The online racing simulator
New opera is out! 9.5
(52 posts, started )
#1 - Dmt
New opera is out!
#2 - Dmt
New opera is out! 9.5
nice double thread post on a crappy web browser.
stfu, mozilla is crappy.
Don't really like new looks, new default reminds me of IE or FF and it's not really easy for the eyes with heavy contrast. Old style layout ain't much better but atleast it more neutral. However they should have stick to old backround gradient because this one looks afwul on left once it starts to fade into beige.

Edit: Pages are definately rendered faster than before.
Edit2: Apparently it's 9.50 is kinda buggy. Fixes should be released within week or two as 9.51
I don't like the new colour scheme at all. The black text isn't good on a steel blue background. They seem to have forgotten that their logo is red and therefor the browser appearance should have at least some colour in it.

Other than that though, it's as fast and nifty as the previous versions. I love Opera and have since version 4 (before it was free!). I'll use it forever.
The new skin is horrible. In fact every application that doesn't look like my system theme is horrible. I don't understand why every application needs to look different. I carefully picked my system theme for a reason, use it.
I really hope they wil create a true native skin some day (no, the included "Windows native" is not a true native skin). I use Opera for a while now and it's basically my only complaint.
#8 - ajp71
I am trying Opera again. Overall I think I prefer Firefox, Opera is a bit overcomplicated for its own good, the smooth scrolling is a huge bonus though. I also can't make the torrents work.
There's a lot of stuff on by default in Opera that I don't think should be. I have absolutely no need for them and I assume the majority of "average" web surfers probably don't either.

I don't see your problem with torrents though - they just start downloading for me. Although they do seem to kill the browser stone dead for some reason. I prefer to find the files with Opera, cancel the downloads and then open them again with a dedicated torrent app.
Not sure if it's any better in 9.5 though.
My torrents just haven't done anything, they've just sat there at 0% with speed at ?/?. No error message and I can't find any torrents settings area.
Tools ->preferences->advanced->downloads->select torrent from the list->edit

(it allowes you to open torrents with some other application)
Yeah, 9.26 was VERY slow for me personally, but this one is fast. Great.
Quote from Dajmin :There's a lot of stuff on by default in Opera that I don't think should be. I have absolutely no need for them and I assume the majority of "average" web surfers probably don't either.

The only thing i can think of that's default on is the built-in torrent client and the session manager
email functions: disabled
newsgroup functions: disabled
chat function: disabled
read-out-loud: disabled - requires additional software
mouse gestures: enabled, but with 1st time notification dialog
spell checker: disabled - requires additional software
widgets: probably enabled, but no widgets installed by default

anyway, if you want to tweak opera, just type opera:config in the address bar (yes, that's a feature stolen from Firefox, woohoo) You can also disable the torrent client on that page.
It seems a lot stuff has been changed just for the sake of it. I tried the 9.5 but the functionality was a lot better in 9.2x even if it was a tad slower (very barely noticeable).

I'd recommend downloading 9.27 instead of the 9.5. It's simply better

EDIT: and back in 9.27
Came across another bug in 9.5 with these forums... topics that I visit are not marked as "read" unless I click the "Mark forum as read" which applies it to all topics...

Edit: Classic Opera 8/9.2x skin can be found here
Well, i've never used another browser apart from IE. I did try firefox but hated it. I like this opera though. I've downloaded it, along with some new skins etc and it looks really nice now. I like it
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :Well, i've never used another browser apart from IE. I did try firefox but hated it. I like this opera though. I've downloaded it, along with some new skins etc and it looks really nice now. I like it

May I ask what made you hate Firefox.

Opera fanboy here btw.
why isnt there a browser like ie 6 with open link in new background _window_ on middle mouse click and less vulnerability... atm every borwser is rubbish in some way or other and neither of them are cureable
I updated 2 days ago, it is sooooo damn fast.
Quote from Shotglass :why isnt there a browser like ie 6 with open link in new background _window_ on middle mouse click

(Opera)
Attached images
op95.png
yeah but opera does so many things completely wrong (alt texts... text rendering on wiki etc)
opera sucks firefox goes! (what am I talking about? it's 5:21am in here.. haven't slept yet) BUT I'M SAYING THE THRUTH1
Quote from Shotglass :yeah but opera does so many things completely wrong (alt texts... text rendering on wiki etc)

and exacly what does Opera wrong?
ALT texts are supposed to be shown when the img element is not displayed for whatever reason (hence the name, ALTernative). It does that just fine. The TITLE attribute is used to display a tooltip, wich is also does just fine.

The only browser that doesn't render wikipedia correctly is... drumroll... Internet Explorer 6. It fails to apply a smaller font to the references paragraph. I don't have IE7 over here so i can't see if the fixed it.
I liked O9.25 although it would bog down my 'puter on heavily scripted and flash sites. 9.5 though, I don't like it. Both skins could be better, but most of all I'm infuriated by the way it frequently prevents me from switching tabs while loading.

edit: Yeah, and the address bar drop-down items look.. bad.
edit: Seems cache handling has changed too, for the worse.

New opera is out! 9.5
(52 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG