twin turbo
With this being said...my brothers has an exhaust, Intercooler, Intake, ECU and is putting at 287rwhp, and he's paying 3k for it
Quote from Klutch :Uh..what?

Well the roads here are infested with 18yo drivers in Clio's and Corsa's. (and I'm one of them :razz.
Quote from jonny__27 :Well the roads here are infested with 18yo drivers in Clio's and Corsa's. (and I'm one of them :razz.

In fairness young drivers are not Portugal's biggest problem on the roads, it's every single one of you insane nutters!

I remember being driven from the port to the airport in Lisbon by taxi and the driver was tooting his horn at an army truck, full of guys with guns, because he wanted to skip the red light we where sat at.

Never. Ever. Again.
Quote from Klutch :I think us WA guys differ alot from you easties.

Really? I know one thing for sure I'm never ever going to buy a house near a corner I see a new fence knocked down (occassionally more than just a fence) just about every other weekend in the suburb I live in. So while there is maybe alot that do the right thing and go to track days and organised events there is more that don't and behave like twats on residential streets A few beers combined with a late night trip home and alot can't seem to resist hooning often resulting in major damage to their cars and private property. On top of that alot of WA drivers are overly aggressive and extremly impatient on the roads. I'm sure your not one of them though [/oldmanrant]
#15 - aoun
Im sick of the cars out east. young blokes dress up their car like a barbie doll and drive around like its a ferrari 599. i see one bloke around with a bright hot pink Toyota supra with the number plate "barbie". dont let me start on number plates! These things are ment to be machines! Not spaceships from starwars dolls. sorry beck :P
Hmm, i'm sure theres a few dickheads in commodores or falcons that behave like twats in residential area's.

Everyone i know, if they can't go to a track day, reserve it for industrial area's or the hills at 2am.

No cars, No pedestrians, No police, Nothing to harm but themself.

Good fun to be had.
After reading the crazyness in UK and Ireland, I think im pretty lucky to live in Norway. The insurance here isnt that bad imo..well.. it depends on the car, like Jakg said, there isnt many 18 year olds driving Subaru's here. 18yo here drive BMW's and Volvo's mostly (and im gonna be one of them. 740Tic FTWone year)
Quote from Klutch :Ain't exactly cheap here either...

Brother has to pay 3k a year

Most of the people here save money for their cars, instead of taking a loan. You won't see anyone here owning an expensive car at 18 years old.

I've always said "You can't spend money you don't have", and that includes taking a loan for a car.
So Stang, is your dad okay?
Quote from Becky Rose :In fairness young drivers are not Portugal's biggest problem on the roads, it's every single one of you insane nutters!

I remember being driven from the port to the airport in Lisbon by taxi and the driver was tooting his horn at an army truck, full of guys with guns, because he wanted to skip the red light we where sat at.

Never. Ever. Again.

hehe, our taxi drivers but well that's a standard for most of them here.

but there's something worse than us. My father went to Romania on work last week, and he said that in Bucharest the red light is the only traffic rule respected. STOP signs, speed limits, road markings, and all the rest is ignored. (at least is what he said)
Sweet, i made someone's signature.
#22 - Jakg
Quote from Klutch :Brother has to pay 3k a year

Insurance on my car (1.5L Proton) is gonna be £1,500 a year...

Insurance on any car for me is upwards of £1,000.
Quote from Jakg :Insurance on my car (1.5L Proton) is gonna be £1,500 a year...

Insurance on any car for me is upwards of £1,000.

I think he's talking about finance, instead of insurance
Did you just get out of Highschool, and thus, only have a 2 month summer? Only making $2500 sounds weird to me, based on the fact that I made over $5000, BUT I do have a 4 month summer because colleges get out in April instead of June. I tend to forget highschool runs later...

In any case, too bad about the money situation. I'm almost in the same boat, onlye got about $1600 left. That's definitely not going to cover supplies and food for one semester, not by a long shot.
I can't believe how much some people pay for car insurance. I pay $380 per year. I'm 23, no accidents, no tickets, and drive a 1998 Acura CL.

Ughhh...
(36 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG