The online racing simulator
Repair a corrupt mp4 file?
(39 posts, closed, started )
Hi

One of the movies I shot with my phone (.mp4) during the team meeting we had last weekend, seems to be corrupted because the SD card got full during filming.
I've tried some applications already, but none worked so far.. Anyone who can hint me to some kind of repair program? Or is there anyone here who thinks he can fix this? The reward is the scoop of quite a funny movie

I have the movie uploaded, please tell me to pm the link if you think you're up for it!

Thanks in advance!

René
#2 - Lible
If it doesn't run at all I'm pretty sure it never will.. But who knows, magic happens these days.
Can Mediacoder open it? I've found that quite good at opening files I couldn't otherwise view, but that might be for very different reasons.
Quote from Lible :If it doesn't run at all I'm pretty sure it never will.. But who knows, magic happens these days.

I was hoping maybe some part of it would, since most of the video probably recorded ok, just the closing of the file failed due to lack of diskspace.

Quote from tristancliffe :Can Mediacoder open it? I've found that quite good at opening files I couldn't otherwise view, but that might be for very different reasons.

Quote :013
  • Description: A video source error is encountered
  • Possible causes:
    • The active video source cannot decode the input file or device
  • Solutions:
    • Try other video sources

Damn! Guess I'm really screwed right?

Here's the source file, if anyone cares to try with his own player?

Thanks anyway Tristan and Lible!
The header of the file is completely messed up. I opened it in a hex editor and instead of a proper header, there were just a bunch of blank bytes in the beginning of the file. You should record another video from your phone that works, and then post it on here. Then I could find out the proper format and attempt to write a header for it.
Quote from wheel4hummer :The header of the file is completely messed up. I opened it in a hex editor and instead of a proper header, there were just a bunch of blank bytes in the beginning of the file. You should record another video from your phone that works, and then post it on here. Then I could find out the proper format and attempt to write a header for it.

Ohh that would be so nice! Here's a working one from my phone: clicky!

Thanks for trying!!
The length might not be correct depending on if the first part of the other header works for both files. Maybe the player just recognizes the length and corrects it. Anyway, here it is:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G4249E60
Quote from wheel4hummer :The length might not be correct depending on if the first part of the other header works for both files. Maybe the player just recognizes the length and corrects it. Anyway, here it is:

Woooohoooo it works Thanks so much!!!

:drink::drink::drink:

[E] How's that for a miracle Lible?
#9 - Lible
I'm impressed. I didn't know you could create a new header like that.
Quote from wheel4hummer :The length might not be correct depending on if the first part of the other header works for both files. Maybe the player just recognizes the length and corrects it. Anyway, here it is:

dude the same thing happened to me i was using mu nokia e71 phone to record something and i sent it to a friend and the next morning i didn't have the video for some reason. so i recovered it but my phone is unable to read neither VLC could you please do the same for me. reward is seeing me and my friends drunk. because thats what the video is.
Hello,

I have the same probleem with the mp4 file wich is very important to me and my family. Can somebody help me how can I create this header. I have recovered all the files from my mobile phone and most of them are good. This is the output when I try to play with the Media Player Classic:

Media Type 0:
--------------------------
Unknown

AM_MEDIA_TYPE:
majortype: MEDIATYPE_Stream {E436EB83-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770}
subtype: Unknown GUID Name {08E22ADA-B715-45ED-9D20-7B87750301D4}
formattype: TIME_FORMAT_NONE {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
bFixedSizeSamples: 1
bTemporalCompression: 0
lSampleSize: 1
cbFormat: 0

Media Type 1:
--------------------------
Unknown

AM_MEDIA_TYPE:
majortype: MEDIATYPE_Stream {E436EB83-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770}
subtype: TIME_FORMAT_NONE {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
formattype: TIME_FORMAT_NONE {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
bFixedSizeSamples: 1
bTemporalCompression: 0
lSampleSize: 1
cbFormat: 0
How big is that file? Can you upload it somewhere so we can try to do some witchcraft with it? Can you also upload a good file from your phone so that we can find out what codecs it uses?
Love it how once every few months a google-searcher finds this thread and makes an account just to post one question
First of all thnx for the replay on my post. Is it possible to give me some direction on how can I make my self this header. Is there any kind of "how to" or work instruction about the creation of the header. At least I would really appreciate if somebody can tell me what kind of tool (software) can I use?

Thnx in advance
Ziggy
I'd use some HEX editor to copy the good header over the bad one, I dunno if there is some more user-friendly tool for that particular task.
Quote from CrAZySkyPimp :Love it how once every few months a google-searcher finds this thread and makes an account just to post one question

Yes, and they always PM me about it. I don't remember how to do it anymore, though. I haven't messed around with a hex editor for ages.
I allready have a HEX editor (Winhex). Where can I find the good header and the bad header. I'll put first output of the bad file and the good file.
Attached images
Bad.JPG
Good.JPG
Well, I suggest you compare two good files with the bad one, that should give you enough info to fix it...
I'm having the same problem with my mp4 files
Hi lfs Community:

After trying everything on my own for the past 48 hours (failed due to very limited skill in this aspect to fix a few of my very important video files. I'm glad to lean about this forum that someone on this forum (wheel4hummer?) know how to fix this and might be able to help me recover something very important to me.

I've recorded a few videos in mp4 format yesterday using my pen voice/video recorder in a meeting and a few files work and the last file doesn't work.

Therefore, please help offer solution to fix this file for me or advice where/how can I seeks help. I have included here a working mp4 file and a nonworking mp4 file for you perusal.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XXC1V4U9 -good file
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PP4J7KX1 -bad file

Best Regards,

Leang Kean
I did compare both files but as you can see they are totally different files. Can you give me a tip where should I pay attention on which part of the HEX?
Take a look at my two good files. They're both encoded in h264/faad and have MP4 container. The green part is what I believe to be the header. I suggest you do the same comparison with your files.
Attached images
hexheader1.jpeg
hexheader2.jpeg
OK...one more person saying...HELP!!!
this is amazing, just yesterday i was on this thread through google and saw the last post was way back in 2008 and thought, damn...i won't find help here....and just again i jst came back to check out of curiosity and BAM!!! people are back on this thread posting...i'm really hoping i get some help from you guyz here...

Issue: well known by now... had some video files...got deleted by mistake...used couple of software to recover it...Sucess! recovered few files but then, no player in the world would recognize the format...so back to sad days!!! lol

now, i've been doing a lot of research since last few days, i came across bunch of similar posts around on net, and ended up messing up with the files myself. Been playing around with Winhex to see if i could do something with the header just the way 'wheel4hummer' described it earlier posts (btw, thanks wheel4hummer, u jst gave me some hope when i read your posts).

Now, i shot one more movie from my phone just to compare the header file with the one that i recovered. Here is the difference, the beginning of the header file is identical, but its the end of the file which shows the difference. 'Recovered' file is missing a whole lot of information that 'working' file shows. I tried to copy paste that part of the header file (from working to recovered file) and to my surprise i could see a green screen (probably distorted images???) against nothing earlier....That raised my hopes again. But then, recovered video was at least 7 minutes long while the 'manipulated' file shows play time of only 10 seconds!!!

this is where i need your help guys...! i just want to know if i'm copying the right part of the header file form working to recovered file? The videos i recovered were kind of personal and hence can't post it here. BUT, here are the images of the header file i captured to give you some idea about what i'm talking about

here is beginning of header file of non-working file

here is end of the header file of non-working file

here is beginning of header file of working file

and just for your reference, posting a working video file captured from my phone

working file
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?d9iws8o6v8ojidr

any help would be greatly appreciated guys....

thanks alot in advance....

cheers
Attached images
not working_bottom.jpg
not-working_beginning.jpg
working_beginning.jpg
While you're here, go download and try Live for speed out
I'm using this company http://www.aeroquartet.com/ to repair my damaged audio/video file....very responsive and within 24 hour, they send me a 10sec clip of the recovered video! Thanks guy
another corrupted mp4 file
Hello,

please help me I've been recording interview for my school project on my cellphone (Nokia E52) and during that somebody called me- my file was not saved properly and it is corrupted. This is very important file for me, it was about 55 minutes of interview This file is in mp4 format.

I tried to repair it on my own, I fought with this file for two days Like you suggested, I downloaded HEX file editor and I tried to compare my file with other good part of interview, but this is black magic for me

here is bad file:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/jexesa
and good file:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ht9x3a

this is error from foobar1.1:
Unable to open item for playback (Unsupported format or corrupted file (moov box not found)):
"Plik audio 04.mp4"

thanks in advance

polake
This thread is closed

(39 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG