The online racing simulator
best guitarist of all time
(178 posts, started )

Poll : Which one of these do you think is the best guitarist?

Other, (i'm pretty sure I've missed some...)-so post below plz!
Jimi Hendrix (solo artist)
Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)
Joe Satriani (solo artist)
kirk Hammett (Metallica)
Herman Li (Dragonforce)
Richie Sambora (Bon Jovi)
#76 - 5haz
#77 - wark
Quote from 5haz :Howabout best Bass Guitarists?

Jaco Pastorius, Victor Wooten, Rufus Philpot, Jimmy Haslip, Charles Mingus, Ron Carter, Stanley Clarke, Steve Bailey, John Patitucci, Geddy Lee, Marcus Miller, Stu Hamm, Steve Lawson, Larry Graham, Mark King, James Jamerson ...
#78 - wark
Paul Gilbert's another one I thought you guys would have jumped on. (And the thousands of other guys that play in that style)
Most interesting guitarist imo is Glenn Branca. No one else comes close for sheer creativity and emotional result.
Quote from wark :Jaco Pastorius, Victor Wooten, Rufus Philpot, Jimmy Haslip, Charles Mingus, Ron Carter, Stanley Clarke, Steve Bailey, John Patitucci, Geddy Lee, Marcus Miller, Stu Hamm, Steve Lawson, Larry Graham, Mark King, James Jamerson ...

Ooh, bloke who knows his bassists!

I don't tend to go for the "virtuoso" bassists (can't help thinking "What's the point?"), but some of my faves are:

Bernard Edwards
Horace Panter
Norwood Fisher (made me buy my first Warwick )
Nathan Watts
Bruce Foxton
Pino Palladino
Louis Johnson
Verdine White
Andy Rourke
Leonard Hubbard
Matt Freeman
Les Claypool
Doug Wimbish (mostly for the stuff he did at Sugarhill Records)

Jaco and Jamerson go without saying. They took bass guitar out of the dark ages.
#81 - 5haz
I still can't belive nobody else has mentioned Eric Clapton!
Thanks a lot guys. This thread made me stop at the store and buy some new strings for my guitar.

So, now I'm officially "the best guitarist of all time!"

Hmm, I have guitar... with new strings... now what? LOL

I can play G, D, Am, and C cords. Theres just about 8 seconds of soundlessness between them, hehe.
#83 - th84
#84 - wark
Quote from thisnameistaken :Les Claypool

Woops! of course

Quote from mrodgers :now what?

Learn the E chords next. Think of an open E chord (022100) as form 1, and an A chord (x02220) as form 2. Learn the major, minor, dominant 7th, major 7th & minor 7th for each form. Then move the whole form up the neck for different chords (memorize the note of each fret for the first two strings (E & A strings all the way up to the 11th fret)). If the open E string is an E, the first fret will be an F, 2nd will be F#, 3rd will be G, etc.

These are barre chords. ex: 022100=E major, therefore (because the E string @ 3rd fret=G) 355433=G major, and so on and so forth. Same with form 2: if x(0)2220=A because the string in parenthesis=A, then x(7)9997=E because the A string on the 7th fret = E.

After you memorize that stuff, there are other simple open chords (at higher frets—better sounding than barre chords on acoustics). ex: 079900=E, 044200=F#m, 066400=G#m, 077600=A, 099800=B, (079900=E, 079800=Emaj7, x46600=C#m, x24400=B for form 2) to name a few. So instead of playing an Am like x02210, you could play 077500 (or x77500, or 577500—depending on how you want it to sound/what chords came before or are coming after).

Then there's a sort of third form (C shape and D shape (they are the same shape!)). Instead of looking to where your index finger is barring to determine the root, you look to where your pinky is fingering the A string. ex: x76454=E, x76444=Emaj7, x7675x=E7... etc.

Then there are adult (jazz) chords like 7x7899 that you'll probably never play

Next lesson is arps scales and modes. Hope that helped!
Quote from thisnameistaken :Learning to play is for chumps.

Must agree with our erstwhile friend here, even though anything with more than 4 strings confuses the poor lad...(not withstanding the fact that it would appear he's suggesting you buy a 1920's telephone exchange http://www.bugbrand.co.uk/pages/modular.htm to make you sound better )

I'd say slap on a double drop D tuning and you'll be playing just about anything from John Lee Hookers back catalogue within minutes.
#87 - wark
That reminds me... best slide guitarist (professed by Eric Clapton):

Blind Willie Johnson.
Mark Knopfler
Quote from wark :Woops! of course

Learn the E chords next.......

Er..... yea...... it was a rhetorical question.....

I put the guitar away while at work. I come home, get it out, and the kids attack wanting to play.... Hence the reason for within the last 3 years, only learning the first 4 chords and needing 8-10 seconds to form and play switching between them, hehehe.
Quote from mrodgers :Er..... yea...... it was a rhetorical question.....

I put the guitar away while at work. I come home, get it out, and the kids attack wanting to play.... Hence the reason for within the last 3 years, only learning the first 4 chords and needing 8-10 seconds to form and play switching between them, hehehe.

Hey.
You can use a chord called Power Chord. Its used a lot in rock/metal and is basic/easy to do. Works in all notes and only 2/3 fingers is needed. The power chord is used to do rhythmic sound. Any crappy guitar player can do it

Here it is: http://www.guitar-newbie-central.com/images/Power_Chords.jpg

Next you learn to do palm mute sound and you can play metal riffs :P
#92 - wark
Quote from tiagolapa :Hey.
You can use a chord called Power Chord. Its used a lot in rock/metal and is basic/easy to do. Works in all notes and only 2/3 fingers is needed. The power chord is used to do rhythmic sound. Any crappy guitar player can do it

Here it is: http://www.guitar-newbie-central.com/images/Power_Chords.jpg

Next you learn to do palm mute sound and you can play metal riffs :P

"Power chords" are just the first three strings of a barre chord; a triad with no third... just the 1st, 5th & 8th (tonic and dominant).
#94 - JJ72
errr why is Herman Li up the list
Peter Marchant . He is my cousin . He plays for The Naishon.
Quote from 5haz :I still can't belive nobody else has mentioned Eric Clapton!

Try reading page 2 of this thread...Clapton is mentioned a few times!...Once by me, at least!)

Just remembered another legend...Django Reinhardt
#97 - wark
Some fingerstyle artists to mention: Leo Kottke, Doyle Dykes, Chet Atkins, Les Paul... Phil Keaggy

Oh, and Al Di Meola!
brian may, though whoever it is who play guitar in children of bodum are ruddy good too.
Quote from egghed6 :hendrix is not overrated...hes amazing-the first person to widely introduce shredding

Yes, I respect him for the evolution he introduced in guitar playing, but he's really far from being "the best" guitarist and you'll find a legion of people claiming that he was a living god . In that sense Hendrix is overrated by many people.

By the way... asking for the best (in every field) it's something useless, as it's dependant on too many factors... it's a very subjective opinion, but I like these threads, you always discover a new musician that worths listening to him

P.S: I have the same guitar as your mate have, but mine it's the cheaper one instead the top spec

Quote from SilverArrows77 :On another note, it always surprises me when people rate Kirk Hammett so highly as the guitarist of Metallica

In my honest opinion Kirk Hammet it's just crap

Do you want to play like Kirk Hammet? Here are a few tips:
- Learn the pentatonic minor, don't waste your time learning other scales, you just don't need them
- If your technique it's not enough for a solo to sound clean then add more distortion
- When you don't know how to do with a solo then go for a one string pentatonic descendant tapping, crowds really like that millions notes flying out of your fingers
- Oh, and don't forget to let everyone know that you've "learned" with Joe Satriani :guitarist

Quote from wark :Oh, and Al Di Meola!

I hardly recommend watching this video

Paco de Lucía it's pure genius... he didn't even know what a scale was, he played all by ear and he almost own Di Meola and McLaughlin on that tour

I personally don't like very much the Al Di Meola (picky - picky - picky... 100 km'h) style, but he's a great guitarist no doubt
Not the greatest but Jeff Waters should have got a mention by now.

best guitarist of all time
(178 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG