The online racing simulator
Quote from tinvek :
in iracing there are 2 real world cars, the legend and the radical, the rest have no relevance to me as i've never visited a race meeting in the usa. the legend is of interest as the european distributor for them is relocating to my local circuit , anglesey.

similarly at the moment there are no real world tracks for me as untill silverstone's available, they have no relevance to my experience and as such i am unable to say if they are close to real or not.

There are 8 real world cars at the moment. Silverstone is available.
Attached images
silver.JPG
Quote from tinvek :as current availability stands, in lfs there are 2 real world cars ( ie cars that i have seen in real life) the 2006 bmw f1 and the fbm and no real tracks

The MRT and RAC are real life cars also. So lfs has 4 "real world cars" and frankly .. you don't have to be a genius to work out what the lx's and uf1 are supposed to be replicating.

To me there is no point saying a game is better because it has REAL CARS AND TRACKS !!!
They aren't real, they are in a game. Same with tracks. It's good to replicate real cars and tracks in a game .. but they arent real ffs. :gnasher:

Sorry, having a bit of a hissy fit! :duck:
Im hope eric will continue to do fictional cars
Why not some "real cars" but I really prefere fictional...
All well and good having lots of new license holders due to the expanded language support but what I find unacceptable is that they will all at some stage be victim to the 'Look Ma. I can fly' collision bug which has been with LFS for as long as I can remember. This bug 'breaks' races. Poor interiors don't.
Quote from Gills4life :The MRT and RAC are real life cars also. So lfs has 4 "real world cars" and frankly .. you don't have to be a genius to work out what the lx's and uf1 are supposed to be replicating.

To me there is no point saying a game is better because it has REAL CARS AND TRACKS !!!
They aren't real, they are in a game. Same with tracks. It's good to replicate real cars and tracks in a game .. but they arent real ffs. :gnasher:

Of course they're not real, they're virtual But they're damn amazing to drive and the "feel" very real to me - that's what's important. Even just cruising down the straightaway at lime rock you can feel tiny bumps and imperfections. It makes the track come to life. Same with the cars. I've primarily only driven the solstice but it "feels" real to me. Alot of it has to do with the track TBH. But also the sound is fantastic and definitely makes the driver feel like he's driving a real car (tone of engine changing at higher RPM's, random little pops from unburned fuel in the exhaust, etc). iRacing is not perfect and neither is LFS. Both sims can learn alot from each other For example, I find the net code in LFS is far superior.
Quote from OldBloke :All well and good having lots of new license holders due to the expanded language support but what I find unacceptable is that they will all at some stage be victim to the 'Look Ma. I can fly' collision bug which has been with LFS for as long as I can remember. This bug 'breaks' races. Poor interiors don't.

I started racing again in late December/early January and have yet to see that bug affect any of the ~300 races I've participated in I happen to like this bug - it adds some good comedic value after a long hard battle
I partly agree with you. I want to see the collision bug fixed but if/when it is fixed I will kind of miss it. The problem is, it is bloody annoying in a serious race, but if it happens when you are just practicing or just having a gentle cruise with mates then it is very entertaining.
When crunch time comes, the bug must be fixed and it will make the game much more realistic. But like i said, it will be missed at times.
@ OP:

As some have said here already, I don't think LFS is at top, not as a whole anyway. For online sim racing I'll say yes, LFS is outstanding and it's tyre model is equally great. This alone doesn't make it the be all and end all for me personally. I still enjoy GTR2 with it's plethora of track/car mods, especially the F1 2008 v1.4 mod which, as I've said more than once, is bloody amazing and to be honest makes LFS' F1 department feel plain and boring in comparison.

Regarding iRacing: I've only just realised it existed and it doesn't do it for me, a monthly fee and no real control over my game isn't for me.

I will be taking a look at GTR Evolution which should be out in the next few months. Say what you like about SimBin's games but if you fancy a bit of single player action - and I frequently do - then LFS isn't anywhere near good enough. Gran Turismo is infamous for it's terrible AI but LFS is in a league of it's own with what must be the worst AI in any racing game, ever.
Quote from Gills4life :The MRT and RAC are real life cars also. So lfs has 4 "real world cars" and frankly .. you don't have to be a genius to work out what the lx's and uf1 are supposed to be replicating.

you didn't read my post properly, what i said was there areeffectivly only 2 real world cars to me as i've only ever seen 2 of them in real life, i couldn't tell you if the rac or the mrt are modelled accuratly but i do know that both the formula bmws look like the ones ive seen in the flesh (er composite). similarly ive only ever seen the legend and the radical off iracing so there are only 2 cars that i can judge there and if silver is now available then ok it has 1 real track i know of, the us ones might for all i know include giant squid in real life.

and if you read again you'll see i made the same point, it doesnt matter what the cars and tracks are as long as they fgive the feeling of being real when you race with them
Quote from tinvek :you didn't read my post properly, what i said was there areeffectivly only 2 real world cars to me as i've only ever seen 2 of them in real life, i couldn't tell you if the rac or the mrt are modelled accuratly but i do know that both the formula bmws look like the ones ive seen in the flesh (er composite). similarly ive only ever seen the legend and the radical off iracing so there are only 2 cars that i can judge there and if silver is now available then ok it has 1 real track i know of, the us ones might for all i know include giant squid in real life.

and if you read again you'll see i made the same point, it doesnt matter what the cars and tracks are as long as they fgive the feeling of being real when you race with them

No actually I did read your post and I did notice you said that.. but your point is ? They are still "real world" cars like the fbm and bf1 whether you know about them or not. :bitehard3

You seem to be taking what I said as a personal attack against you. Chill out.
Quote from Gills4life :I partly agree with you. I want to see the collision bug fixed but if/when it is fixed I will kind of miss it. The problem is, it is bloody annoying in a serious race, but if it happens when you are just practicing or just having a gentle cruise with mates then it is very entertaining.
When crunch time comes, the bug must be fixed and it will make the game much more realistic. But like i said, it will be missed at times.

Think about people who use a force dynamics 301. I doubt they will miss this bug.
Quote from Gills4life :but your point is ?

His point is that it doesn't matter to him if the cars/tracks are real or not if he himself hasn't even heard of them before.

It makes no difference if the cars really exist or not.
Quote from zeugnimod :
It makes no difference if the cars really exist or not.

Well, not quite... maybe for you since you take this sim really seriously with 3rd persion view but some people do find that relevant.. I'm somewhere in beatween... but i really wouldn't mind some real track to be honest, it will never be the same feeling like driving the real thing, and the laser scanning thing is i think a bit overhyped, it doesn't have to be acurate in milimeters, it's just cool driving down the piece of tarmac that exists in real word, comparing your drive to the real one, etc..
LFS is going in the right direction at the moment, we'll see what the future brings re. content. I like a surprise, sometimes.

(Now, time to necroquote)

Quote from Cueball (on community developed content) :... Apparently, the devs have expressed zero interest in having this happen. Frankly, this is something I just can't understand. You've got dedicated users who are offering to donate their time and money to make this sim better, but the devs don't seem very receptive to the idea at all. The same thing is true for new cars. While LFS probably would be unable to work out licensing agreements for real cars from major manufacturers, "generic" cars that are not copyrighted should be relatively easy to add. I know that several of the best car modelers in the community are fans of LFS, and I bet that some of them could model a Sprint Car, Stock Car, off-road buggy, etc. very quickly. I can't imagine that it would take that much effort to add a car to LFS if the car model and interior were done by volunteers for free.

I understand the desire for Scawen, Victor, and Eric to keep LFS from becoming a "job", but I also think that they could embrace community generated models (car and track) while still keeping true to their own work ethic.

I've got to say I largely agree there, some form of "community content integration" would be good. However I would not support any form of rFactor style situation re. modding.
Quote from Boris Lozac :Well, not quite... maybe for you since you take this sim really seriously with 3rd persion view but some people do find that relevant.. I'm somewhere in beatween... but i really wouldn't mind some real track to be honest, it will never be the same feeling like driving the real thing, and the laser scanning thing is i think a bit overhyped, it doesn't have to be acurate in milimeters, it's just cool driving down the piece of tarmac that exists in real word, comparing your drive to the real one, etc..

What has that got to do with it? The fact remains that if you've never seen a car, let alone driven it, and never will, it could as well be made up, as you have absolutely nothing to relate to...
Quote from tinvek :you didn't read my post properly, what i said was there areeffectivly only 2 real world cars to me as i've only ever seen 2 of them in real life, i couldn't tell you if the rac or the mrt are modelled accuratly but i do know that both the formula bmws look like the ones ive seen in the flesh (er composite).

So if you've never seen it, it doesn't exist?
http://www.raceabout.fi/index_3.html
I for one believe that RAC is a real car and not an elaborate hoax
Quote from Juls :Think about people who use a force dynamics 301. I doubt they will miss this bug.

Can you imagine sitting in a Force Dynamics Simulator and this bug happens :scared:
Quote from duke_toaster :I've got to say I largely agree there, some form of "community content integration" would be good. However I would not support any form of rFactor style situation re. modding.

Agreed 100%. The rFactor model just makes multiplayer a pain in the ass because no two machines ever have the same stuff installed. I would NOT want to see LFS go down this road. But that shouldn't stop the devs from accepting 3D models from the community and adding them.
Quote from Boris Lozac :Well, not quite... maybe for you since you take this sim really seriously with 3rd persion view

To me, it's still a game and I take it as serious as a game needs to be taken.

Quote from flymike91 :So if you've never seen it, it doesn't exist?
http://www.raceabout.fi/index_3.html
I for one believe that RAC is a real car and not an elaborate hoax

Do you normally read the posts you quote?
And more importantly, do you understand them?

It doesn't seem so.
Quote from zeugnimod :

Do you normally read the posts you quote?
And more importantly, do you understand them?

It doesn't seem so.

Do you ? You didn't understand what I was saying either.
Quote from Gills4life :You didn't understand what I was saying either.

What exactly didn't I understand?
Err...

Anyway, it's good to see the interiors released. Sure, not all of them were, but it was more than I was expecting (FOX, etc). Whether you feel it's important or not, it shows that the graphics are still being worked on, that stuff is actually happening there. Sometimes i've felt (not seriously) that graphics responsibility had shifted over to the community, there was really nothing from Eric for a very long time (minus the SO update, minor BL update and a new car). The interiors had been in the works for ages- and before release, there was no way of knowing how much had actually been worked on. There's been a big uncertainty about these things for ages.

That's a fairly standard perspective from the other side of development, the community side. it's not whinging, it's just a perspective. We have no idea what's happening most of the time from Eric's side and people can assume all kinds of things. It suggests (perhaps unfairly) that work has stopped or slowed down, and dissapointment can set in. Dissapointment that your favourite sim may be slipping, stagnating, or worse.

An announcement from 2006 can't hold everyone in faith for ever, people like to see progress. The community doesn't demand anything, and most people are patient enough to wait for good things- that won't change the fact that from our side there's always going to be uncertainty about development which will lead to opinions on this issue.
-
(Electrik Kar) DELETED by Electrik Kar

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG