The online racing simulator
about gtr's
(131 posts, started )
about gtr's
hi, a question to those who might know: i really like the fxr best of all the gtr's but have to accept the fact that it's not a necessarily competitive car (compared to the xr and fz). unless, of course, i would be an above average driver....

so my question is whether there are any plans to even out the odds somewhat. if not then i'd consider making an effort and starting to learn to drive with the xr straight away.

much appreciated
The FXR will always be at a disadvantage because of the weight of it's 4WD system - the other two are RWD and thus ultimately faster, just like it would be in real life. It also means that the FXR is the easiest car to drive because it's nigh on impossible to spin it.
The XRR is next 'best', but it'll struggle around some corners for having a front engined layout and less power than the FZR. Not too hard to drive, but not the fastest.
The FZR is mid/rear engined, and the most powerful, and as such can really hit you if you make an error. You need to be much smoother to get it to work. The high nose bug also effects this car the most as the decreased rear travel and peculiar roll rates make keeping the car pointing the right way difficult at times (in slower corners mostly).

I'd say practice the XRR at first and get good at that, then move up to the FZR. The FXR (edit: typo, thanks Android) (edit2: I have lost the ability to press the keys in the right order, so had to fix it again...) is only useful at South City, especially the shorter tighter courses.
In races of about an hour, the FXR is actually quite competative at Blackwood GP also.

And as for the XRR and FZR, I get into low laptimes a lot faster with the FZR, but it does suffer the most from tyre wear.
What are you on Tristan?

Quote from tristancliffe :The FXR will always be at a disadvantage because of the weight of it's 4WD system

The measly 30kg increase in mass is unlikely to much of a factor in the FXRs sloweness. The massive additional power loss in the drivetrain, however, would be.

Quote from tristancliffe :The XRR is next 'best', but it'll struggle around some corners for having a front engined layout and less power than the FZR. Not too hard to drive, but not the fastest.

1 - how exactly does enginer power output affect cornering speed?
2 - I think you'll find all three GTRs have matching peak power figures.

Quote from tristancliffe :
The FZR is mid/rear engined, and the most powerful, and as such can really hit you if you make an error.

Again, no difference in absolute power. However, due to the lack of turbo lag, it does offer the most immediate power under foot, hence the increased fuel consumption.

Additionaly, the FZRs weight distribution allows it to full take advantage of that rear wing, whereas it would just be wasted on the other two GTRs.

Remember what they told you at school, quality over quantity.
The fzr can really beat the other two when accelerating out of corners, I think XRR and FXR lose here the most. FXR is slow on straights and it burns the fronts pretty quickly making it even slower in corners.

I would never suggest starting with the XRR. It's the hardest and least forgiving of the GTRs and also least rewarding to start with. Start with FXR and learn it how it handles and you can give some good opposition to the other players with not-so-much racing experience.

Then move to the FZR. It bites a lot in the beginning but just keep grinning and shouting evil things, in the end you get it drivable. After you get fast and competitive with this car you should move to the XRR. The turbo lag feels horrible and the whole car feels like brick on wheels at first but keep driving it and you'll love it! I was few months ago complaining about the XRR and its turbo lag etc. but now after few hundred laps I'm totally in love with. I have a poster of XRR and I sleep with it, I see dreams only about XRR when sleeping and I have painted my real life car to look exactly like an XRR and ... well you got the point

Patience is the right word with the GTRs.

EDIT: And the power/torque curves are quite different in every GTR. The FZR has defenately the widest power/torque curve and thus it can light up its rear wheels at will. XRR is the worst. Just to get it off the line you need the floor the throttle and sit in the smoke until it starts moving. While doing this you can admire the beatiful skins of the passing FZRs and FXRs.
I'd like to learn the XRR, but after a few laps I always miss my FZR. It's just a superb car with my favourite layout: RR.

If you remember that, it's actually an easy car to drive:

1. slow in, fast out: The rear-heaviness offers superb traction when accelerating out of a corner, use it!

2. Be aware of lift-off oversteer: Because the weight is in the back, the rear will come round when suddenly lifting off the throttle. This makes some corners hard to drive, I especially hate the final chicane in Aston.

3. The same with trailbraking

If you remember these points you'll love the FZR, after a few laps I always want to go out and buy a 911, unfortunately, I don't have the money ;-)
#7 - Gunn
I have become very good friends with the FZR and now find it a pleasure to drive. It's a real beast that requires a gentle touch. I love the way it looks on the track too, in the replays the FZR always seems to be absolutely hammering along.
It gets my vote for handling and speed over its two rivals.
#8 - Jakg
please be joking, anyway, i drive AS Nat quite a lot in the XFR, but ill soon try the big GTR's on it!
Btw, this is not the right forum

When I first tried XRR I though that the car was pure sh**. If I now had a time machine I would "travel" back to that moment and slap myself
FZR looking good on the track? Sorry, no, it looks like a woman with a fat ass. My 2 cents.
on my opinion the FZR is much easier to control than the XRR, because of his heavy arse pressing the tyres much more on the ground than the XRR does.
additionaly i think, that the XRR has quite a little bit too much disadvantages for its difficulty.
Quote from Hyperactive :EDIT: And the power/torque curves are quite different in every GTR. The FZR has defenately the widest power/torque curve and thus it can light up its rear wheels at will. XRR is the worst. Just to get it off the line you need the floor the throttle and sit in the smoke until it starts moving. While doing this you can admire the beatiful skins of the passing FZRs and FXRs.

Oh yeah the FZR probably does have a flatter torque curve, although I've never gone through the hassle of actually measuring it. The XRR and FXR have, as far as I can tell though, identical engines. The only reason the XRR is poor off the line is traction of the powered wheels - front heavy and RWD versus either front heavy and AWD (slightly front heavy is best for AWD) or rear heavy and RWD (with most of the weight where it's useful).

Also you have to nail the throttle in neutral in the FXR/XRR to build up some boost so it actually spins the wheels at all (obviously a worse problem in FXR). Damn turbo lag!
Quote from bLaCk VaMpIrE :on my opinion the FZR is much easier to control than the XRR, because of his heavy arse pressing the tyres much more on the ground than the XRR does.

Exactly... I first learned to drive XRR (more or less... ) and when I switch to FZR from time to time now, it is much easier to drive...

Personally, I like the XRR more though (maybe because of it's underdog factor )...

Quote from severin_schoepke :2. Be aware of lift-off oversteer: Because the weight is in the back, the rear will come round when suddenly lifting off the throttle. This makes some corners hard to drive, I especially hate the final chicane in Aston.

Yeah, I hate that too...

Quote from severin_schoepke :3. The same with trailbraking

I can't agree with that one... When I drove the FZR, I always got the impression that it really needs the trailbraking...
They all have their good points, but for some reason I prefer the XRR - maybe something to do with my favourite touring car series (Oz V8s) being front/rear layout - it's also quicker than the FXR and kinder to tyres/fuel than the FZR.

Having said that I drive the XFR more than the big ones as I think it suffers less from the low-speed grip issue (which keeps me away from the FZR to an extent). I'm not all that competetive in the big GTRs as I can't be bothered compensating for the low-speed no-traction thing (I get enough of that in GPL and one game with tyre bugs is enough)...I'm waiting for the patch that fixes it
#15 - Gunn
Quote from Primoz :FZR looking good on the track? Sorry, no, it looks like a woman with a fat ass. My 2 cents.

I know a few fat-arsed women who also look great on the track.
I like big butts and I cannot lie
never mind women's behinds, but all that has been said here means that the only competitive cars in the gtr class are the fz and xr, no? unless your name is flotch...
maybe one day there will be weather effects that might give it a bit more of an edge?
BlueSkunk, in an enduro, the FXR often has the edge as it's kinder to tyres and fuel and doesn't need to stop as often as the 2WD GTRs. In sprints though, the FXR usually needs to be driven by aliens to beat quick guys in 2WDs
^^ the FXR actually eats tires the most from my experinces, at least when speaking the R2 compound.
And think again about the fuel consumption, if the FXR and XRR has the same engine, but the FXr weights more, which one will eat more fuel?
at least thats how it is supposed to go, and I think I´m not totally wrong if I say that the 4wd somehow makes it to use more fuel to get the same distance than XRR, some otherway than just the extra weight.
Well, that's from my limited experience anyway. As I said I tend to drive the XFR more than the big ones due to the unrealistic low-speed no-grip issue
About the front tyres heating and wearing. I was few minutes ago driving the FXR (10 lappers) and I had R3 in front and R2 in rear. The R3 in front were almost worn out but the rears had lots of rubber left after the race. No locking/braking, some slides but nothing major.

And I hate pushy cars soo much
Quote from richy :maybe one day there will be weather effects that might give it a bit more of an edge?

Oh god. The FZR in the wet would be a nightmare. Imagine if they put a drying track in as well, get that big 'ol arse hanging out anywhere off the racing line thats it, your gone. The FXR would nefinatly be the car to drive in the wet. But I am a FZR racer and I would do my best to get a FZR competative in the wet. It's a car that requires patience and understanding. You need to whisper sweet nothings to it and feed it sugarcubes. But if it's in the right frame of mind it will give you the best ride of your life. It's more than likely to give you a kick up the behind on the next lap though . . .
You're partly right... The FXR eats the tires if you want to be anywhere near the laptimes of the two 2WD-cars, but for endurance, you don't have to be fast primarily, thus, you could go way longer than the 2WDs...

And it actually uses less fuel than the 2WDs also, don't ask me why...

@hyper: How about setting power more to the rear? 36 % to front is very good to drive, 25 % is perfect for tire wear...
Quote from bbman :And it actually uses less fuel than the 2WDs also, don't ask me why...

FuelControl online speaks otherwise
On short laps it has the same and on longer laps up to 0.4l more per lap than the XRR. I guess it loses most on long straights where it's really struggling to keep up.

Also like bbman said, you need to put the power way to the rear to get even wear and a good driving behaviour. 2/3 to 3/4 to the back is optimal, everything else makes it very pushy and tyre eating.

about gtr's
(131 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG