The online racing simulator
Comp problem
(12 posts, started )
Comp problem
ok i need help about my old computer.
i got a new computer so i gave my old one to my sister who likes to play the SIMS..but my old computer deosnt have a good enough graphics card.
So my dad bought her a GeForce 6 series graphics card but it deosnt fit.
Would i need a laptop graphics card or is there smaller and more good ones?
If there is a laptop one plz can u link the website for me.
Screenshot>>>
these are the specs:
Computer processor speed :3.2 G
Desktop operating system: WXP Home
Desktop computer memory: 512MB
Hard Drive: 40 GB
1 Printer Port
1 Serial Port
1 Mouse Port
1 Keyboard Port
6 USB Ports 2.0(Rear)
1 Ethernet Port
1 Audio Line In Port(Rear)
1 Audio Speaker Out Port(Rear)
1 Audio Mic Port(Rear)
1 Digital Video Connector
2 USB Ports 2.0(Front)
1 Audio Headphone Port(Front)
1 DVD Rom Drive
1 Floppy Disk Drive

thnx hannah
Attached images
my old comp.jpg
It would probably be a low profile AGP graphics card, I think. When you say it doesn't fit, do you mean the socket doesn't fit, or is it too big for the rear slot?
Yeah. You're going to need a low-profile card for that case, as Wheel4Hummer stated.

You also might want to seriously consider another 512 Mb of RAM while you're at it.
yeah i have already upgraded the RAM to 1G cause it was too small.
And its to small as in it doesnt fit in the space ur meant to put it, so i suppose yes the fittings are too small.
Does it have an AGP slot or only PCI? Check that first. I wouldn't be surprised if there is only a PCI slot available so your choices will be limited or not worth the cost. Also some desktop computers have a riser card attached to the motherboard so you can mount a card horizontally. Otherwise you have to buy one, which can be expensive. Placing it vertical probably won't fit, even if it is a low profile card.

So it seems you might need another PC considering the cost versus efficiency of adapting your current PC to run 3d apps.
sounds bad.
i'll do the checks that u mentioned and i will report back
If it doesn't fit just in height but fits in the slot itself save yourself some money and just take the top cover off completely. Make a cardboard box to stick around it if you are worried about touching the insides ,or better still make a wooden one or get your Dad to make it (not being sexist, just assume you are quite young)
im 22 and my sister is 9
i dont think making a wooden box is the safest idea
You should be able to pick up a complete case brand new for not more than £25...if you lived further south I would have let you have a midi-tower case (second-hand) for that rig for a fiver!
Quote from stry90dis :Does it have an AGP slot or only PCI? Check that first. I wouldn't be surprised if there is only a PCI slot available so your choices will be limited or not worth the cost. Also some desktop computers have a riser card attached to the motherboard so you can mount a card horizontally. Otherwise you have to buy one, which can be expensive. Placing it vertical probably won't fit, even if it is a low profile card.

So it seems you might need another PC considering the cost versus efficiency of adapting your current PC to run 3d apps.

ok according to my BF it has a PCI fitting and doesnt have a riser.

@bladrunner: good plan, but is there is alot of hassel involved?
Ok you should get a riser card or a higher computer case. But both won't bring you much. If you get the riser card plus a 3d PCI accelerator you'll spend a fair amount of money and be watching a slideshow of LFS or any other 3D game thqat demands a little 3D power.

Or get a higher case and buy a PCI 3D accelerator, but you'll spend as much money, wast a lot more time and nerves and still be watching a slideshow.

So with this PC it's a no-go technically and economically. You should instead look for a second hand PC or a budget PC to play LFS or any other 3D game for that matter, as long as it has the right specifications. But don't expect supersmooth gameplay with busy online racing in LFS.
if you read my first post it was to paly the SIMS on not LFS.
But i am getting a new case for it and there is a computer place near me.
I'll go there and get them to convert everything the new case.

thnx for your help feel free to keep helping me tho.

hannah

Comp problem
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG