The online racing simulator
Let me go faster than 718km/h please!
Hi,

I have found that it is impossible to go faster than 718km/h, LFS just resests the car.

Using Mechanik I have created something that could easily hit 1000km/h if LFS would let me.

Please could the 'reset speed' be made configurable so I can attempt the sound barrier?

Thanks,

Chris
Yeah, Scawen will fix/implement this very important issue ASAP, because you know, he's really searching for something to do.

Sorry, but :rolleyes:
The sound barrier is a peculiar thing, and it would be silly to program a racing sim that has much slower cars (max. circa 200mph) with the compressible flow equations. Therefore it resets you.

I see absolutely no reason to change that unless Scawen has plans to WSR 'cars', which I doubt.

Remember - big speeds/power/wheels does not a good driver/person/racer make.
As a little history lesson LFS has reset you at ~444mph for a long time, since pre S1 days (unfortunataly I cant give you an exact version number).
I can see where this might head....

Someone asking scawen to just remove the reset functionality once u hit the 444mph mark....AND THEN

Someone is bound to start complaining this is a sim so why the hell are we just able to get to those rediculous speeds regardless of the effects once the speed of light(:razz is reached.

How about getting your speed near that mark then get the brakes on and keep the car on the track and finish the lap...should make an interesting replay.

My 5 cents
Quote from cmckowen :I can see where this might head....

Someone asking scawen to just remove the reset functionality once u hit the 444mph mark....AND THEN

Someone is bound to start complaining this is a sim so why the hell are we just able to get to those rediculous speeds regardless of the effects once the speed of light(:razz is reached.

How about getting your speed near that mark then get the brakes on and keep the car on the track and finish the lap...should make an interesting replay.

My 5 cents

No worries, been there, done that and posted the replay - which unfortunately doesn't work, get some wierd OOS error. Download the setups and try for yourself. You can go round the corners of the oval at 550 before the suspension buckles under the loading. You can do at least 2 laps of blackwood before the suspension and tyres give up.

Note that I asked it to be configurable not removed. Chances are this is a very easy thing to do, just read the value from a text file. If I was a programmer (which I am) I would think it was a cool idea. It's not my program so all I can do is request that they do it and hope they agree. It's not your lots game either so unless you speak for the devs, please shut up. Thanks
Sorry to break it down to you, but this is one of the most useless feature requests ever. Having a configurable speed limit that can only be reached by hacking the game anyways... illepall. Look, I'm a programmer myself, and while adding a configurable limit would only take half an hour, you still have to realise that putting such things in a professional product is a waste of time, period.

There already is a incredibly long list of other improvement suggestions, some of them very useful, some less, but your suggestion would linger at the bottom of that list... no actually it wouldn't be put on it at all.

I don't mean that personal, really, it's just... a waste of time. *sigh* I'm at loss of words here.
you can go faster if you set your dfp higher than 720°
Quote from AndroidXP :I don't mean that personal, really, it's just... a waste of time. *sigh* I'm at loss of words here.

You aren't doing the coding so I don't think you can decide what a waste of time is. I'm absolutely sure the devs have tried it for fun, I would like to as well.
You know, I bet they haven't tried it for fun...
if the reset thing is removed then going any faster will most likely result in the car falling through the ground due to missed collisions
Odd request. I wouldn't have thought the inability to break the sound barrier was something that needed looking at in a car sim...but I'm sure the devs are sitting around twiddling their thumbs thinking of stuff to do, so you never know, they might read this and get inspired.
but why was the limt put in in the first place? i see no reason for it being there.
#14 - Vain
1. While approaching the sound-barrier the physics change. LFS would just be unrealistic.
2. Propably the collision detection (with the ground) isn't checked fast enough to go over 718km/h. That means that boyond that speed you'd drive through the ground and LFS wouldn't notice because it can't check that often.

Vain
Maybe Scawen just put the max speed to 200m/s? Or he thought that as soon as you move more than 0.1m per physics step the whole system becomes garbage? Who knows. The limit is there and it will not be moved, because it is completely irrelevant to the game. No car ingame even reaches half the speed of that limit. Any time spent to make that limit configurable is wasted time. Why do I feel like I'm repeating myself here
Quote from AndroidXP : Why do I feel like I'm repeating myself here

Because you are and it doesn't make your oppinion any more important than anyone elses.
No it doesn't, but it's so frustrating seeing somebody seriously think that such an unimportant feature would ever be implemented.

Quote from southamptonfc :Because you are and it doesn't make your oppinion any more important than anyone elses.

it's not really Android's oppinion, there are simply reasons why the limit exists. For one, the physics of air change significantly at that speed, and my guess is those physics aren't implemented. Secondly, I doubt the collision model would be able to detect your car on the ground, so you'd fall right through.

Scawen didn't just put that limit in there to spoil people's fun, I'm sure if LFS could cope with those speeds, you could make cars that go that fast.

I'm not saying breaking the sound barrier is stupid, what you do with LFS is up to you, but it's not what LFS is designed to do. Scawen has lots of other things to do before programming supersonic physics.
Quote from AndroidXP :No it doesn't, but it's so frustrating seeing somebody seriously think that such an unimportant feature would ever be implemented.

Deal with it, that's what this forum is for, there's no such thing as a stupid question.
Quote from 96 GTS :it's not really Android's oppinion, there are simply reasons why the limit exists. For one, the physics of air change significantly at that speed, and my guess is those physics aren't implemented. Secondly, I doubt the collision model would be able to detect your car on the ground, so you'd fall right through.

Scawen didn't just put that limit in there to spoil people's fun, I'm sure if LFS could cope with those speeds, you could make cars that go that fast.

I'm not saying breaking the sound barrier is stupid, what you do with LFS is up to you, but it's not what LFS is designed to do. Scawen has lots of other things to do before programming supersonic physics.

I'm not asking for physics to be improved, please read the original post. If there are reasons 718 is the max speed because the physics and game engine breaks down, then fine. I see what you're saying but you aren't a dev, its just speculation.
what are you gonna do at that speed anyway? lol car makers cant even imagine that number.. plus, even if a car could go that fast... then what? you cant do anything but stop.. if you would even live, aerodynamics would have to be insane at that speed..

(plus.. where'd you even find the room to go that fast?)
#22 - Vain
I guess it's more a "I want to do it because I can with my (tweaked) car"-thing than "I need +718km/h for proper racing".
The problem is that such insane speeds are beyond the scope of LFS. The physics aren't the same near the sound barrier and we'd also need to beef up the number of physics cycles per second, which raises the hardware requirements.
Again, you will say something along the lines of "stfu, I want a statement from Scawen", but as Scawen usually isn't that talkative I thought I'd tell you why the limitation is there, so you don't have to wait for ever for your explanation.

Vain
Quote from Vain :I guess it's more a "I want to do it because I can with my (tweaked) car"-thing than "I need +718km/h for proper racing".
Vain

Exactly, it's a bit of fun!!
Quote from Vain :IThe problem is that such insane speeds are beyond the scope of LFS. The physics aren't the same near the sound barrier and we'd also need to beef up the number of physics cycles per second, which raises the hardware requirements.
Again, you will say something along the lines of "stfu, I want a statement from Scawen", but as Scawen usually isn't that talkative I thought I'd tell you why the limitation is there, so you don't have to wait for ever for your explanation.

Vain

"we'd also need to...." Are you a dev? I think your statement imples that an FX-57 runs the same amount of physics cycles per second as a Pentium3. If you have the source code, I'd really like a copy I'm not requesting physics improvements, simply configurability of the reset speed. If Scawen doesn't reply, fine, I posted this as a request and if they read it then cool.
but we will NEVER have a car that will GOOO that fast.. in life; so how are we even supposed to GUESS how physics react at those speeds on ground?!
Obviously Vain's not a dev, that's why he's taking an educated guess at why you can't go 719+kph...e.g. that it would indeed require significant physics improvements (and, as suggested above, a lot of guess work on the handling of a supersonic race car) for it to work, even though it would be utterly pointless (in the realm of car simulation)

But you never know - Scawen may well reply to this question...

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG