The online racing simulator
#26 - ssm
Quote from danthebangerboy :I think it would be so much more realistic if parts of the car could become detached, ie, fall off, instead of squishing into the car, and also, things like windows and light coulld break. Last of all, if you are driving an xfg and get bad damage on the back of the car the window wiper sticks out whilst the rest of the car folds inwards. Clearly a blatant safety issue that should be adressed!

Yes, it would make things interesting to make parts fly off and become obstacles for other drivers, but I am mainly going to focus my rant about more critical damage modeling. Mainly being damages on important parts of the cars. Tires, rims, brakes, and gear box. Aerodynamic damage, throttle jamming open, and weathering would be nice too.
In alot of older model cars and some newer cars with horrible syncronization, it was and can sometimes still be a benefit to double clutch. Many transport trucks still require you to double clutch, because they run unsyncronized transmissions with straight cut gears.

Double clutching on upshifts gives the engine time to slow down and match the speeds in the transmission.

Because your input shaft is now spinning faster than it will be when you engage the next gear, you need to slow it down. so you disengage the gear you are shifting out of, leave it in nutral and release the clutch, as soon as the engine slows down to the speed for the next gear it will have taken the input shaft with it, allowing you to put it in gear even without using the clutch, though it would probably be a good idea.

On a car with very fast throttle responce it only takes an instant for the engine to rev back down to match the speeds. So your shift will still be just as fast unless you where using the clutch to match speeds before.
Quote from ssm :Try lifting your couch up to your chest, now lift a pencil up to your chest. Same amount of energy expended?

How is that relevant?
Quote from wheel4hummer :How is that relevant?

Its not.

But what you said doesn't quite make sense either.

The faster the engine revs, the more air and fuel gets taken in, and the farther open you keep the throttle, the higher up the vacuum balance will be, so the engine will suck in more air, but the vacuum will balance out and maintain the speed of the engine.
Quote from DragonCommando :The faster the engine revs, the more air and fuel gets taken in, and the farther open you keep the throttle, the higher up the vacuum balance will be, so the engine will suck in more air, but the vacuum will balance out and maintain the speed of the engine.

I know, I was just saying that the engine takes in the same volume of air regardless of throttle. But people misunderstood me and thought that by saying "volume" I meant "amount of air molecules", but that is not the case. I meant volume as in space occupied by something.
Quote from wheel4hummer :I know, I was just saying that the engine takes in the same volume of air regardless of throttle. But people misunderstood me and thought that by saying "volume" I meant "amount of air molecules", but that is not the case. I meant volume as in space occupied by something.

But the engine doesn't take in the same volume with different throttle positions, even if the engine RPM is the same. At idle, the engine is taking in less air with the throttle closed as it is with the throttle open. even if the engine doesn't accelerate. ofcourse, that only happens under a load that balances out the power with the resistance.
#32 - ssm
Quote from DragonCommando :Its not.

But what you said doesn't quite make sense either.

The faster the engine revs, the more air and fuel gets taken in, and the farther open you keep the throttle, the higher up the vacuum balance will be, so the engine will suck in more air, but the vacuum will balance out and maintain the speed of the engine.

How is that not relevent? The more load, the more fuel you need to burn to reach a certain engine RPM.
Quote from ssm :How is that not relevent? The more load, the more fuel you need to burn to reach a certain engine RPM.

see, that makes sense, why didn't you just say that.
#34 - ssm
I was worried that Hummer wouldn't understand the function of an internal combustion engine. So I made an analogy.
Quote from DragonCommando :But the engine doesn't take in the same volume with different throttle positions, even if the engine RPM is the same.

How is that possible? I'm talking about volume, not amount of air molecules!!!! If you are filling a 3 liter container with air, and you have a valve at the top which controls how fast air goes into it, the container is still 3 liters even if you close the valve 50%, is it not? It just takes longer for the pressure to build in the container if the valve is closed 50%, and therefore in a given amount of time, it would contain a lower amount of air molecules then if the valve was fully open. But either way, it is 3 liters of air, but since the pressure is higher, there is a greater amount of air molecules if the container had it's valve fully open for an equal amount of time.

EDIT: Although, I just realized that in an engine there are pistons, and the volume of them changes as it goes on the intake stroke. When I mention volume, I mean when the piston is at bottom dead center. Because, I guess the volume of the engine constantly changes. But, even so, the only thing that effects the volume of an engine is the position of the crankshaft, since that moves the pistons thereby changing their volume. Combined with the fact that one piston may be on it's intake stroke while another is on a different stroke. But again, the engine doesn't get any smaller if you use less throttle. I understand that I am being given a hard time just because this is an online forum, and that is to be expected. Also, no-one is understanding what I am writing, and they think something completely different then what I am typing. Life is a huge misunderstanding, it seems. You can't expect to understand everyone, and you can't expect everyone to understand you either.
#36 - ssm
Sure, okay, it's the same volume, but what does that have to do with anything? We are discussing about the amount (moles) of oxygen and petrol we have in the engine block. I don't know why you brought up the issue of volume...
Quote from ssm : I don't know why you brought up the issue of volume...

It seemed like a good idea at the time!
Quote from wheel4hummer :How is that possible? I'm talking about volume, not amount of air molecules!!!! If you are filling a 3 liter container with air, and you have a valve at the top which controls how fast air goes into it, the container is still 3 liters even if you close the valve 50%, is it not? It just takes longer for the pressure to build in the container if the valve is closed 50%, and therefore in a given amount of time, it would contain a lower amount of air molecules then if the valve was fully open. But either way, it is 3 liters of air, but since the pressure is higher, there is a greater amount of air molecules if the container had it's valve fully open for an equal amount of time.

EDIT: Although, I just realized that in an engine there are pistons, and the volume of them changes as it goes on the intake stroke. When I mention volume, I mean when the piston is at bottom dead center. Because, I guess the volume of the engine constantly changes. But, even so, the only thing that effects the volume of an engine is the position of the crankshaft, since that moves the pistons thereby changing their volume. Combined with the fact that one piston may be on it's intake stroke while another is on a different stroke. But again, the engine doesn't get any smaller if you use less throttle. I understand that I am being given a hard time just because this is an online forum, and that is to be expected. Also, no-one is understanding what I am writing, and they think something completely different then what I am typing. Life is a huge misunderstanding, it seems. You can't expect to understand everyone, and you can't expect everyone to understand you either.

The actual pressure is different, so the air volume at 1 atmoshere is different. Though the intake won't be at 1 atmoshere unless the engine isn't running at all.

What I mean is, if the throttle is closed, less air goes into the engine even if the RPM is the same, you get less air volume into the engine. If you open the throttle, even if the RPM doesn't change, vacuum decreases and you get more air volume into the engine.
Well, I am talking about the volume of air after the intake. Because the volume of air that is sucked into the intake is smaller, and then the air contained in that volume is expanded when it is sucked through the intake tube and throttle body. So if you mean the volume of air that starts out outside of the intake and then is expanded when it gets sucked into the intake, then I agree. I just realized where I may have been really confusing. lol
#40 - dev
Have 80% of you ever actually seen a car, not to mention driven it? I haven't read so much nonsense in quite a while...
#41 - ssm
Quote from wheel4hummer :Well, I am talking about the volume of air after the intake. Because the volume of air that is sucked into the intake is smaller, and then the air contained in that volume is expanded when it is sucked through the intake tube and throttle body. So if you mean the volume of air that starts out outside of the intake and then is expanded when it gets sucked into the intake, then I agree. I just realized where I may have been really confusing. lol

Okay, first of all... I don't get why you brought up the "same volume of air" argument. It only confused people, and it was pointless. The cylinders are going to expand to a certain maximum volume every stroke, OF COURSE it is going to be the same volume.

You were annoyed at people misunderstanding you because: a) you are talking about the dimension of the cylinder, or b) you are talking about the amount (moles) of oxygen going into the engine. Option a is so obvious and stupid, it is ruled out as we read your post. The second one was even more confusing but there was the possibility that you didn't understand about the structure of an automobile engine. You can't blame people for misunderstanding you if you are going to post stupid things like these, Captain Obvious.

Second of all, this is a BIIIIG tangent to my original post. I just wanted to post a suggestion for some improvement ideas that might catch the attention of the Devs. I lurked about the older forum posts a bit, it looks like many people are ALSO looking for brake fading. I am hoping that brake fading, "sponging", and damages will be included in the next update.
Quote from wheel4hummer :Well, I am talking about the volume of air after the intake. Because the volume of air that is sucked into the intake is smaller, and then the air contained in that volume is expanded when it is sucked through the intake tube and throttle body. So if you mean the volume of air that starts out outside of the intake and then is expanded when it gets sucked into the intake, then I agree. I just realized where I may have been really confusing. lol

I realy don't know how to explain it so you will understand, it's kind of frustrating.

If the pressure is lower inside the intake, then you have less volume of air, because at 1 atmosphere that volume of air will take up less space.

meaning that it's the opposite of compressing the air, if you compress the air, then at 1 atmosphere of pressure, the air will take up more space.

This is partly why an engine makes more noise with the throttle open as it does with the throttle closed at the same RPM, because the engine is getting more air/fuel, and thus better compression and ignition.

Quote from ssm :Second of all, this is a BIIIIG tangent to my original post. I just wanted to post a suggestion for some improvement ideas that might catch the attention of the Devs. I lurked about the older forum posts a bit, it looks like many people are ALSO looking for brake fading. I am hoping that brake fading, "sponging", and damages will be included in the next update.

not to be an ass, but most of that has been suggested a million times, and discused untill dead.
Quote from dev :Have 80% of you ever actually seen a car, not to mention driven it? I haven't read so much nonsense in quite a while...

Have you ever seen an engine, not to mention worked on one?

If you have nothing good to add why did you even post?
#44 - ssm
Quote from DragonCommando :I realy don't know how to explain it so you will understand, it's kind of frustrating.

If the pressure is lower inside the intake, then you have less volume of air, because at 1 atmosphere that volume of air will take up less space.

meaning that it's the opposite of compressing the air, if you compress the air, then at 1 atmosphere of pressure, the air will take up more space.

This is partly why an engine makes more noise with the throttle open as it does with the throttle closed at the same RPM, because the engine is getting more air/fuel, and thus better compression and ignition.

not to be an ass, but most of that has been suggested a million times, and discused untill dead.

Sorry, WAT?!;you lost me at "less volume". I think you need to retake your Freshman year, specifically "chemistry 101"...
Quote from DragonCommando :If the pressure is lower inside the intake, then you have less volume of air, because at 1 atmosphere that volume of air will take up less space.

I know what you mean. The pressure is lower inside the intake, so, for example, 1 liter of air at 1bar outside of the engine is sucked through the intake and expands to 2liters at 0.5bar at half throttle. Then when you are flooring it, 2liters of air at 1 bar is sucked through the intake, and then you have twice as much air.

Quote from ssm :Sorry, WAT?!;you lost me at "less volume". I think you need to retake your Freshman year, specifically "chemistry 101"...

Sorry, what? You lost me at "WAT?". I think you need to retake elementary school. Specifically 4th grade English.
Obviously the quality of threads at this forum is still as high as it was when I took my sabbatical. Very glad I dropped by
@ W4H
exactly, more throttle = less vacuum, which will lead to more air volume entering the engine, and at a higher pressure, even if the engine doesn't accelerate.

@ssm
I realy don't want to go through explaining how vacuum controlls an engine.
#48 - ssm
Quote from DragonCommando :@ W4H
exactly, more throttle = less vacuum, which will lead to more air volume entering the engine, and at a higher pressure, even if the engine doesn't accelerate.

@ssm
I realy don't want to go through explaining how vacuum controlls an engine.

I think that I know what I am talking about.
Welcome to LFS, where 99% of the community thinks they are master automotive techs and blunder their way though mechanical theory and spread misinformation to the masses...fantastic...

Lets just throw a wrench into the works...oxygen doesn't push the cylinders down, expanding nitrogen does...

I still think this section of the forum needs to be removed since it really does nothing but create arguments and pound ideas into the ground...after 4+ years I think the devs have a pretty good understanding of what the community would like...
I'm with that guy.

Either remove this section or start moderating the damn thing with a pair of iron fists (or just start moderating it, full stop). Since its inception it's been a flame-magnet and it's only become worse in the last year. Mods, imho, need to start opening up cans of Chuck Norris.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG