The online racing simulator
Start date isn't a problem, it's like Mrs said, between 16.00-20.00GMT, just keep those hours open!

I noticed in my first race a problem, the lag. I've a strong computer, play several games online, don't have any fps problems, even not in online races on LFS with 20 players and so on, but somehow in the OLFSL race I had lag, and not a little bit. I'm wondering how it comes ? Can it be a hosting thingy ? Was it cause of the rally dust ? Raced after the 2 races sunday at another host with 18 people in it, no problem at all, fps stayed around 65, in the OLFSL it was like 15 only ... never drove LFS in such low fps on my computer.
What could be the reason ?
maybe it was me, I'm having major connection problems since yesterday evening (you might noticed that I was d/c from the server). Rang my ISP today and they told me that they have some unknown probs in my area

so maybe it was my isp

3j
ideas
I think quali b4 the race would be a good idea to make it more realistic.

or even on the saturday b4 race day, 20-30 mins quali.

Also maybe have 2 shorter races instead of one long one like the rallyx event, this also evens it out more if people have accidents, damge cars, lag out or get disconnected for any reason. one incident would'nt ruin your race.

People who join half way through the season should not be able to take points off those who do the complete season. It is not fair if they do.(part timers) By all means let them race but score them seperately.

They affect the overall points scoring and the championship positions.
quali on day before the race is not a good idea imho, as some of us still manage to have a life apart from lfs / or have a family + kids who want to see her daddy not sitting in front of the pc

about the race lenght: I'm not sure, I mean 2 shorter races give you always a 2nd chance after a bad race or accident, but on the other side I really liked the last two "longer" races cause you really had to think about a tatic before the race, like the decision r2 or r3 at the front

but I agree a bit with your last point
Quote from three_jump :but I agree a bit with your last point

noted
Hope this belongs here..

Since the lagstart came up in the BL2 thread, I thought to insert my thoughts here.
Laglap is very good thing and it should be normal thing to be done in the beginning of every race. How long should it be depends quite much which the track-car combo is. About 20-30 seconds (at tops) could be nice: almost all cars should have passed T1 and maybe couple more turns.

I also suggest that the transition from lagstart to real start should be made with /restart instead of going back to "lobby screen". It might be bit confusing for some at first, but I think it could be more "safer" considering lag-problems. At least I think so.
lagstart
thanks for your insight into the lagstarts.

Last race was my first full hosting of a pool (pool 2), only one thing went wrong so I'm quite pleased. I can't remember how long I did the lag start for, wasn't 30 seconds though

But yes, I did do the /restart instead of /end this time, as I can see people's point that this would undo the good of the lag start!
acutally
As well call it a lag lap, why not do one whole lap?
Quote from russraine :As well call it a lag lap, why not do one whole lap?

That wouldn't be very fluent with longer tracks.

Worst thing that can happen in lagstart is that the start goes really well. Then it's time to start again and well, "lightning won't hit the same spot in a row very likely, with strictly given circumstances"
Quote from Julppu :I also suggest that the transition from lagstart to real start should be made with /restart instead of going back to "lobby screen". It might be bit confusing for some at first, but I think it could be more "safer" considering lag-problems. At least I think so.

Hmm, Is it me or others who are confused about a real "lag start"?

My view on it is that some peoples pc lag when going from the loading screen into a race as so many people are joining, so what happens is we go into race and have a restart which is way less laggy as no one has to actually join the race.
I think we need to use a layout again for the upcoming FE Club rev LX4 race!? I might overdone with objects in the pic, but 3 of those big red-white barriers to every "bend" in the pic (9 objects in total) should be enough. So if someone still tries to cut, they will probably take off and when they land - car will be damaged and there is a good chance that they have to use the reset function, too. I think (or actually hope) that everyone will get to lap 2 safely when they take T1/T2 easier.
Attached images
lyt_1.jpg
Quote from Renku :So if someone still tries to cut, they will probably take off and when they land..

.. there will be a damn big mess :doh:

isn't that track narrow enough already? illepall
If one drives the T1 just a bit wide and wants to avoid spinning and maintain some speed, then one will most certainly hit those barriers on right (the second ones in the picture). In my opinion the obstacles on left (both ones) are totally unnecessary, since cutting those corners that deep is a pretty large risk in itself.

There shouldn't be more obstacles on that track-car combo, since spinning is very likely to happen and the walls and very small safetyareas are nuisance enough.

Then again, I just suck at driving and it might very well be that no-one else sees these things problematic.
Quote from Renku :car will be damaged and there is a good chance that they have to use the reset function, too.

Oh, and resetting isn't allowed with this combo, right?
Quote from Julppu :Oh, and resetting isn't allowed with this combo, right?

khkmm, that's my point...I hope that in this way, people will drive the T1/T2 carefully, cos there lies a great danger ahead .

Actually I'm known to be "T1ophobic", so maybe I'm the only one that sees this as a problem .
Quote from Julppu :Oh, and resetting isn't allowed with this combo, right?

Yup, normal OLFSL rules.
Well i don't like the idea - at least not with barriers. Maybe couple of tyres to ease us hosts work to observe if racers are following the "two wheels on track"-rule.

More info about this will pop up to the site tonight.
as long it#s at least two days before the event....

Imho I don't like the idea of putting barriers in that chicane, the Car is already really tricky to drive and spins really easy (found out yesterday while hotlapping grrr...).
I think it will be hard enough to survive 60 laps with the normal layout, no need to make corners even more difficult than they already are...

3j

PS: shouldn't this be posted in the thread for the race and not under improvement suggestions?
Quote from three_jump :as long it#s at least two days before the event....

If it doesn't make ppl change their driving lines or learn something new, we can announce it an hour before the first race if we feel it's necessary :crown:
hmm, but some of us need to know how the track they race on is looking. To acclimate to the new environment...
It's like painting your room in a different color, it's still the same room but looks different now
Adding a layout changes the visual perception of the chicane and some just want get used to the difference BEFORE the race
(note: this doesn't have to mean that we are cutting the chicane and have to find the right line)

3j
Quote from three_jump :hmm, but some of us need to know how the track they race on is looking. To acclimate to the new environment...
It's like painting your room in a different color, it's still the same room but looks different now
Adding a layout changes the visual perception of the chicane and some just want get used to the difference BEFORE the race
(note: this doesn't have to mean that we are cutting the chicane and have to find the right line)

3j

You just don't recognize a joke when you see one, huh?..

I don't think there will be a layout.
Wasn't a real joke as this already happend....

I'm pretty relaxed about layouts this time, so gentlemen (and womans) place your tires
It was a necessary layout, approved by the OLFSL Appeals Arbiter and published as soon as possible. It never caused anyone to change how they drive or where they drive, unless it was already against the rules. It was published as soon as we noticed we needed one. Will you let it go already??
And yes, it WAS a joke.

The staff decides if we need a layout. It is published when possible. Sometimes it happens at the last minute, but since it had no effect (unless you broke the rules and that is the reason you made such a big deal about it ) it was ok to publish it so late. Let me remind you, that the layout was created that afternoon and we put it online immediately, so it was there at least an hour before it was posted on the site.. Plenty of time to get used to it.. unless - as I said already - you were breaking the rules..
I don't wanna start this discussion again, do you?

I didn't had to adjust my driving line last time (pointed that out serveral times now ) when the layout was introduced...
What I said was that it didn't help much at all, cause it was even more difficult to pass there... (or getting passed, I think Bawbag will agree here )

Hmm, can we just enjoy the last race for this season and take some time off after? Season was long with hard races, time for a break

EDIT:
as said above, putting tires somewhere changes the perception of this area..
The track is still the same but it looks a lot smaller

EDIT 2:
I did some karting a few years ago, and there was a similar thing. A chicane (left, right, left, right, left) with "high" curbs which had two lines. A slowerer one not using the curbs, and the faster one with "jumping" over the curbs. You had to hit the curbs as hard as possible to get a decent laptime, cause everyone drove this line without even lifting the throttle
Long story short: If there is the opportunity to drive faster with cutting corners, everyone will use it. (So as long it's HLVC, and as most of us are already doing hotlaps, everyone will drive the fastest line as possible...)
Quote from three_jump :I don't wanna start this discussion again, do you?

Certainly not, that is why I asked you if you could let it go already.

Break or no break, I'm fine either way. Race Calendar will be out soon after this season.

[moved OLFSL] Improvement suggestions
(105 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG