The online racing simulator
Lotus 7 modernized
(95 posts, started )
#1 - JJ72
Lotus 7 modernized
Without judging whether it looks good or not, I think it's interesting. About the only mix of the 7 concept with a modern design.

although at 700kg it's 300 more than a 7 variant should be, and 80,000 pounds is about 2 times over-priced, but its afterall engineered by ex-prodrive rally team members. see it as a tourer of 7s if you like.

and btw, the name is Aspid, under IFR Automotive.
I like the idea of modern Lotus 7.

But this is what I would consider a modern version:
http://www.bruntonauto.com/ss.jpg
OK, it's barely changed!

To me, the images you have posted show a bloated modern version with unnecessary electronics, e.g. the wheel and sat nav system or whatever it is.

Isn't the whole point of a 7 to be a no-frills drivers car? OK, maybe those electronic gizmo's are the only 'excess' but I highly doubt it. It looks as though it has been made into a more comfortable road going version.

I'd love to see what they could do simply by using modern materials and keeping it simple at the same time. A step in evolution, rather than a complete redesign.

also........it looks crap! WAAAAY to Americanised in its styling IMO.
Oh come on that thing is completely hideous, it looks more like a damn chrystler then a Lotus 7. Thats a good way to waste some money. And those headlights are fugly.
+1 to the Chrysler, wheel electronic dial, and headlights comments. But the idea of having an idea of having new Lotus7 is good. (repetition on purpose)
That reminds me of a Donkervoort.

Erm, surely a Caterham is a modernised Seven?
#6 - JJ72
a technically moderned Seven of course, this is more about design language and creature-comfortwise.
It's an ugly son of a bitch, that's for sure. I can't pick what's so disgusting about it, but it just feels unnatural. It's like something Batman would drive.

And the lights on the front are the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

The Lotus Evora is far cooler.
Oh my god! They raped Seven! Bastards!
Fugly
People at Prodrive apparently don't understand why people still drive Sevens.
As far as looks go, I could probably forgive some of the stylistic cliches they've gone for but they should of stuck to those cliches for the headlight/combo things they got sticking out there instead of trying to be innovative with them. Unless they are miniature missile pods, in which case they're far too anime-styled for my taste as well.
Quote from xaotik :As far as looks go, I could probably forgive some of the stylistic cliches they've gone for ...

If they hadn't doubled the weight of the car.

Speaking of which, someone parked a Superlight R300 outside my house yesterday - was going to see if me and the girlfriend could pick it up and get it in my back garden before he came back but he was too quick.
#13 - pipa
Wouldnt call it ugly right away. It looks very different makes it interesting to me.
LX8 anyone? That thing is fugly
I don't think there is anything wrong with the original Lotus 7, I was working on a Lotus Super 7 when I did my work experience and they are nice cars, I suppose they could do with more upto date technology but not to much because they are nice basic cars and I think they should stay that way.
tbh a modern 7 would be basicly a seven but using things like carbon fibre alot more, to bring the weight down even more and a maybe more clever engine with a better power to weight ratio(though the highabusa(sp)does a good job) and maybe a couple of not too intrusive electronic gizmos like tc, that must be able to be turned off of course, and a 7 dont need air con, it already has it its call nrff air con, no roof fing fast air con were the temp it changed by you right foot lol
I don't think it looks that bad, but what the heck where they thinking with those headlights? :uglyhamme
its "mouth" also needs to be rounder, and less Chrysler-ish
Quote from james12s :tbh a modern 7 would be basicly a seven but using things like carbon fibre alot more

Then you would actually have to get someone to stop your car floating away on windy days
That looks absolutely hideous. Just terrible looking. A mismatch of "robotic theme" styling elements.

I've often dreamed (seriously) about a modernized 7. If I had to build one in my garaged from a salvaged Miata drivetrain, what could I do to improve the styling? After going around in circles I inevitably end up with something that looks like an Atom. The hardest part to deal with is the abrupt and very square rear end.

I think the Westfield does the best job at modernizing the 7 look. Lose the round headlights for some streamlined motorcycle-like units, and we're 90% of the way there. The last 10% is that damned awful square trunk:

Too big jump from previous to next. Headlights are terrible. Wheel base looks unproportional. And steering wheel is ultra uncomfortable for sure.

Don't mind this, its only my opinion.
Quote from J@tko :Then you would actually have to get someone to stop your car floating away on windy days

yh but imagine an engine with a higher power to weight ratio that a highabusa in a car that weighs less than a piece of paper, me thinks:fun, very scaring but f*****g excellent lol (oh and rather quick)
It looks like the man in charge of the Chinese car industry's cheap rip off department has come along and mashed a Seven and a 300C together with hideous results.

I think trying to look for a 'modern Seven' is silly, a Seven is the quintessential spaceframe box with for wheels two seats and an engine in the front, there's very little you can do with it to make it stiff enough to cope with high power outputs because of the highly limited space for cross bracing a full rollcage is about the only way of getting away with it. They have put carbon fibre bodywork, sequential 'boxes and very good lightweight bike derived V8s, which the design can't handle, into them. The Seven doesn't need to (and can't really) evolve into anything else it is about as simple and cheap as a car can get and should be left like that.
Looks like from the same idiots pen who did Subaru Impreza 2002, and I didn't like that either. Redesing the lamps (and bit of the rear), without making a Chrysler Prowler 2, and you got a winner.
Quote from ajp71 :It looks like the man in charge of the Chinese car industry's cheap rip off department has come along and mashed a Seven and a 300C together with hideous results.

I think trying to look for a 'modern Seven' is silly, a Seven is the quintessential spaceframe box with for wheels two seats and an engine in the front, there's very little you can do with it to make it stiff enough to cope with high power outputs because of the highly limited space for cross bracing a full rollcage is about the only way of getting away with it. They have put carbon fibre bodywork, sequential 'boxes and very good lightweight bike derived V8s, which the design can't handle, into them. The Seven doesn't need to (and can't really) evolve into anything else it is about as simple and cheap as a car can get and should be left like that.

i do agrre withn you here that the seven ahould be left as is but if you were to modernise it you would redesgn it using a carbon fiber body and maybe chassis so it could handle the power but keep the look
Quote from james12s :yh but imagine an engine with a higher power to weight ratio that a highabusa in a car that weighs less than a piece of paper, me thinks:fun, very scaring but f*****g excellent lol (oh and rather quick)

Clicky

Lotus 7 modernized
(95 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG