The online racing simulator
Quote from Jakg :I was just pointing out that he hasn't really earned the money at all, and he doesn't care that it's going to cost his parents a fortune. £750 is a lot of cash.

I dont care about the cash, my parents say dont worry we will pay for it.. anyway

i might have not earned the money but iv earned something better and thats the skill to learn how to race and thats worth more than £750

[EDIT] Spending £11,000 next year on a season anyway

Quote from DevilDare :sweet man, looks cool Mind telling me how much you got it for?

Got it for £3,500 worth it for the power its got
Quote from aoun :

In the end, i have earnt it all on my own, i feel big even though i haven't started racing in a league yet, but at the same time, starting at 12 can get you somewhere... starting at 18, unlikely.. prove me wrong.

oh well Takuma Sato only started racing when he was like 19 or sth like that.
if you still got a chance to get into F1 =]
guys he is only 14.
dont be so harsh on him.
Basically every F! driver got there rich ass parents to pay for there racing expensences so why hate on this kid.

I hope this kid goes far it would be awesome.

BTW whats the name of the series your going to race in?
Quote from Mustafur :Basically every F! driver got there rich ass parents to pay for there racing expensences

You might want to re-think that comment.

Alonso's dad was a factory mechanic, hardly a big earner. Michael Schumacher's dad was a brick layer. Takuma Sato's parent's couldn't even afford to buy him a kart, so he raced bicycles instead and then went to racing school using his prize money at age 19.

But yes, most did come from reasonably affluent families. However, it wouldn't be fair to paint them all up as having "rich ass parents". Most parents were middle-class at best.

Quote from aoun :starting at 12 can get you somewhere... starting at 18, unlikely.. prove me wrong

Don't be so negative. Where there is a will, there is a way... if you're lucky and talented enough to find it.

As mentioned before, Takuma Sato started at age 19; Bruno Senna started at 21; Sebastian Loeb started at 21; and there are many more examples of late-starters who are now successful drivers. Of course for F1 or other open-wheel racing you probably are too late, but for rallying you definitely are not (most rally drivers started as adults).
Quote from samjh :
Alonso's dad was a factory mechanic, hardly a big earner. Michael Schumacher's dad was a brick layer. Takuma Sato's parent's couldn't even afford to buy him a kart, so he raced bicycles instead and then went to racing school using his prize money at age 19.

Don't believe the bullshit, they weren't exactly on the dole, they normally earned relatively well before hand and then went and took a load of jobs to fund a years karting where they were lucky enough to get spotted and given a sure ticket into F1 (just like Hamilton was).

Quote :
As mentioned before, Takuma Sato started at age 19; Bruno Senna started at 21; Sebastian Loeb started at 21; and there are many more examples of late-starters who are now successful drivers. Of course for F1 or other open-wheel racing you probably are too late, but for rallying you definitely are not (most rally drivers started as adults).

Sato has got where he is because he is Japanese, he had an entire team created for him just so he could stay in F1 driving a Japanese car. Bruno Senna doesn't count because his name got him in a racing car not his ability, that doesn't mean he hasn't got ability. A lot of people have said that if Damon Hill hadn't been given drives due to his name he would never have progressed into F3, yet he still had the potential to be a World Champion.

Loeb and rallying is different to single seater racing. Generally rally drivers start later and have a better chance of actually getting somewhere from club competition and it is probably one of the only routes into professional motorsport that doesn't require parents to pay for it.
Correct me if im wrong but MS dad owned the local kart track so him and Ralf had basically all the time in the world to learn the trade.
#33 - aoun
Thanks guys, gave me a bit of encouragement and motivation...
Quote from ajp71 :Don't believe the bullshit, they weren't exactly on the dole, they normally earned relatively well before hand and then went and took a load of jobs to fund a years karting where they were lucky enough to get spotted and given a sure ticket into F1 (just like Hamilton was).

That doesn't qualify as "rich ass", which is what I was replying to.

People have different standards about what "rich" means, but to be rich enough to fund your children's motorsport career comfortably means you need to be earning at least a 6-figure salary, if not into the millions. Working two or three different jobs is nothing to be dismissive about, which is the tone I read in Mustafur's post.

Quote :Sato has got where he is because he is Japanese, he had an entire team created for him just so he could stay in F1 driving a Japanese car.

Misses my point entirely. My point was that even though Sato started late, he was successful because he had the talent and guts to be successful. F1 is not a pre-requisite to success. Sato could have taken the easy path and stayed in Japan, competing in the Japanese F3, Formula Nippon, and Japanese GT. But no, he pretty much took the deep plunge to move to Europe, which is no mean feat.

Quote :Bruno Senna doesn't count because his name got him in a racing car not his ability, that doesn't mean he hasn't got ability.

Again, misses my point. Aoun asked about racing drivers who got somewhere after starting late. It doesn't matter if Bruno Senna had a famous name. He started late, and that's the only thing that matters in the context of Aoun's question.

Quote :Loeb and rallying is different to single seater racing. Generally rally drivers start later and have a better chance of actually getting somewhere from club competition and it is probably one of the only routes into professional motorsport that doesn't require parents to pay for it.

Which is why I mentioned rallying. Aoun didn't ask for specific types of motorsport, so why do you dismiss rallying as an example where he can "get somewhere" after starting at a late age?

My answer to Aoun is still correct: you can "get somewhere" in motorsport even if you're a late starter. All you need is the money (which he seems to have), talent (which he has yet to prove), and some good luck (which remains to be seen).
Even though Bruno didn't race karts he spent many years driving them with one of the best kart drivers of all time - his uncle. He WASN'T a late starter in terms of driving. Many drivers would give their right arm to have that kind of coaching at such a young age. Late starter I think not.... in fact many could argue he had a head start.

I don't think anyone would argue that if Bruno was called Terry Smith he wouldn't be where he is today.

But this is motorsport. Anyone that thinks its a talent contest is living in a dream world. Motorsport IS about money, especially once you move to cars. Testing comes at a premium and the driver that can afford to test will always be at an advantage, even over the most talented of drivers. If i had a billion quid sitting in the bank I am pretty sure i could take average driver and get them competing well in GP2 within 5 years. I would put my neck out and say even Tristan Cliffe

Hey whats stopping me starting my own F1 team and getting a mate to drive for me????? lol

Teams have to paid, flights/hotes too, and all the other stuff. Talent doesn't pay the bills!

If you hear anything else it's complete bull.
Quote from Intrepid :But this is motorsport. Anyone that thinks its a talent contest is living in a dream world. Motorsport IS about money, especially once you move to cars. Testing comes at a premium and the driver that can afford to test will always be at an advantage, even over the most talented of drivers.

The unfortunate truth. I suppose that's why some people don't consider motorsport a real sport. Money speaks louder than talent, especially at lower levels.

Quote :If i had a billion quid sitting in the bank I am pretty sure i could take average driver and get them competing well in GP2 within 5 years

A bit of an exaggeration I think. If you're talking about an average club/semi-pro/pro racing driver, then you might have some success. But if you're talking about the average adolescent driver with zero motorsport or advanced driving experience, then it's unlikely.

By "competing well", I presume you're talking about getting in the top 6 in the championship ladder.
Yes an average race driver not some noob of the street

Money speaks even more once u get to the higher levels. Testing costs rise, racing costs ride. NOT the other way around.

Once you get through the levels the MORE testing you have to do, an the more dependancy on wealth is placed. I think Autosport estimated that it will cost around £4,000,000

They aren't really levels though are they? There isn't a promotion/relegation system. If that's how it WORKED and EVERY driver had a budget cap we would have a completely different grid of F1 drivers.

Anyone that disagrees has OBVIOUSLY never been given an invoice for an engine rebuild!

Sometimes we get lucky when a driver with talent combined with decent financial backing.
Quote from Jakg :I was just pointing out that he hasn't really earned the money at all, and he doesn't care that it's going to cost his parents a fortune. £750 is a lot of cash, but with a job, even one like my old eBay thingy, not hard to earn in less than a year if your 16 with no proper outgoings.

I used to be a bit spoilt - I was given my "old" Dad's PC (which he built to tease me into getting good grades, to give it to me) a few years ago - but it meant nothing. It was just my PC. I hadn't earnt it, really... I then upgraded it with money that i'd got from Christmas, Birthday etc, but still, it was just like the money flew in from somewhere magical. Time came, and about 9 months ago I realised I needed money, which culminated in my highly profitable little PSP battery venture - of course having a rather large income for the first time meant I blew it all (), but every time I look at the things I bought I smile - I earned them. It's nice to be able to take your girlfriend out for a meal, and know that you are paying with the money you earned, etc...

</old-fashioned>

I'm not having a go at you, 5haz, as you'd be a fool not to take free money () but the idea is you are grateful - Jordan doesn't even seem to care.

The thing is, you cant tell he isnt grateful from a forum post...for all you know he was shouting and jumping with joy when his parents said they would pay. His wording did sound a little self centered but give him a break.

You are very fortunate to be at this stage so quickly, you should be proud and try your best. Good luck
Quote from Mustafur :Basically every F! driver got there rich ass parents to pay for there racing expensences so why hate on this kid.

I hope this kid goes far it would be awesome.

BTW whats the name of the series your going to race in?

Going into Saxmax if i do well there, might push big time to get into Clio Cup or Seat Cupra Championship

But thats if i get anywhere first

[BTW I got told by some friend.. Anyone who bad mouths me and thinks that I haven't earned it.. I got told they're just jealous..]
-
(Jordan2007) DELETED by Jordan2007
Quote from Jordan2007 :Going into Saxmax. If I do well, they might push big time to get me into Clio Cup or Seat Cupra Championship.

That's if I get anywhere first.

[BTW I got told by some friend.. Anyone who bad mouths me and thinks that I haven't earned it.. I got told they're just jealous..]

I think I might be more jealous of your spelling and grammar. Making a mistake for over 50% of a phrase... very impressive.
well i cant spell... nd im crap at english...
Quote from dawesdust_12 :I think I might be more jealous of your spelling and grammar. Making a mistake for over 50% of a phrase... very impressive.

Grow up. :thumbsdow
I'm fine as I am thanks
what if he is a kid he cant grow up then

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG