The online racing simulator
Lew 1s
(141 posts, started )
How do you know about the almanac?
#27 - 5haz
Hamilton will likely never win a championship.

Sadly thats what fame does to people, it changes the most down-to-earth people into arrogant madmen. Motorsport is full of hype, just look through a copy of Autosport and you will see whole pages or articles congratulating drivers simply for finishing 10th while less well known, lower budget competitiors get no recognition.

Theres so much corporate crap in f1 now that the drivers are trained to be robots, they are almost sold like a product (I wouldnt be supprised if soon we start getting flogged a Lewis Hamilton clothes range!), you don't see stuff like Hakkinen breaking down and crying at Monza back in 99 (or was it 2000?), because that wouldn't look good for the sponsors and companies involved, the drivers are basically more advertising space.

I have to admit that I'm sick of Hamilton's face being pasted on the front of nearly every single issue of Autosport.

I wonder what will happen if Hamilton fails to win the championship this year, I reckon the nation will dump him like they did with Jenson Button, I often forget that Jenson is still in F1 because he never gets a mention anywhere, its always 'Hamilton this' 'Hamilton says that'.

BTW Tristan, although I agree with you, you do half love to throw your weight around here don't you!
Quote from thisnameistaken :That's brilliant.

the irony of it all was that fillipi didnt win the race in either of those laps after his incompetent mechanics put his teammates tyres on his car

it was one of the funniest weekends of racing ive ever seen... at top level motorsports anyway
the track was beyond filthy... the marshalls were completely useless (most of race 2 was spent behind the safety car thanks to the marshalls requiring several laps to pull a car out of the gravel which also lead to race 2 ending when the clock went down to 0... something that the marshalls couldnt quite figure out how to deal with either so they did let them drive one more lap after the time was up and then annouced the race winner during that lap)
best bit was when one driver came to the pits with a bent suspension arm which the mechanics fixed with a hammer "like i always say if you cant fix it with a hammer it really is broken"

gp2 has lost a lot of its appeal now that itv does the commentating... i just love the eurosport way of calling stupid moves something youd see in formula ford
Quote from tristancliffe :How do you know about the almanac?

Coz your spelling goes a bit iffy when you're drunk...

Yes folks, it's "Who can tell the crappiest joke day" today. Next..
The problem with Hamilton is the press building him up and making him into someone he aint. In Britain (cant speak for any other country) we have a great habbit of building a sportsperson up, only to knock them down again as soon as the media can. It's the same with Beckham/Terry/Button(there's never any Scots I can think of, we are that bad ), but as soon as they are proclaimed to be the next best thing, we start hating them.

IMO, Hamilton seems to be arrogant and cocky, and some may say "well thats what you need to be to be a winner", I can see the point however it can get confussed with self belief. There is a fine line between arrogance and self belief, and I think Lewis is starting to listen to the hype, and getting arrogant...the final straw was the inability to accept blame for the crash in Canada.
^It's true. When someone has countless strangers telling them they're just swell beyond believe and have celebrities approaching them to introduce themselves, they're winning races in the world's #1 motorsport, etc, I can see how a lot of people would be susceptible to a swollen globe.

Other drivers obviously deal with their own pressure, but the British media really does seem to be in a league of its own. That having been said, his lack of a real apology in Canada and not wishing to own up really left a bitter taste. I half-supported him before but that was dissapointingly revealing.
#32 - JJ72
I kind of feel for him in a way though, the pursue of excess is in many ways a rebuff from a lack of materialistic security in ones earlier part of life.

When you were for a long time living by the skin of your teeth, and suddenly you have money, you will have the urge to wave it around.
Quote from Intrepid :lol oh dear Tristan. That post says more about your insecurities, and own issues than it ever does about Hamilton. Thanks for that made my day.

Jesus Al, you need to wake up and smell the play-doh, your just like my father totally love blind with Hamilton, Hamilton is an arrogant troll who isn't a team player at all infact, what does everyone think that if he was in a team situation where he was required to pull over to let his team mate win for championship purposes?

I really can't understand some people, especially when they are giving Lewis benefit of the doubt, when it's obvious to see, he has no respect for those in the Slower F1 cars to him which is offensive to me, because I respect all the F1 drivers. Yes. Including Ralf Schumacher........
Quote from BlueFlame :he has no respect for those in the Slower F1 cars to him which is offensive to me, because I respect all the F1 drivers. Yes. Including Ralf Schumacher........

Actually Hamilton's got something in common with Ralf Schumacher: A couple of years ago Ralf got done for slamming into the back of a car stopped at a red light. I think he had another endorsement on his license at the time too, and there was talk of him potentially losing his license (including his super-license) if he screwed up again on the roads.
Tristian if u are ever an f1 driver and you get like that can we come beat you up?
I don't especially like or care about Hamilton, his driving talent is unmistakable though. His panic reactions aren't very good, but you have to agree that we all have our eye ON him to find a fault. It's the media's fault for passing him as the next best thing. Not his. He never said anything.

As for being smug or arrogant, maybe he finds it funny how the mobs overreact to anything. I don't think he actually cares about fans or anything. He's not in Hollywood. His ratings won't affect his championship points.

Humility is shown in real life and not in front of angry reporters elbowing each other with microphones and cameras to get the good shot or phrase, that will end up in a newspaper most likely hanging him.

So unless any of you know him well personally, it is IMPOSSIBLE to judge him properly. You all know how media is and how much it can distort a person...
I can't say I hate him, but I can't say I like him either. I think LEW1S is the same kind of bastard like good old Montoya was. Likes crashing his car everytime there's a chance to do so or even when there isn't. Likes to blame everyone except for himself. He is also as much arrogant as good old Monty was (and I am sure still is). All in all, he's a kind of person that doesn't deserve to be respected...
Quote from BenjiMC :its one thing to not like the guy, but to fabricate stuff like he wont take the blame is just sad...

"It's just unfortunate when stuff like this happens, but I have no argument with the stewards.”

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/6/7902.html

Actually on that occasion I wonder how much of it was Hamilton and how much of it was penned for him by McLaren's PR department. They're not going to let their championship-contesting driver admit guilt where a penalty might be involved.

I'd agree it's a good reason to dislike McLaren though. You wouldn't get any of that crap with Williams.
This thread may be the first time I've ever agreed with Intrepid.
Quote from BenjiMC :its one thing to not like the guy, but to fabricate stuff like he wont take the blame is just sad...

"It's just unfortunate when stuff like this happens, but I have no argument with the stewards.”

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/6/7902.html

It wasn't unfortunate, it was dumb. He also said "If I ruined Kimi's race then I apologise"

If?

I fear that the only one who is believing the Lewis hype is Lewis himself. Just shows you should never walk into a front running team for your first season. He would probably be a more rounded and well liked character if he had served his time and learnt his trade with Torro Rosso or someone like that.
That is one bitchy opening post.
Nor I'm an active forum member, nor anybody cares, but... this thread may be of those rare ones when I think that tristan is right
Quote from Storm_Cloud :It wasn't unfortunate, it was dumb. He also said "If I ruined Kimi's race then I apologise"

If?

I fear that the only one who is believing the Lewis hype is Lewis himself. Just shows you should never walk into a front running team for your first season. He would probably be a more rounded and well liked character if he had served his time and learnt his trade with Torro Rosso or someone like that.

He apologised, end of. As for the rest f your post... mbah
Harsh but true, dissapointed with the way Hamilton is turning out, on track its great most of the time, apart from the mistakes, but his attitude is turning me against him. Go Kubica!
Quote from Mackie The Staggie :The problem with Hamilton is the press building him up and making him into someone he aint. In Britain (cant speak for any other country) we have a great habbit of building a sportsperson up, only to knock them down again as soon as the media can. It's the same with Beckham/Terry/Button(there's never any Scots I can think of, we are that bad ), but as soon as they are proclaimed to be the next best thing, we start hating them.

IMO, Hamilton seems to be arrogant and cocky, and some may say "well thats what you need to be to be a winner", I can see the point however it can get confussed with self belief. There is a fine line between arrogance and self belief, and I think Lewis is starting to listen to the hype, and getting arrogant...the final straw was the inability to accept blame for the crash in Canada.

And not only sports. Also some British popartists have left the island because of the media.

And for the attitude. You can't be the nicest guy on the track and a champignon. Schumacher wasn't a nice guy too for most of his career. But he was a great driver and a winner, and i think so will be Hamilton.
Quote from marzman :And not only sports. Also some British popartists have left the island because of the media.

And where did they move to? Millionaires don't move to tax havens because they're trying to avoid the media.
Quote from marzman :
And for the attitude. You can't be the nicest guy on the track and a champignon. Schumacher wasn't a nice guy too for most of his career. But he was a great driver and a winner, and i think so will be Hamilton.

But theres a fine line between having a winners attitude, and an arrogant attitude. A prime example for me was the late Tommy Burns (Scottish footballer, this may go over the head of the rest of you guys) but on the pitch, he would go through you to get the ball if you were in the way, and played as a winner. However off the field a nicer guy you could not find, and he showed that in front of the cameras too. My point beinf is you don't need to have an arrogant attitude to win, it's something that can acttualy hold you back.
Quote from 5haz :...they are almost sold like a product (I wouldnt be supprised if soon we start getting flogged a Lewis Hamilton clothes range!)

Almost? F1 drivers are a product, as this thread confirms. Why does anyone care what Lewis Hamilton is like? How many of you are likely to be asked to dinner chez Lewis?

This thread is simply about examining the commodity closely, checking it for flaws, asking yourself "Has it been used, is it pristine enough, should I haggle and ask for a little bit off?"

"Racing is life... everything before and after is just shopping."

If you're behind the wheel, then maybe you can't see that even then you're just piloting a very fast strapline. Its got to be disappointing when you step onto the tarmac and realise this. After every race.

Kimi rules, because he makes out like he can take it or leave it. Who knows if its true...

Lew 1s
(141 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG