The online racing simulator
#1 - MrPB
Computer shuts down while playing LFS!?
When Playing LFS on my stationary computer it just shuts down after one lap...
On my laptop it doesn't, the stationary computer is better than the laptop but it works fine on the laptop and on the stationary computer as well untill it shuts down for some strange reason???

Does anyone have the same problem?

Can it be that the stationary computer gets overheated?
If that's the problem, whats the sollution? Buy a bigger fan?

Thankful for answers

Kind regards //PB
It could be an overheating thing, but are you using a wheel or joypad? It's possible your power-saving function is just kicking in because there's no mouse or keyboard activity.
Do you play any other 3D-graphics game? If not, it could be the graphics card causing an overheat. This happenned to me when I had to switch to al older graphics card for a couple of weeks when the one I had died. The older card generated a lot more heat and after a while playing LFS the system would reboot.
I have a CPU Temperature thingy in my info bar, when ever it goes above 65°C or so it's time to get out the hoover and a brush and give it a good cleaning.
Ok, I should have added 'if you already did clean a device this way before'

During my first apprenticeship as a radio+television technician we were always using hoovers and a brush to clean out electronic devices that were dust covered inside... And I still do it today, some decades later, but to make sure not to harm any surface smd or whatever parts in the pc I'd recommend to use a brush completely made of wood/plastic.
...and of course not using the motored carpet cleaner attached to the hoover but only a hose to suck away the dust you gently wipe with the brush.

cheers,

#7 - MrPB
Quote from rediske :I have a CPU Temperature thingy in my info bar, when ever it goes above 65°C or so it's time to get out the hoover and a brush and give it a good cleaning.

Okey do you know where i can get a CPU temp meter ?
#8 - MrPB
Quote from MaKaKaZo :Do you play any other 3D-graphics game? If not, it could be the graphics card causing an overheat. This happenned to me when I had to switch to al older graphics card for a couple of weeks when the one I had died. The older card generated a lot more heat and after a while playing LFS the system would reboot.

Thx for the answers!
No i dont really.. only GTR sometimes..
Yeah i also think that it is the graphic card that is overheating...
So if i get a better graphic card the problem shold be solved

//PB
I use a freeware temp application called SpeedFan. It's very lightweight and it provides enough info. Check it here:
http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

I haven't had any problem with this, it won't install any addware or malicious stuff, and as I said, it's pretty lightweight

Check you temperature right before starting playing LFS and then check from time to time. If it reboots, then start speedfan inmediately to check the temp after the reboot.
Complementary, you can use rivatuner or GPU-Z to take a look at the temperatures of your graphics card.
speedfan sucks.

it's not easy to troubleshoot thru a forum. it can be a million things that force the pc to shutdown.

first make sure it is not the cpu that forces a shut down. go find 'superpi' and do a 8M run. it will take some time. use google.

if it finishes ok, repeat with a 16M run. this will take more. if it finishes ok, your cpu must be ok.

open your pc. see if the vga fan works. if you don't know how to find the vga card, use google. if your vga card doesn't have a fan, get a new card. fanless cards are a bitch.

wish i could help more.

did it have this problem for long? or did it start only recently? motherboard dying/ fans failing/ or could be dust, too.
if i were you i'd check all components for temperature, by hand. i don't trust temperature monitors ever since i found out every one of them reports a different temperature. i have more different temperature values than i have sensors... it's insane.
Quote from MrPB :When Playing LFS on my stationary computer it just shuts down after one lap...
On my laptop it doesn't, the stationary computer is better than the laptop but it works fine on the laptop and on the stationary computer as well untill it shuts down for some strange reason???

Does anyone have the same problem?

Can it be that the stationary computer gets overheated?
If that's the problem, whats the sollution? Buy a bigger fan?

Thankful for answers

Kind regards //PB

it might be your PSU. How many watts is it? what brand? how old? If you think any of these point to a bad quality power supply, think about getting a new one.
Quote from MrPB :Okey do you know where i can get a CPU temp meter ?

I'm using 'hardware sensors monitor' reduces to a single °C number in the info bar. When clicked it also shows hdd temp, gpu temp and max values.
Get everest home edition from lavalys
And a cpu temp about 65 is high? Mine is that hot on normal 2d mode since 7 years. (sempron)
the case is open.
well, maybe the old ones are just damn quality goods :P

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG