The online racing simulator
A new meaning to drifting
(203 posts, started )
Quote from Amso :When people say drifting Isnit an art, they should try driting perfectly with no training. I think it is an art because people chase perfection but not unfruitlessly, they have fun and they should be acepted just as normal racers.

Oh and here's a question, why is Drift unappreciated and Drag is fine?

+1
Why Drag appreciated? Because it's the most easy
Everyone can do it
I wouldn't say drifting is art .. just a sport.
Just like figure skating is a sport.
Syncronized swimming is a sport.

Maybe if you took some pictures of these you could have art, but not while doing them surely
Quote from Gills4life :I wouldn't say drifting is art .. just a sport.
Just like figure skating is a sport.
Syncronized swimming is a sport.

Maybe if you took some pictures of these you could have art, but not while doing them surely

Obviously the drifting that you see is poor, so you say it's not art.
Go to youtube, search for "best drifters" or dunno,if you wanna see some real action its:
"night drift", "street drift", "touge drift".
I believe no one else read it, but I did. Rajinn ftw. Best post I`ve read in this goddamn topic!
Quote from sanderman2000 :Obviously the drifting that you see is poor, so you say it's not art.
Go to youtube, search for "best drifters" or dunno,if you wanna see some real action its:
"night drift", "street drift", "touge drift".

You clearly do not understand what I am getting at

Drifting is a sport where you are judged and given points, figure skating is a sport where you are judged and given points, syncronized swimming is a sport where you are judged and given points .. they are sports!

You don't see many people saying "oooh lovely piece of artwork there" when Tiger Woods rips a drive down the fairway.

It doesn't matter how good it is either, it is a sport either way.

If the drift cars were stationary and had no function then you could call them art.
Well, i understand.....thats what you see "Pro drifting", i don't like it...because it's a pure sport and imho it's boring.

But to make it for yourself, when you feel the nature and your car in it going sideways and you control each millimetr with high presicion, it's an art in my eyes. To cause a car do something, that is hard to belive.
Maybe in your country you see too much Events and other shit,that are for $$$$$.......
There are many people, that do it for soul [and not to be best in competition].
this has nothing to do with money.

According to your flawed perception, anything which is well made is an art. That's just not true.
Anything which in the eyes of the beholder that is exceptional, or sees a perfection with it's own unique flaws, can be considered an art.
- Drifting is an art, please stop hating us!

- Are you kidding? Only hotlapping is an art and drifting is pathetic!

- What? Did you say hotlapping is an art? Let me laugh! only racing is an art, and hotlapping is ugly and stupid.

- What? Did you say racing is an art? Only racing with RWD cars is an art. FWD cars suck.

etc...etc...
Here's a few definitions of art:

-the creation of beautiful or significant things

-a superior skill that you can learn by study and practice and observation

-human effort to imitate, supplement, alter, or counteract the work of nature; The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colours, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the sense of beauty, specifically the production of the beautiful in a graphic or plastic.

I believe that trough those definitions we can come to the conclusion that every motor sport is an art.
#136 - ssm
Didn't they discuss this in Top Gear when they were talking about the new Alfa 8C? About how art is defined as something useless for anything other then to look at?

Drifting may seem useless but it is a good way to train for performance driving.
You're going to listen to a definition made by a fat, self-proclaimed doctor, a midget, and a gay middle-aged hippy?
#138 - ssm
Quote from Ca18Slider :You're going to listen to a definition made by a fat, self-proclaimed doctor, a midget, and a gay middle-aged hippy?

I think Jezza quoted an art curator or something, I need to watch that episode again. But, I think Top Gear is the funniest and one of the more accurate car shows out there. I remember listening to a Cnet car review podcast, and they were describing the WRX as having a twin turbo inline four.
As a relative newcomer (actually, a long-time returner) I've got the unique opportunity of looking at this thread with an completely open mind.

I don't see what the issue here is at all. If drifting is what people want to do, let them do it. So long as they are doing it in drift races / competitions, and it doesn't get in the way of anybody elses enjoyment, then I see nothing wrong in just letting them get on with it. It's not like they invade race servers and tear the tarmac up
Quote from dawguk :as A Relative Newcomer (actually, A Long-time Returner) I've Got The Unique Opportunity Of Looking At This Thread With An Completely Open Mind.

I Don't See What The Issue Here Is At All. If Drifting Is What People Want To Do, Let Them Do It. So Long As They Are Doing It In Drift Races / Competitions, And It Doesn't Get In The Way Of Anybody Elses Enjoyment, Then I See Nothing Wrong In Just Letting Them Get On With It. It's Not Like They Invade Race Servers And Tear The Tarmac Up

+1.000.000
I need more drifting skills in racing that racing skills in drifting. If I couldn`t control my car like I do, I would have spun every time the car starts sliding. And, I don`t know, I`ve done 99% drifting only in past 4 months when I`ve owned S2 licence, and I won some guy in FXR TWICE in a row with XRR. Maybe it`s my powerover driving style or...? Don`t know how experienced the other guy was, but he definitely wasn`t slow.

+ It`s quite easy to control the formula`s which have very little steering angle and traction control off. Not hard to make small drifts through the corner. And I`ve won two FBM races and came second on third one, and won one BF1 race too. And now the FXR vs. XRR race in Aston.
You mean you beat a guy in a slower car TWICE?!

I must drift NOW!

</sarcasm>

Drifting (and all other sorts of dicking-about-over-the-limit) improves your car control (and it's part of the reason why I hardly ever spin) - the good drifters (i.e. the good mature ones like Matrixi etc) also happen to be good racers as they have good car-driving-skills. To say that this can help you racing is correct, but i'm willing to bet if you spent 6 months drifting or 6 months racing you'd be better at racing if you did the latter (obviously!).
Quote from Jakg :i'm willing to bet if you spent 6 months racing or 6 months racing you'd be better at racing if you did the latter

Or perhaps you could just do 6 months racing and then 6 months racing. Not to mention that racing for 6 months would definitely be on par with racing for 6 months.
Oh cock. Fixed!
Quote from Jakg :You mean you beat a guy in a slower car TWICE?!

I must drift NOW!

</sarcasm>

You got it all wrong.

I didn`t even know FXR was a slower car. But I caught him just becouse I could corner alot better than he did.

I don`t think you can really be a good driver if you can`t do whatever you want to with your car and still have 100% control over it?

How many of you racers have full control on your car no matter what happens? (This is a real question, not trying to be cocky about it.)

And probably I`m not a mature person. Even though I CAN race and I CAN drift and I CAN control my vehicle how ever I want to.

Edit: Those racers who think drifting requires no skill at all and only monkeys do it, you should really reconsider your thoughts after seeing this clip.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ffGpxPUfzmw

If you still think it requires no skill, please show us this sort of driving yourself.
Since the thoughts are straying yet again, as always, to the "drifting will make you a better racer" thoughts, let's clear this little bit up....

To drift, in the sense that this topic is about, is to slide the car sideways and hold the angle as long as possible to look as good as possible. In drifting, to get the car drifting is, well, done on purpose.

In racing, you don't drift, or you don't drift in this sense. Drifting is an entirely different meaning and it doesn't mean the rear end sliding out. Four wheel drift is what would be refered to when talking drift in racing, but that's a seperate topic. From here on, the term "drift" will be assumed I am meaning drifting as in the sport where you slide the rear end at extreme angles and hold it.

So, now we look at drifting in racing. It is called a slide, oversteer, or a mistake. It is something that is NOT done on purpose, nor when it happens, do you want to maximize it and hold it. When the car oversteers and the tail kicks out, you want to MINIMIZE the slide, catch it, and recover. It's a completely different thing than drifting.

Thus, if you think about it, drifting skills would be detrimental to a racing lap if you would happen to use them if you make a mistake and the rear slides out.

The skill of catching and recovering a slide is a racing skill. In no way can the statement be made that "with drift skills you will be a better racer." This is because, to be a better racer, you will already have the skill of car control and oversteer recovery, 2 very basic skills that is necessary for racing, far before "drifting" had ever happened.

Disclaimer: In no way should it be assumed that I state drifting does not take any skill in the above text. I only want to point out the difference between drifting and slide control in racing.....
You're also forgetting, rodgers, that doing something (drifting) can help you learn about something that is relative to it in terms of what is happening ( car control).
As I've said, car control and oversteer recovery is 2 basic skills needed to race. Thus, you can't learn about something from drifting when you already know it.

Racers are not the idiots that don't know anything about car control as the drifters vocal in this forum seem to think....
Quarnis @ The video is excellent. There are very few people how can perform such things in whole LFS.And who tried to do it with years of practice[and didn't sucess] knows whats their skill in the video.

Rodgers @ give me a break.You talking like it's 2 different worlds, and Racers can recover cars from any situations as good, as professional drifters can do it [it's a bit different level of reflexes]. Sometimes happen, when you got hit in rear end by somebody and spin is unavoidable, but even with G25 on 720 or 900 degree the reflex just does the immidiate movement and the car is back.
I am not saying that Racers can't do it....i just hate,when people talk about racing like it's something not related to other parts of car driving.
I think that every skill can help you in something, and if i was learning 2 wheels driving, that could help to recover from flipping on some FE tracks for example [not that it happens alot].
I think: It's very important to know what is Racing about and what is Drifting about,and to know to use best of it.
Quote from sanderman2000 :Rodgers @ give me a break.You talking like it's 2 different worlds

Exactly! It is 2 different worlds. For drifting, you want the skill to be able to hold the drift, in racing you want the skill to be able to recover from a slide. I'm not stating that drifters wouldn't be able to recover from a slide. I'm just trying to counter the statement that these threads from drifters always make, "drifting makes you a better racer because you know car control." It is a statement that assumes that drifters have a skill that racers do not, which is a false statement.

A new meaning to drifting
(203 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG