The online racing simulator
New Great Simulation Games
(133 posts, started )
Quote from 5haz :People here will always tell you that rFactor isnt a sim, because they are hellbent on bashing rFactor, most of these people have probrably never played rFactor, but just follow the 'ringleaders' because they are unable to think for themselves.

rFactor is still infierior to LFS though.

I have tried, but i still don't like rFactor. There is no feeling with the cars (did not try that realfeel plugin, but basic stuff like that should not need plugins). Too bad, i like the fact that there are a lot of mods for it (pain in the *ss for pickup racing but great for leagues), but i can't drive them. I have the same problem for GTR2 and Race07 (wish i had a money back offer for those, i never play them).
Quote from Jamesisinthehouse12 :Turismo Carretera - link doesn't work... please give me a valid link

It's slow, but it works.
Quote from Juls :Rally Trophy is a *NEW* simulation?
Wow....then I am very young

Well, it's not new although I did buy it last week from Oxfam ... 99p well spent I think
Quote from marzman :It's slow, but it works.

my internet is capped at the moment, so that probley laggs out
Quote from marzman :If LFS is for a "niche" marked, i wunder how they call the market for this

I guess there are more farmers than racers. Also farming is a bit more useful to human kind than just polluting air and burning fuel for the sake of it .

Here is a legend racing sim that we oldies played a lot:

http://www.abandonia.com/en/ga ... 500+-+The+Simulation.html

+ awesome graphics (for its time) and stunning sound effects (falling parts (triangles) off the car are so funny I always end up driving in reverse )
+ first sim with ability to modify setups?
+ very good immersion (try to drive backwards with full grid :razz
+ good, aggressive AI
+ doesn't require latest HW !
- your FF wheel probably won't work
- only one oval track
- single player only

DOSBox emulator is recommended to play

And no one mentioned Racer, free simulation (well, free as in free beer):

http://www.racer.nl/

+ free
+ nice clean gfx
+ ability to easy create new cars and track (never tried myself tho)
+ tons of cars and tracks if you have time to search through all the broken links and different versions
- hard to get good ones, specially those that actually have cockpit view
- tyres feel like bricks (at least to me) and collision system is not something to call home for
+ native win32, linux and mac (hey, it must be rewarded for x-platform programming)
Quote from MonkOnHotTinRoof :I guess there are more farmers than racers. Also farming is a bit more useful to human kind than just polluting air and burning fuel for the sake of it .

Farming is indeed more useful, but sim-farming isn't
um... yeah
Quote from Jamesisinthehouse12 :Post all the Reasonably New Simulations here which look hopefull or have good physics

*cough* *cough*

Quote from MonkOnHotTinRoof :Here is a legend racing sim that we oldies played a lot:

http://www.abandonia.com/en/ga ... 500+-+The+Simulation.html

+ awesome graphics (for its time) and stunning sound effects (falling parts (triangles) off the car are so funny I always end up driving in reverse )
+ first sim with ability to modify setups?
+ very good immersion (try to drive backwards with full grid :razz
+ good, aggressive AI
+ doesn't require latest HW !
- your FF wheel probably won't work
- only one oval track
- single player only

DOSBox emulator is recommended to play

um... yeah
damn, even the farming simulator has weather effects!
Just tryed the MX Simulator, takes some time to get used to but is pretty good fun once you've got the hang of it. Thanks for the Link wildwilly!
#61 - Juls
Reasonably new....
GT legends from 2005 is still reasonably new.
Richard Burns is already old but it is the only rally sim we have.

But sorry, rally trophy (2001!) is OLD....if you take it every other sim since 1990 will follow

Edit: OMG there is GPL too...1998... then you need to add Virtual Grand Prix 1, which was released on Amiga in 1998 too...maybe racing sims from the 80's?
Move Grand Prix Legends up. Gran Turismo doesn't deserve to be anywhere near it.
another one i thought of is:
Realflight G4 - Remote Control Plane/Heli simulator. I've tried just about every RC sim i can find and this one (to me anyway) feels closest to the real thing when you use it with an RC controller, and it can make a world of difference if you practice on the sim before trying the real thing (i know from experience). I would give it a very good.
Nobody mentioned netKar pro
Quote from Benja1972 :Nobody mentioned netKar pro

Well remember!
Nobody had cited the GTR, GTR 2 and Race and Race 07 too.
And looking up in Simbin site is there 'To be announced': STCC the game

edit: ow, and I forget, BMW M3 Challange

btw, Test Drive Unlimited is a simulator?
Quote from pwrguido :btw, Test Drive Unlimited is a simulator?

Not really, although it's definately more realistic than average arcade racing game such as NFS:9873249 or GRID. I'd call it true arcade racing game because cars actually feel like cars and overall immersion is pretty good.

...and because I love cruising around in Ferrari F40 or 512 TR
I wouldn't call it a racing simulator but a city driving sim. (TDU)

The cars don't feel extremly good but are OK in hardcore mode. The overall idea is to drive around the city with expensive cars and race and get more expensive cars :P. So it's kinda like a simulation of a life in Hawaii :P.
GTL is rated the same as TDU?

They're in a totally different league. If TDU is "Good", then GTL should be "Very Good".

I still think rFactor deserves to be in the same league with LFS. If previous installments of Grand Tourismo is any yardstick, rFactor blows it away for realism. rFactor and GT don't belong together.

Either:
- rFactor and GTLegends both go into "Very Good"; or
- rFactor goes into "Awesome" and GTLegends into "Very Good".

At the moment, they really look out of place.

Quote :convincing != accurate
and ive given up on isi content a long time ago when i saw the tyre curves on the vast majority of cars

A vehicle simulation doesn't need to be physically accurate. It only needs to be convincing.

Even military flight simulators aren't completely physically accurate. But they are convincing enough to be useful training aids.
#69 - JJ72
It does.......at least I can feel the really good mods are different from the rest, and they are always more accurate and done scientifically. So if it's accurate it's convincing for me.
Quote from samjh :A vehicle simulation doesn't need to be physically accurate. It only needs to be convincing.

yes they do thats the entire point... and it cant possibly be convincing if the tyres have no semblance of reality in them
just take any rfactor mod and get the car sideways... if you believe thats convincing youve probably never sat behind the wheel of a car

Quote :Even military flight simulators aren't completely physically accurate. But they are convincing enough to be useful training aids.

1) im sure they are far more accurate than the vast majority of rfactor mods and anything else based on isi simply because they have proper data to feed the sim with instead of made up tyres geometries etc
2) a professional flight sim usually could do with fairly simplistic physics since those arent the goal of flight sim training... training how to use the cockpit to fire missiles at blips on your radar that youll never see up close and how to navigate needs far less physics interaction than driving round a single corner
Quote from Shotglass :yes they do thats the entire point...

No. The point of a simulation is just that, to simulate. Not to recreate.

I don't know how much study you have done in this field, but I did quite a bit of work in creating VR simulations at university, particularly in the industrial training context. Immersion - or perception of reality - is actually more important than physical realism.

It is entirely possible to create convincing behaviour in an environment without actually modelling it mathematically with real physical data. Of course it's nice when it is modelled on the real thing, but it isn't necessary. And one only needs to make something convincing within the parameters of the simulation.

Quote :just take any rfactor mod and get the car sideways... if you believe thats convincing youve probably never sat behind the wheel of a car

Slip angle behaviour is a known problem in rFactor, even hard core fans admit it.

However, the behaviour of cars in the best-made mods in rFactor are convincing enough, as long as you don't abuse them.

Quote :1) im sure they are far more accurate than the vast majority of rfactor mods and anything else based on isi simply because they have proper data to feed the sim with instead of made up tyres geometries etc

Eh? I'm not comparing ISI games with flight sims. I'm merely pointing out that even flight simulators used in the military are not 100% physically simulated, so simulation can be achieved even without perfect physical modelling.

Quote :2) a professional flight sim usually could do with fairly simplistic physics since those arent the goal of flight sim training... training how to use the cockpit to fire missiles at blips on your radar that youll never see up close and how to navigate needs far less physics interaction than driving round a single corner

Professional flight sims are used for a wide range of training scenarios, including stall and spin recovery, which do require accurate reactions to control inputs. However processing power is finite, so you'll often find that simulations are strong at some aspects of its modelling, while weak - or even unsimulated - in other parts.

LFS is not the best simulation, and neither is rFactor, but they are good simulators with their own flaws. rFactor's big flaw is its tyres, which don't behave realistically when slip angles exceed some arbitary values, with the result that the cars do not recover properly from oversteer. LFS's damage system is dismally weak compared to rFactor's, and it doesn't simulate aerodynamic drag properly, something that rFactor does better.

Putting down a sim just because it has some flaws, is not doing it justice, IMHO. Grand Prix Legends has the same tyre flaw as rFactor, but hardly anyone complains about that. GT Legends doesn't suffer the same problem as rFactor, but has a big flaw of its own (brakes don't behave properly at high speed). It's important to be objective and not judge too harshly on competing sims just because this is a LFS community.
Quote from samjh :I don't know how much study you have done in this field

i have quite a bit of experience and knowledge of the code and use of real simulators used in the design process and scientific research

Quote :I did quite a bit of work in creating VR simulations at university, particularly in the industrial training context. Immersion - or perception of reality - is actually more important than physical realism.

for one i strongly disagree and even if you were correct rfactor would still be rubbish by your standards since it teaches you the complete opposite of how to deal with oversteer which can be dangerous for inexperienced drivers
normally youd countersteer and any simulation thats supposed to be useful for training should represent that in rfactor all that achieves is spinning even faster and the solution is to steer more

Quote :It is entirely possible to create convincing behaviour in an environment without actually modelling it mathematically with real physical data.

yes thats whats called an arcade game... drives convincingly has all the obvious characteristics (eg 4 wheels) but its not a simulation
anyone (eg you) whos been around long enough to know how much of a difference a tiny little change in the rear suspension geometry of the xrt did to its handling will sure be able to conclude that the usual guesswork which goes into rfactor mods does not represent the real cars handling

Quote :Slip angle behaviour is a known problem in rFactor, even hard core fans admit it.

and tyres are the single most important factor in whether or not a sim drives and feels like it should

Quote :However, the behaviour of cars in the best-made mods in rFactor are convincing enough, as long as you don't abuse them.

you dont have to abuse them... just driving them on the edge is near impossible unless you have lightning quick reflexes when it all goes wrong and whats worse is with the standard effects based force feedback you dont get any useful information on when thats about to happen

Quote :Professional flight sims are used for a wide range of training scenarios, including stall and spin recovery, which do require accurate reactions to control inputs. However processing power is finite, so you'll often find that simulations are strong at some aspects of its modelling, while weak - or even unsimulated - in other parts.

which is ok... for a flightsimulator thats used to teach how to get out of hairy situations in the air collision detection doesnt need to sap processing power
but the point is that each simulator has one area which is the major contributor to its accuracy... for a flightsim its aerodynamics and rigid body physics and for a car sim its tyres and rigid bodies
isi sims dont get either right or even convincing

Quote :Putting down a sim just because it has some flaws, is not doing it justice, IMHO.

correct but putting it down because it gets the single most important factor to its handling completely wrong is

Quote :Grand Prix Legends has the same tyre flaw as rFactor, but hardly anyone complains about that.

hardly surpising considering its 10 years old
Quote from spookthehamster :Move Grand Prix Legends up. Gran Turismo doesn't deserve to be anywhere near it.

ARCA Sim Racing should be placed higher and why isn't NASCAR Racing 2003 on that list?

New Great Simulation Games
(133 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG