The online racing simulator
#1 - nilo
small USB steering device thing
Hi,

i'm looking for a small, non-stationary USB steering device for on-the-go racing (train, hotel, ...).

Something similar to this:

http://rc-mushroom.com/product ... 141&products_id=10099

but better. Separate axes for steering and breaking for example. And maybe smaller?

Thought about building something by myself. If I had the time...

Any Tips?
A pad is a good portative device to use with LFS. I used Logitech RumblePad quite succesfully in time. Maybe thats a good alternative for you?
How small is small ?

Thrustmaster used to make a fairly small wheel a few years ago. (maybe they still do ?) It's got/had 2 progressive axis flappy paddle thingys on the wheel for the throttle and brake (no pedals needed) and the whole wheel itself including the casing was no bigger than....erm....a smallish bag

Give me a few mins i'll see if i can find a link with some dimensions.

[edit] http://www.geeks.com/details.a ... _GEEKVAC-_-GEEKVACproduct
8inch wheel, the casings not much bigger so in total it's probably no more than 9 inch by 9 inch. It's far far from the best quality but at only $4.99 you can't go wrong.

Need something smaller ?
It is for a Playstation 2, but all you'll need is one of them little usb/PS2 adapter things. It does work on PC trust me, i had one (briefly).

And it is very very small, so small in fact i kept getting my thumbs stuck in the wheel
PS2-style pads work perfectly well with LFS. Combined throttle and brake on the right stick, steering on the other, gears clutch and so-on on the buttons. Cheap too
Got to say that a gamepad probably is the best and smallest solution. Although it does take a while to get used to it. It took me ages to get comfortable with one on GPbikes, but once you've put the time in, it is quite a good way to drive/ride/race.
Yeah I know they do I had one also..

Heres one that has every thing built into the wheel but its out of Hong Kong, Taiwan, and China. They dont have the prices, but I guess you will have to contact them to get prices. It says the gas and brake is built into the wheel so you wont have any pedals to deal with.

http://www.mindtech-group.com/ ... sb-racing-wheels_eng.html
Ide like to see if i ould hook My KO from racing up to LFS

A
I'm not certain of this, but i have heard of somesort of device type thing that lets you control RC airplanes in a computer games with that sort of controller. Can't remember the name of the game or what equipment you need, but it can be done.

If you really want to try it, then Google is indeed your friend.
I'm pretty sure there is an adapter for your KO radio. I know Virtual Racing made an adapter for my Airtronics M8 for the computer.
#13 - nilo
Yep, there is a generic adapter that hooks up to a receiver. It's even wireless then
yes there is an adapter that allows you to use any radio with vrc or any game, it connects to the reciever and powers it from the usb, i have one and it works great, i use it for vrc and have used it in lfs, works fine, one of (if not the main) developers is actually an lfs racer and is here on the forums, its jtw

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG