The online racing simulator
Agree to disagree?
Consider it done.

:Handshake
Returning in topic, why don't we have an "auto handbrake at start" function like atm that can be disabled from some option menù?
Something like the throttle blip or the throttle cut helps.
If someone want that, well, use it. If some other one want all manual, well, will do all manual at start.

I don't see where is the problem
please remove the auto handbrake
When leaving the pits, lined up at the starting grid for race start, or when the car is completely stopped(hand-brake applied after stop) the hand-brake stays on, regardless if the button or axis is: not pressed, or in the neutral "zero" position. The only way to disengage the hand-brake is to apply enough torque to get the car moving. You can test it yourself, if you do not already know, by pulling out of the pits in a any type of car. From there pull to a complete stop and reactivate the hand-brake, if you release the hand brake you will see that the brake indicator light is still on. If you are on a hill after releasing the hand-brake, the car will not move. (I will upload a .spr)

This is a hindrance when taking off from the grid or pulling out of the garage with a low-torque first gear because the car can not move freely until there is enough torque applied. However, the auto hand-brake is still needed because there are start positions and pit garages that are not perfectly level. If the auto hand brake were not there, the start grid would be chaos because people would forget to apply and hold their hand-brake button or axis causing many penalties and forced pits.

I have come up with a solution to prevent the start grid chaos if the auto hand-brake were ever removed:

Keep the initial auto hand-brake feature, however when the hand-brake is activated manually, deactivate auto hand-brake so that if the hand-brake were to be released it would also be released in game.

In the replay, I fully demonstrate that my hand-brake is working properly and that the brake stays on when stopped, even if the brake is only applied a small amount, to the best of my abilities. I recommend trying it your self because I have no way of proving that I am not holding the hand-brake my self.

Be sure to go to Options> Display> Pedals: yes, and to spectate in a view where the pedals will be shown.

Replay obsolete, new replay 6 posts down.
Attached files
[4OO] D. Locker_BL1_LX4.spr - 194 KB - 216 views
I havent seen the replay but im sure you have auto clutch on, so it is the clutch axis that you are seeing.I hope you already noticed that

Not thats the handbrake.
On the grids its useful (bl1, /wo it you would be rolling down)
but its a bit annoying that it gets standing when yuo pushed it one time while standing
My suggestion would be not to automatically apply the handbrake ever and remove the handbrake from the single seaters and GTR cars. Instead the foot brake could be applied when necessary.
I kind of like the handbrake staying on. It comes in handy occasionally. I could live without it but I dont think it makes enough of a difference.
Quote from vlado_skopsko :I havent seen the replay but im sure you have auto clutch on, so it is the clutch axis that you are seeing.I hope you already noticed that

No, its not the clutch I know which axis my clutch is on + if you had watched the replay you would have seen that it is the hand brake.

Quote from Stefani24 :Not thats the handbrake.
On the grids its useful (bl1, /wo it you would be rolling down)
but its a bit annoying that it gets standing when yuo pushed it one time while standing

Quote from ajp71 :My suggestion would be not to automatically apply the handbrake ever and remove the handbrake from the single seaters and GTR cars. Instead the foot brake could be applied when necessary.

Quote from AjRose :I kind of like the handbrake staying on. It comes in handy occasionally. I could live without it but I dont think it makes enough of a difference.

Oooh, an even better idea came to me out of all of those ideas!

Make auto hand-brake an option in the controls section just like auto clutch. However auto hand-brake will have to be on initially on race start to prevent penalties.

Sorry the Replay is now out of date from the official patch. I will make a new one.
-
(legoflamb) DELETED by legoflamb : wrong reply
New replay
I finally added a proper ebrake to my cockpit... and would like the option of removing the auto handbrake as well. OP makes a valid point
Would be nice if you could just tap the handbrake button while your sitting still and it would turn off.
Why not just make a Parking brake and Handbrake ?
Quote from runeman :Why not just make a Parking brake and Handbrake ?

A parking brake is the same thing as a handbrake.
A Handbrake uses a ratchet system, so in a road car, it can be locked on anyway.
Quote from BlueFlame :A Handbrake uses a ratchet system, so in a road car, it can be locked on anyway.

I have aforementioned ratchet system for my sim seat, if anyone else does then they,as well as me, don't need LFS to lock the hand-brake.

I made a proposition for an option to turn off the auto hand-brake that could be put in place so that the people that don't have a hand-brake, on an axis with, a ratchet system could still lock their hand-brake in LFS.
Frankly, I'd be damn annoyed if my car's handbrake came off as soon as I let go after applying it, but maybe that's just me.

As soon as you select a gear and disengage the clutch, the handbrake comes off anyway. It never causes a problem when moving off, it's been designed not to.

Quote :Would be nice if you could just tap the handbrake button while your sitting still and it would turn off.

Although this would be a good idea, the best way of modelling a real handbrake.

Sam
Quote from Dark Elite :Frankly, I'd be damn annoyed if my car's handbrake came off as soon as I let go after applying it, but maybe that's just me.

As soon as you select a gear and disengage the clutch, the handbrake comes off anyway. It never causes a problem when moving off, it's been designed not to.

Sam

I have a real handbrake on my controls... so it stays up on its own

http://picasaweb.google.com/da ... _test#5242186150577893810

but to be honest... after play with my handbrake setup for a couple days... the auto handbrake isn't as annoying as I thought. I would still like the option to turn it off... but its fine that its there.
-
(runeman) DELETED by runeman
Quote from legoflamb :I have aforementioned ratchet system for my sim seat, if anyone else does then they,as well as me, don't need LFS to lock the hand-brake.

I made a proposition for an option to turn off the auto hand-brake that could be put in place so that the people that don't have a hand-brake, on an axis with, a ratchet system could still lock their hand-brake in LFS.

Ah, I understand. Yes I +1 this idea
Quote from Dark Elite :Frankly, I'd be damn annoyed if my car's handbrake came off as soon as I let go after applying it, but maybe that's just me.

Sam

I have never mentioned completely removing the automatic hand-brake feature from LFS entirely, only the proposal for an option to have it turned off if the option has been selected.

People have a brake setup similar to TehSt1g. Like this one right here.
YES, YES, YES I'm very agree!

About analog configured handbrake:
I'm using the analog handbrake system, and there is feature what should be more realistic in LFS as it is now - in my opinion.
Button handbrake behaviour is OK, but if handbrake is set to analog handbrake controller, then if stop the car and analog handbrake is only little activated for very short time (half only) and then is released physically, but LFS software leave the handbrake fully activated. If button handbrake is configured, it is good solution. But analog handbrake, in the software should have same behaviour exactly as physically analog handbrake. There should be same position or level of handbrake activation in LFS as real position or level activation of real analog handbrake, regardless if car is moving or stopped. Analog handbrake automatic activation can be accepted before first start in race (to avoid the penalities for car move before race start), but once the car is moved from start position, at each next stop should be the analog handbrake real behaviour exactly same as actual position of real analog handbrake. I know, that there are users with rallye/race type of handbrake, and actual version is optimised for this rallye type of handbrake without arrestment. But there are also road cars in game, and I have installed handbrake with arrestment (from classic road car), what can be activated full brake for any long time without pressing the button or keeping of handbrake. For this type of handbrakes, there can be update of real behaviour of analog handbrake in LFS. For better flexibility, it can be expanded with additional checkbox (or ON/OFF switch/button) in LFS software, for switch between old automatic handbrake activation (as it is now - rallye type), and between new recommended analog handbrake real behaviour. Can be realized it in LFS?
Doesn't the cold body turn you off?
What?
It would be nice if the auto handbrake was tick able. So if you don't want to auto handbrake when you are still you can remove it
Quote from TehSt1g :I finally added a proper ebrake to my cockpit... and would like the option of removing the auto handbrake as well. OP makes a valid point

Me too

So I don't demand same option for all, not every body has a handbrake, but I miss an option to disable auto-handbrake

Auto handbrake discussion
(231 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG