The online racing simulator
James Watt
(11 posts, started )
James Watt
Hi everyone,

I still studying at school at I have a véry cool subject on school named "science".Now please; don't fall a sleep !

I've to do a 'thesis', a sort of work about a scientist his life and work. As the topic title makes clear, I have to a thesis about James Watt! Not too difficult, every little bit smart person knows he made a upgraded version of the steaming machine (and some other stuff). Now I've searched at google for my most info, after 15 number of site's you soon see the (exact) same explanation and information coming up on every site you click, I thought; "just go to the library!" I was planning to do that but...it burned down yesterday night ! :banghead:

Now I was wondering, are there any scientist among you or people who have very good information about J. Watt (perhaps students at a uni who can acces special database's for info's or so)?
I'm looking for some 'funny things to know about his life' and
(most important of all) an answer to the question: "Why was his work so important for the human evolution/further scientific research ?"

As I said, I know the most common things as what he invented, when he was born,...already from google etc... But I find it quiet hard to answer on that one question. Well I have an answer, but perhaps some smart guys like you know something more you can't find on the net ?!

Cheers and thanks ahead,
GC
I'm not a physicist, but as I've just found, he upgraded the steam engine to a version usable in a locomotive and then patented it (locomotive).

See the attachment. I guess this is what he invented.
Attached images
watt.gif
locomotive.gif
#3 - ORION
Gabe Newell also updated the steam engine, but it wasnt even a lic important for the human evolution
Obviously the steam machine and the upgrade of it, improving the % of profit by it compared to the investment of energy in it flattens the earth for further inventions, but anyone has an idea what sort of inventions ? Thought about transport (as detail said: trains) but..those are outdated, any modern inventions we still use based on Watt his invention?

@Detail:
Thanks for the drawings, didn't had those yet ! And yes, that's what he did, he actually did not invent the steaming machine, but he just upgraded it so it would have a higher 'remendement', making it possible to use in boats (e.g the well known "mississipi river boats"; American civil war), use in trains, machines for factories,.. and he took a patent on thàt, but someone else made the steaming machine 1st, so our history books are actually wrong ! (ah feels good to say )

@Orion:
Ok ok, but I can't use that jumping banana in my thesis can I ?!
Im no fizzy-cist either but Id hazzard a guess that without the steam engine there would have been no industrial revolution. They were used for everything from locomotives to powering factories and mills, literally cogs and axles moving weaving looms and grinding wheels and ...... everything. It enabled mass production.
#6 - Tukko
school is boring GC.. illepall just tell that he liked steam machines and flowers, write some imaginary story about his difficult marriage and join us online @ sccc racing server
Wikipedia is usually pretty good for that sort of stuff if you haven't looked there yet.

Power is also named after him, e.g. 60Watt lightbulb. As if you didn't know......
Yes Wikipedia is a good source,thanks I'll look into it.

@Mantis:

Hmm I looked at it and you're right, it made mass production availlable on that moment, thanks, I'll write some stuff about that!

I'm at 8 pages now, 2 more need to find
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I looked that in Wikipedia too. But being a wikipedian I assumed that everyone already knows it and didn't bother mentioning.

This is the article
Quote from detail :
This is the article

Oooh handy stuff !

Well since our stupid school is running behind in the modern age, we still have to write tasks by hand, specially these 'thesis'. So I didn't bothered much looking up the internet, was going for books but now that bloody library...

Cheers and thanks for help everyone ! LFS Community pwns !
Quote from thisnameistaken :Does the friends list work yet? I like the way it has a friends list that hasn't worked for about five years.

not tried the beta yet as nobody of my mates is plaing cs atm...
we'll see...

James Watt
(11 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG