The online racing simulator
Couple Of Questions about upgrade
Hi.

A few months ago I created a thread about how to upgrade my laptop to get better performance out of it. I have just purchased a new Fujitsu Siemens with 2gb ram, 250 GB HDD and 1.8 Processor. This is the spec :

Product DescriptionFujitsu Siemens AMILO Pi 2512 - Pentium Dual Core T2370 1.73 GHz - 15.4" TFTDimensions (WxDxH)35.8 cm x 25.5 cm x 3.6 cmWeight2.8 kgSystem TypeNotebookBuilt-in DevicesStereo speakers, wireless LAN aerialProcessorIntel Pentium Dual Core T2370 / 1.73 GHz ( Dual-Core )Cache MemoryL2 CacheRAM2 GB (installed) / 2 GB (max) - DDR II SDRAM - 667 MHz - PC2-5300 ( 2 x 1 GB )Card Reader4 in 1Hard Drive250 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpmOptical StorageDVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM - integratedDisplay15.4" TFT 1280 x 800 ( WXGA ) - BrilliantViewGraphics ControllerIntel GMA X3100Memory Allocation TechnologyDynamic Video Memory Technology 4.0Audio OutputSound cardTelecomFax / modem - 56 KbpsNetworkingNetwork adapter - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11gInput DeviceKeyboard, touchpadPowerAC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )BatteryLithium IonRun Time (Up To)2.5 hour(s)Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows Vista Home Premium

Now my older laptop which is around 12months old has a 1.2 Processor and a whopping 256mb ram with a 40gb HDD. The hard drive isnt a problem for my dad! but he wants to upgrade it abit so it just has abit more power whilst he uses it now and then. I also baught for it a Netgear Wireless 108MBPS Rangemax usb card and a new transformer! Now the processor and the ram is abit rubbish, so does anyone have any advice on how to make it faster? E.g What would make the best performance?

Looking forward to your replies!

Matty
#2 - Jakg
You can't upgrade the CPU on a laptop cheaply (i.e. £200+). The only thing you can really replace is the RAM and maybe the HDD.
Oh right thanks for that. Will the Ram make a big difference? Because it has a delay when loading microsoft word or Internet Explorer. - Also what would you recommend (512mb or 1gb?)

Matty
If it's XP, 256MB should be enough to run IE and Word, depending on what background tasks are running. I managed for a whole month when I got this PC

Putting in more RAM won't really make a drastic improvement, but if you found a good price on some, then go for it
On a lot of laptops the CPU is soldered to the motherboard.. on a few of them it is not.. you should check and see on yours.

I would also up the ram to 1-2gb.

After the above two are done.. back up all your important files and do a format and re-install of XP then tweak it as best you can.
HI,

Thanks for your replies, I will go for the ram then, im more confident with that! I just picked up my laptop now and im very impressed! - Trying to get used to Vista lol!

Matty

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG