The online racing simulator
Damage model...did you say DAMAGE MODEL?????
(34 posts, started )
Damage model...did you say DAMAGE MODEL?????
Burnout Paradise's and GTA IV's damage models are better then that
Quote from Scrabby :Burnout Paradise's and GTA IV's damage models are better then that

+1000000

The cars dont blend...
Watching things like that makes me *really* want them to remake Carmageddon, with today's technology.
#5 - bbman
Quote from Crashgate3 :Watching things like that makes me *really* want them to remake Carmageddon, with today's technology.

Best idea i've heard this year
Bumpers and hoods don't fly off of a car when you crash in real life.
hmm hoods mostly dissapear somewere in the rest of the metal and bumper they probably fly into hundreds of pieces
#9 - BAMBO
Burnout Paradise
DIRT
GRID
GTA4

All of those have good damage models, or cool ones. In GTA4 my favourite game is to reach full speed in a firetruck and T-bone a small car and see what a mess it turns into, my favourite it when the car catches fire and the driver runs out on fire.
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :
All of those have good damage models, or cool ones. In GTA4 my favourite game is to reach full speed in a firetruck and T-bone a small car and see what a mess it turns into, my favourite it when the car catches fire and the driver runs out on fire.

I've only played GTAIV once, but I had a blast fatally launching myself through the windshield into road signs. It's like FlatOut, with guns!
While the Burnout Paradise Damagemodel looks cool in videos and on screens, it still is the standard prescripted deformation used in many other games, just that it is done really well.
oh, bugbear you bunch of lazy bastards! This is nothing more than Flatout 2 with fresh shaders attached... same old damage model, same old tracks, same old cars... cross that one off my "to buy" list.
Burnout Paradise definately has the most convincing damage model. GRID isn't half bad either though.

Definately one area where proper sims are lagging behind IMO.
Quote from Rtsbasic :[...]GRID isn't half bad either though.[...]

I think GRID has one of the best damage models, and the most convincing. But of course, as Burnout is a fully destructible racing game, so its damage has to be better than the other games.. and I think EA did a pretty good job with Burnout Paradise

Quote from squidhead :oh, bugbear you bunch of lazy bastards! This is nothing more than Flatout 2 with fresh shaders attached... same old damage model, same old tracks, same old cars...[...]

Unfortunately it is. But it has more cars too, now the tracks have almost double objects to be destructable, and more particle effects. And I think (I really don't know) they've done more polygons on the cars.

But I still hopes this gets to PC because it has more cars on track (4 more cars, but that's something) and I always thought that FlatOut2 needed better shaders. But it feels a lot strange to say its another game, its just FlatOut2, they could have done this as a patch to the original game and put it on the official website for free download for those who bought FlatOut2 (I'm convinced they wouldn't).
What makes FlatOut2 damage overall look a bit weird is that all the pieces of the car flies off it so fast IMO. It looks a lot realistic when they start crashing, but you end up with that blending car with no pieces
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :

+1, i like to do that too.

I also had ablast on GTA4 last night. I got the annihilator, and a 2 star wanted level, and then hovered close to the ground. Then, when cop cars came near, i hit the car with the blades. Some of them spin, and some of them fly off really far. The best was when one came behind me, so i hit his car with the blades. He went about 50ft in the air, and landed on 3 other police cars, exploding on impact.
GTA 4 has nice damage model, but IMO nothing specially.
Bournout's crash modem is predictable and borring, and is nothing better than flatout's damage model. If you hti a wall in 100 or 300 km/h in BOP - you still just damage your front the same way. Crashing into something at 300 km/h is ... well there should be NOTHING left of a ordinary car's front then.
IMO BO is just bling-bling camera work.
Never played any of the other games you mentioned, but GTAIV really has a better damage model.
Even though you cant really compare it.
I do that online, seeing as most people congregate around the airport - just steal the plane tugger and, if you gather up enough momentum it is simply unstoppable and anything it hits gets completely pulverised....really pisses off people online too as it's virtually indestructible
The way the cars smash to pieces in Motorstorm is good, it is just really annoying having that stupid slow motion crash camera all the time :irked:
The BIG question is...how many of the games mentioned are available on PC?? The one I posted up in the first link is...but I honestly dont know about all the others.
buy a gameconsole, thats why ppl create it to play gaymes
Quote from Bladerunner :The BIG question is...how many of the games mentioned are available on PC?? The one I posted up in the first link is...but I honestly dont know about all the others.

as soon as GTA4 is available on PC I'm getting it

don't want to shell out £300+ for a ps3
you get a free Blu-Ray reader with it

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG