The online racing simulator
i would love to see REAL damage..
when u smash in the wall 1000 parts flying around.. and ur car - done
= more reality
= more players will drive more safe
= more action
= more fun for sure ^^
I don't know about you guys.

But I do FEAR of getting bumped, crashed in LFS.
Quote from AndroidXP :Well, I don't. But atleast I'm prepared that there might be an obstacle on the track, activating my subconscious escape-route-search routine.

Heh, nothing personal (or dead serious for that matter ), but isn't this "I'm completely aware of the situation and can still drive as fast as possible" attitude the main cause of most real life crashes?
Well, good thing that LFS != RealLife™. Of course I'd slow down IRL, but in LFS the result of a crash doesn't really warrant the slowdown. Also, in LFS, most of the time a crash can be avoided or softened up when I know someone messed up beforehand.

The whole point of this thread is actually to change ^ this ^ by making crashes more severe. If a slight bump on the front could mess up my radiator, thus leading to engine overheating then I'd sure as f*** slow down
#30 - shim
yeah it would be interesting to see a piston fly out through the bonnet.. :P
If you want people to fear crashing in a 3 lap race you need a track lke the Monaco Grand Prix.
#32 - Vain
Quote from Rappa Z :If you want people to fear crashing in a 3 lap race you need a track lke the Monaco Grand Prix.

Two words: The Ring.
*runs away scared*

Vain
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
ive got it, but only one person will be able to arce at a time.

you book in a time to experiance 'real' racing and during this booked in time, i come over your house, and stand next to you. depending on the severity of the crash, i punch you in the head. if your a wrecker and crash really hard, i hit you with the sink.

that would bring fear to crashing.
I will hit you back
Quote from Hyperactive :But it's always the same thing with longer online races. There are people coming in and going out all the time and waiting 30 minutes or more for the race starts isn't really going to attract people on any server. I think the optimum race length for random online races is something between 20 and 35 minutes.

Yup, race weekends are good for singleplayer (if the AI ever gets better) and for leagues. I don't understand how some rFactor/GTR/GTL guys complaint about this fast and simple 3D shooter multiplayer style game joining. I don't want to join a server, practice a track for 30 mins which I already can drive fast enough and then drive a 20 min qualification, then a warm-up and finally the race itself.

Quote from EeekiE :When I host private servers for mates, we always have forced pit stops. It adds way more tension to the game

I agree. We need a fix that prevents the pitstop cheating on last lap.

Quote from Blowtus :I'd suggest we need more realistic crashes before we worry about more realistic damage... clipping the pit bay exit at 5km/h in real life doesn't launch you skyward, end over end

It's not about crash physcs itself more about the car model collision problems.
There are always people who are willing to take higher "risks". Having a more severe damage model will not change the fact that some fast people will be more prone to wrecking than a more conservative driver.

Also, some of the suggestions here might just make it too onerous to try and drive pick-up races. It only takes one dope to launch you into a wall. Then you are sitting in the pits for 20 minutes while you get fixed while everybody else is racing, including the dope that sent you into the wall. He may be very sorry he did it, but that doesn't change the fact that you can't race.

Leagues are great for long races and there is plenty of risk out there now. Get caught in the sand, or get flipped on your roof... you are done. I have seen it happen with just a few laps to go on a very long race. Not a happy moment. For pick-up races, you just have to expect some people to drive in stupid ways...
I agree that this is not somthing that needs to be implimented LFS wide but rather a server option for those that want a more serious feel to their online racing. We don't want to remove features that attract different crowds, just add more options for those that want them.

I still have fun in the not so sportman like races. It's great practice for my incident avoindance, perdiction and control skills. But some times I would like to race on a server where every one knows that its better to back off a bit and save the car for a better oppertunity.

I wish I had the time for a regular league but with my schedule and car preference its been difacult to find a league that will work for me.
Compare it to a shooting game, in some games (let's say America's Army, cause I know that). You say one guy sends you flying and you're out, while they play, in AA it's the same, if someone shoots you right at the start, you have to wait untill the game is finished before you can restart. Or even worse, a teammate shoots you and you have to wait a whole round. Only difference is that AA rounds are maximum 10 minutes
Quote from sgt.flippy :Compare it to a shooting game

QuakeWorld!

Someone crashes you out, you respawn pretty much instantly, sometimes inside someone else, crashing them out and giving you a point!
-
(deggis) DELETED by deggis
I think if you really want serious racing then a league is your only option and I don't see much changing that.
Leagues are tough over here in the States for us older fella's, you know, the ones who can't race during the day because they are too in touch with their feminine side and have to play Barbies during the day with the 2 and 5 yr old daughters . We only have 1 league in North America (er, the North American League) and to get everyone in, it is too late (right before bedtime for work) for us east coasters and too early (dinner time) for the west coasters. I run in it, but, it really makes Monday morning a real pain for the first day back to work.
Respawn as fast as you currently do, but 250m backwards from where you hit the button. Limit respawns to N/20 where N is the number of KM the race is. After that (rounded up) Respawn in the pits. Cars should respawn where they are with the same state of damage but flipped cars should come back the right way up.

IMO that would sort it.

People will driver faster in LFS than in real life. Just stop wallriding and Plato impersonations.
Quote from v4forlife :ive got it, but only one person will be able to arce at a time.

you book in a time to experiance 'real' racing and during this booked in time, i come over your house, and stand next to you. depending on the severity of the crash, i punch you in the head. if your a wrecker and crash really hard, i hit you with the sink.

that would bring fear to crashing.

Yes. Oh yes. That would so work. A real world crash simulator to bring the real experiance into your home.

'How did you get that black eye and broken arm Chris?'

'Oh. Crashed my FZR into the armco at a hundred and sixty.'

'Shit man. Hows tha car?'

'Oh the cars fine. Respawned and is running like a dream.'

'But'

'Oh the injuries? It's a pretty good simulation.'

'Must be.'
Got my vote that's for sure. I reckon we do away with restart and add more "damage" - it is a sim after all and not a game.
Yes, we do want to enjoy it and have fun, but play some arcade game if ya don't want to "feel real"
More realistic damage, please. I don't mean the the kind where every little detail of the car must come to parts, but the kind where if you shunt heavily then you cannot drive further.

I used to love the Nascar 2 game for the realism. I just couldn't get enough of the fact that if I crashed badly I needed to start all over again.
"Crashing needs to become painful to the point where it becomes feared. Whether that means no warping to the pits, no restarting, no rejoing a race in progress, reduced repair ability in the pits, etc"

NO NO NO NO

Why i love LFS ?? cause it includes quite real phisics model from the perspective of arcade game. Yes ! I love you can warp to PIT i love you can join , you can restart ! yes ! that what makes the LFS !! very easy and powerful about phisics!! And i dont want it to be changed. Are we goin for another GTR or what ? That what makes it different and that what makes it better. As I said - kinda hardcore driving model and very easy race options/settings/possibilities

let LFS stay this way
I'm afraid that I too agree there should be more consequences to incidents of a physical nature lol. Not much else to say, the first post says it well.
i think we are coming back to the "hardcore mode"-for-the-hardcore-drivers-and-"as-it-is-now mode"-for-everyone-else suggestion
Damage will be improved but the suspension damage in LFS is a great start and also the dirty tyres. Other games I've tried just don't seem to punish the driver for cutting the track and hitting the walls etc.

Keiran
-
(deggis) DELETED by deggis
There are good places to be had where good racing exists, but that aside.....

Maybe we can put these useless points to work in this aspect. Create a new server area so then we would have.... demo, main, advanced servers to choose from.

In the Advanced server connections it would cost you points to get your car fixed when you crash. If you run low on points you could go back to the main servers and win some races to build up your points again.

Hmmmmm........

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG