The online racing simulator
Quote from Hyperactive :I really like to ponder the idea and the pros and cons of launching LFS within LFSworld

you already can with lfs:// links

Quote from Hyperactive :It has the adventage of having everything in one place.

it would be a much simpler solution to add lfsw browser capabilities into lfs
all the benefits of the lfs menu/loading method with none of the many disadvantages that comes from seperating exes from the rest
Quote from wien :I can kinda see the unification angle, but the bother of having to open a browser window, navigating to the correct page, logging in, finding the launch button, just to run a program that's already on my computer by far outweighs any benefit in my view. This is just an unnecessary layer of complexity, and if there's anything Netkar doesn't need at this point, that's it.

Well, you could just save the page in your favourites, or even better, set it as your homepage. Make sure the browser remembers your password and logs you in automatically. Aren't you making it sound a bit too cumbersome?

Quote from Shotglass :you already can with lfs:// links

I know, I'm just looking at the bigger picture with LFSworld being the gui of LFS

Quote from Shotglass :it would be a much simpler solution to add lfsw browser capabilities into lfs
all the benefits of the lfs menu/loading method with none of the many disadvantages that comes from seperating exes from the rest

Would it be? What are the disadventages of "separating exes from the rest"?
blah blah browser blah blah .exe blah.

To be honest i don't give a monkeys how we end up firing it up. I've just done some some testing of the latest build and its such a fantastic drive that how the sim is started is the most irrelevant thing i can think about.

The new physics are bloody fantastic. The new FF system is really nice. The cars have a lot more of a 'weighty' feel about them now. FPS is up and i hear the multiplayer side is greatly improved. (cant wait to try it online tomorrow)

My favourite sim has just moved up a level from before, and I'm absolutely loving it.

I really hope Kunos keeps this up, and the added content promised for later in the year comes to fruition.

The hillclimb with the new physics and FF is getting me a little moist just thinking about it
Quote from Hyperactive :Would it be? What are the disadventages of "separating exes from the rest"?

compare the time it takes to change a few options or the car youre driving in nkp/rf/gtr/whatever with the time it takes in lfs
nkp is especially bad in that respect since you cant change anything from within the game which means when youre new to the game youll probably be looking at loading screens for quite a while before everything is set up to your liking
plus lfs loads tracks quite fast compared to all other games ive tried so far (probably down to the low res textures) and whats more while the track loads the gui is fully functional so you can switch cars change the setup etc during the time youd spend looking at a (patented) progress bar in any other sim

Quote from The Moose :The cars have a lot more of a 'weighty' feel about them now.

sounds nice
that was always one of the things that felt completely wrong in nkp and the area where lfs excells... bout time some other developer figured out that cars arent weightless
Quote from The Moose :It's not part of the 1.03 Beta patch yet...

Hush ma mouth! I thought you were referring to iRacing. Browsers 'n' all. :doh:
Quote from Hyperactive :Aren't you making it sound a bit too cumbersome?

Of course I am. I think it's a stupid idea, so I will do my best to make it sound like one. Seriously though, all I'm saying is that I just don't see the benefit. "It won't be too cumbersome" isn't really reason enough for me to accept a change. Show me a common use-case that is made considerably easier for either me or Kunos by using the browser and I'll happily concede the point. Until then I'll remain grumpy and negative if you don't mind.
btw shouldnt browsers be built and used in such a way that they never under any circumstances run exes on your pc?
Quote from Shotglass :btw shouldnt browsers be built and used in such a way that they never under any circumstances run exes on your pc?

Hmm. if you download a file the first thing you get asked is to either run it or save it. And to go further, that's one of the reasons why some firewalls have the feature to allow/disallow programs starting other programs
I agree that this whole browser-launcher thing is pointless. Why open a web page to open a racing simulator? I think someone else already made the point that it's cheaper to hire a web developer so I suppose that's all there is to it.

I'd like to see this patch, god knows I've been waiting for it for long enough. nK-Pro still does some things better than any other sim I've tried, the cockpit experience feels more visceral for some reason. Would be nice if it turned into a usable multiplayer with a userbase to match but I think I will be dead and buried before that happens.

I can't see it holding my attention for very long anyway if all they're going to do is simulate every category of single-seater, but the occasional spin in a FFords around Silverstone or Monaco is entertaining. Much rather do it in a proper ballsy road car though.
Quote from Shotglass :btw shouldnt browsers be built and used in such a way that they never under any circumstances run exes on your pc?

Technically, the way iRacing does it, is that the software starts a "listening" server on localhost (only accepts connections from localhost also), and when starting a session, it simply requests a page from the localhost, which has parameters to start the sim.

It also renders the helmet/car images (skins) in the same manner, requesting them from the localhost, and if the service isn't running, then it shows generic white cars/helmets.
Quote from The Moose :

The new physics are bloody fantastic. The new FF system is really nice. The cars have a lot more of a 'weighty' feel about them now. FPS is up and i hear the multiplayer side is greatly improved. (cant wait to try it online tomorrow)

My favourite sim has just moved up a level from before, and I'm absolutely loving it.

Above the new kid on the block iRacing?
Quote from Intrepid :Above the new kid on the block iRacing?

Hard to say. Physics wise it's got to be virtually on a par. I'd love to drive the same car in each to do a direct comparison.
The driving experience in nK was always great and now it's got even better. I find it just as immersive as anything i drove in iRacing (albeit briefly)

iRacing ,for all it's great driving experience, bored me after 5 days tbh. I passed my invite to someone who would appreciate it more. Considering the price of nKPro and the fantastic racing I've already had out of it for 2 years, and the fact it's now getting even better for no extra cost, makes it fantastic value and something I'll be sticking with for long time (until nKPro v2.0 i imagine )

When you take into account we're comparing a one man effort that costs about £25 and a multi, multi, million dollar Sim with a good 40 people working on it that costs a fortune in comparison, it ain't bad at all
so is it worth buying the game now?
I really want a "only" open wheeler game as good as NkPro, so its worth it?
Wait until 1.0.3 is out, test the demo, see if everything runs fine on your machine, then consider buying it.
Simple: wait for the patch.

edit: damnit, too slow.
Quote from AndroidXP :Wait until 1.0.3 is out, test the demo, see if everything runs fine on your machine, then consider buying it.

ye it runs flawless 60-70fps constant but havn't tested it yet with yet, gonna re-dl
Hmm the download link on the website doesn't seem to work for me? :S Edit - Nvm, just saw the Mirror 1 link :P downloading pretty fast .

Also, is there an online demo? Where I can race online with people to see how it is?
Quote from evilpimp :Also, is there an online demo? Where I can race online with people to see how it is?

No online in the 1.02 demo.

Personally i would wait for the 1.03 Patch/Demo (with online play) before coming to any conclusions.

1.02 has lots of issues for many people. (and the demo has only one car with a horrible default setup )
-
(deggis) DELETED by deggis
Hehe. About to try the demo :P.

Also theres the F1 ''mod'' which is supposedly using 1.0.3 physics and all and for free? Gunna try that out I guess. :P
(talking about this F1 ''mod'' - http://www.lastplace-racing.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=283 )

As for the game, I doupt it's worth THAT much money. 57$'s seems a little stretched. Even LFS is only 40$...(around)

Edit : Just tried it. I like it. There is a loss of FFB on understeer or oversteer. I can't say if that's realistic as I've never pushed a car to that point but I doupt that's how it should be or at least not that noticeable so quickly. Seems to me like it's got potential but not 57$ worth :S. (You may call me a cheap punk but meh don't have a job yet to get that kind of money)
$57 is too much yet your wanting to try iRacing?
(btw, i paid exactly the same for nKpro as i did S2. £24) i didn't know nKPro had a price rise.)

You cheap punk

The loss of FF when understeering is greatly reduced in 1.03.

Wait for 1.03 and re-test it then.
hehehe. But iRacing seems like its getting a lot bigger and the community aswell. :P Also by the looks of it, it seems that people appreciate it more. I don't know which I'd like better and that's why I'm tryin to get my hands on iRacing to try it for a month and try NetKar aswell.

Now for the Singtel F1 I'm having trouble getting the wheel to work with it because I can't find the NetKarS file. Usually it's nks which is in the nkp folder but this time it loads NetkarS which I can't find anywere. I've even used the search fonction in windows.

Glad to hear that the loss of FFB is reduced too . I'll try 1.0.3 aswell when it comes out.
Quote from The Moose :$57 is too much yet your wanting to try iRacing?
(btw, i paid exactly the same for nKpro as i did S2. £24) i didn't know nKPro had a price rise.)

You cheap punk

The loss of FF when understeering is greatly reduced in 1.03.

Wait for 1.03 and re-test it then.

Gotta admit i'm more interested in 1.03 coming out and being successfull than i am of trying iracing!!
Having a centralised browser-based app has several advantages.

1. It should be a lot quicker to code a web based app than write an interface from scratch. Half the work is done for you already. As has been said, things like chatrooms have been perfected over the last ten years. Why not exploit that?

2. It's a lot easier to update a web-based app than to update a bespoke interface.

Updates to the interface can be carried out by simply updating the site. Then every single user will have the update when they are next online. There is no auto-updater app to write, no manual downloads involved. So for example, if they release a more detailed car editor, they update it on the site and everyone has it when they next visit.

3. A browser loads faster than most applications.

4. Accessibility. Users with sight or hearing problems can customise browsers to their own needs already.

I always liked netKars approach to the interface. There are no frills, no extra graphics to load. It simply gets to you as fast as possible so you can get on with things. I like that.
Quote from evilpimp :Now for the Singtel F1 I'm having trouble getting the wheel to work with it because I can't find the NetKarS file. Usually it's nks which is in the nkp folder but this time it loads NetkarS which I can't find anywere. I've even used the search fonction in windows.

I don't have it installed at the moment so i cant help you there I'm afraid.

It's pretty crap with the Singapore track anyway imo. You need to let that car loose on Spa or Silverstone to really see it's potential. Unfortunately only licensed nKPro users can use addon tracks.

There are some things wrong with downforce and drag calculations as well in that version. All will be fixed for the official F1 car release for nKPro.
Had another go at Crema test track with the formula 1600 (the only combo I get) and I think it's really good. Very fun, seems realistic (can't tell since I don't exactly drive in real life ), can't let go of the wheel to scratch my back or else I'm doomed.

Also, is there anywere where I can find stats of other players who play online. Such as number of players, number of servers online, world records, etc. A bit like LFSworld lol.

NetKar Pro [v1.3 released]
(2766 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG